Sign in to follow this  
CrypTviLL

Carlos Carrasco 2019 Outlook

A colossal disappointment to date as we all know...I'm not terribly disappointed by this IL stint.  Personally I'm applying Chirinos/Plesac ointment to the wound and happy with the results.  I'd love to see him come back rock'n....but I can't have more of what he's been doing.  He's just slaughtered us this year with few exceptions. 

Didn't see this posted, but was in the locker room this Saturday. Still nothing specific or a timetable.  Is getting "treatment" which still could mean many things.  I'd probably feel comfortable dropping in redraft.  I'd be looking to buy in dynasty.  

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2019/06/cleveland-indians-chris-antonetti-looking-to-balance-present-and-future-at-trade-deadline.html

“He’s making progress," said Antonetti. "He’s working through his treatment and that’s really all I can say. Beyond that, we really can’t elaborate a whole lot, other than he’s doing well.”

It’s still unclear if Carrasco will be able to pitch again this year.

17 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

I'd say him being at the locker room is encouraging

I don't think it really means much. I mean he was playing in games with whatever he has. I think the fact this he's remained silent on the diagnosis at his own discretion speaks louder than anything. It's almost been a month and still not a peep.

47 minutes ago, KidDynamite420 said:

I don't think it really means much. I mean he was playing in games with whatever he has. I think the fact this he's remained silent on the diagnosis at his own discretion speaks louder than anything. It's almost been a month and still not a peep.

I mean at least he's not in the hospital

6 minutes ago, KidDynamite420 said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/tribe/2019/06/baby-steps-cleveland-indians-corey-kluber-works-in-bullpen-carlos-carrasco-plays-catch.html%3foutputType=amp

Looks like Carlos was playing catch. Article also stated the Indians aren’t sure if he’ll be able to pitch again this season.. 

Carrasco followed Kluber’s workout by playing catch. He has been on the injured list since June 5 with an unspecified blood condition. The Indians can’t comment on Carrasco’s condition because it is not a baseball-related issue. He is receiving treatment and it is not believed to be life threatening.

It’s possible that Carrasco could return to the mound before Kluber if his condition can be monitored. But that probably won’t be known for another two or three weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYOrangeNBlue said:

I’d be absolutely shocked if he plays again this year. 

I agree.  But it will be floated as a possibility for the ROS for him though to keep his spirits up during his treatments. 

1 hour ago, NYOrangeNBlue said:

I’d be absolutely shocked if he plays again this year. 

1:29: "I'll be back by the end of July" 

Leukemia is a very broad term guys. Especially when used colloquially, which can include a bunch of obscure catch all bone marrow diseases. Yeah it's universally not a good situation but even with this news a "timeline" is still really murky. 

Wishing him the best. 

The Rotoworld blurb on it:

Carlos Carrasco has been diagnosed with leukemia.

Carrasco has not pitched since the end of May and was placed on the injured list with a non-baseball medical condition, and it was announced that he was dealing with an unspecified blood condition; with the Indians not allowed to comment because it was not related to baseball. In an interview with a Dominican television station, Carrasco stated that after issues with his energy level, he underwent tests that revealed abnormally high plate levels, and then was diagnosed with the disease at the hospital shortly after. Carrasco also mentioned that the leukemia is currently "under control." Baseball is secondary to this, of course, but the 32-year-old also stated that he does intend to return at some point, although he doesn't say if 2019 is a possibility. We offer our best to Carrasco and his loved ones.

Source: CDN 37 News     Jul 6, 2019, 4:53 AM ET

I don't care how they spin it, this is life and death serious unless he is misusing the term.  Leukemia is one of the most deadly and fast moving forms of cancer and the hardest to keep under control.  So prayers and best wishes for him from everyone I am sure.

And I sure hope he did misuse the term and it isn't as bad as it sounds.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The Rotoworld blurb on it:

I don't care how they spin it, this is life and death serious unless he is misusing the term.  Leukemia is one of the most deadly and fast moving forms of cancer and the hardest to keep under control.  So prayers and best wishes for him from everyone I am sure.

And I sure hope he did misuse the term and it isn't as bad as it sounds.

Wow ... I am praying that he is getting caught up in the translation and misused the term. Never have owned the guy in fantasy but I sure have enjoyed watching him play

Thoughts and prayers CC.

Prayers up for Cookie, from all accounts his teammates have all said he's more than a really great player, he's a really great person.  From his interview, he has been quoted as saying he will be back at the end of July.  Is that realistic??  Seems suuuuper optimistic.  Anyone holding?

“At the end of May, they shut me down because they saw something wrong with my blood," Carrasco told CDN 37 in Spanish. "The doctors got a little worried and they sent me for a blood test, another blood test. The blood levels were off, the platelets were really high.

"The following week, my wife and I went to the hospital, and they told us I have leukemia. That’s one of the reasons why I’m not playing right now, but I’ll be back at the end of July."

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Prayers up for Cookie, from all accounts his teammates have all said he's more than a really great player, he's a really great person.  From his interview, he has been quoted as saying he will be back at the end of July.  Is that realistic??  Seems suuuuper optimistic.  Anyone holding?

“At the end of May, they shut me down because they saw something wrong with my blood," Carrasco told CDN 37 in Spanish. "The doctors got a little worried and they sent me for a blood test, another blood test. The blood levels were off, the platelets were really high.

"The following week, my wife and I went to the hospital, and they told us I have leukemia. That’s one of the reasons why I’m not playing right now, but I’ll be back at the end of July."

No it is totally not realistic if it is truly leukemia.  But doctors like to make their patients feel optimistic since a good mental attitude can be really helpful so maybe he actually believes it.

If it is proven realistic it defies anything I have ever read, heard or known about leukemia.  And for his sake I hope it does defy all of that.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No it is totally not realistic if it is truly leukemia.  But doctors like to make their patients feel optimistic since a good mental attitude can be really helpful so maybe he actually believes it.

Thats what I was thinking. Sadly. ☹️

• Like 1

Well he is playing catch so if it was truly that bad and he truly had no shot then he wouldn’t be out there. IMO he returns to a true throwing program sometime end of July. And come on guys let’s not act like he is a 6 year old and doctors are just saying things to make his feelings better. He must know what’s up.

2 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Well he is playing catch so if it was truly that bad and he truly had no shot then he wouldn’t be out there. IMO he returns to a true throwing program sometime end of July. And come on guys let’s not act like he is a 6 year old and doctors are just saying things to make his feelings better. He must know what’s up.

I hope you’re right. 

I hope the playing catch wasn’t like a “let me get on the field and throw a ball while I still can” (before heavy treatment begins)

Just now, Members_Only_76 said:

I hope you’re right. 

I hope the playing catch wasn’t like a “let me get on the field and throw a ball while I still can” (before heavy treatment begins)

I mean he played catch weeks after, while was shut down from all baseball activities immediately after. So yeah pretty sure it wasn’t that lol

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

I'm not saying he can't go into remission but that doesn't mean he can stop treatments or has "conquered" the cancer.  He does have a better chance to live given his age though.  I read on one site that people diagnosed under the age of 55 and can survive for the first 5 years have a 61% survival rate long term.

Anyone of any importance let alone a Cleveland player will have gone here for sure it being one of THE very best medical facilities in the country:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/4365-leukemia/outlook--prognosis

Apparently ALL and AML are different types though I don't understand same.  And I don't want to start a posting link thing here except this one was for the famed Cleveland Clinic where he would have been sent for sure.

Also the difference between "remission" and "cure" are two different things.  He is in remission now.  Not cured.  Thus the really wide spread of survival percentages on this page.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory