urban2014

Ryan McMahon 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

He has a six game hit streak just wondering if this is the start of a breakout or just a teaser.

Doesn't have the greatest schedule coming up.

Dodgers, Dodgers, Astros and a series against the Giants in between.

2 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

He has a six game hit streak just wondering if this is the start of a breakout or just a teaser.

I bit. 9 rbi's in the last 4 games (3 doubles) going into summer..

Will be hard pressed to find someone on FA with higher ceiling.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ham Porter said:

I bit. 9 rbi's in the last 4 games (3 doubles) going into summer..

Will be hard pressed to find someone on FA with higher ceiling.

I took a shot also, can’t beat getting for free

Predictably getting hot as he gets consistent playing time. He's actually top 40 in both exit velocity and exit velocity on fly balls. Could be some more power to come. 

Yeah he is good, great approach and he stays within himself. Nice to see he’s not just flailing away.

so, and I don't want to upset the Story owners, but if Story requires a DL stint, any chance McMahon moves up in the batting order to maybe #2?

16 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

so, and I don't want to upset the Story owners, but if Story requires a DL stint, any chance McMahon moves up in the batting order to maybe #2?

McMahon batting 6th today with Story out of the line-up.  Don't know where he had been hitting before this though.  But Story's replacement (Valiika) is batting 8th.

13 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

What's the upside on him? 

summertime in coors is all you need to know.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2019 at 12:56 PM, pierceNKC said:

summertime in coors is all you need to know.

I agree that there's nowhere better in the world to hit than Coors in the summer time and the vast majority of Rockies with regular playing time over the years have been worth owning.  However, despite his yearly spring training prowess, McMahon has done absolutely nothing ever in the regular season.  In 446 career AB, despite getting to play half his games at Coors, McMahon is batting an atrocious .242 with 12 HR and 3 SB.  Even in NL-only leagues, those numbers don't cut it.

The Rockies made a huge mistake letting DJ LeMahieu go and believing that McMahon was an adequate replacement.

Edited by FootballFan101

7 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

I agree that there's nowhere better in the world to hit than Coors in the summer time and the vast majority of Rockies with regular playing time over the years have been worth owning.  However, despite his yearly spring training prowess, McMahon has done absolutely nothing ever in the regular season.  In 446 career AB, despite getting to play half his games at Coors, McMahon is batting an atrocious .242 with 12 HR and 3 SB.  Even in NL-only leagues, those numbers don't cut it.

The Rockies made a huge mistake letting DJ LeMahieu go and believing that McMahon was an adequate replacement.

They had 2 options, McMahon and Hampson. Who knew both would suck.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

They had 2 options, McMahon and Hampson. Who knew both would suck.

Exactly.  I don't blame them at all for trying both of the prospects who were supposed to be pretty much can't miss.  Who knew DJ would actually become a better hitter after leaving Colorado too?

It's one of those situations, like my whole fantasy season so far, where you make the right moves but they just don't work out for whatever reason.  Unfortunately it happens.

23 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

And half of those ABs were in last year's season. Yep, the final chapter has been written. No players ever improve.

The Rox problem is NOT hitting, in that lineup they can afford to carry a guy who is currently hitting .265. It's pitching, they dont do it well.

Once McMahon either learns to hit it or lay off it (the high zone fastball) he'll be fine. He is 5 for his last 8 so maybe he is warming up, NAAA that can't be it, he has zero talent. That less than full year of ball shows that.

I don’t have hope for this guy in 2019. It’s more likely that Rodgers is given a chance to roll at second base when he returns and does well enough to keep the job. 

Well Rodgers is out for the year so McMahon will have his chance to show what he can do. I’m not optimistic. 

2 minutes ago, GratefulPhan said:

This guy heating up finally!?

Or he was just taking advantage of back to back series at home.  He has great splits already at home, but awful ones on the road.  He's going back on the road now, so I'm not optimistic.  Obviously I could be wrong, but we'll see I guess.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 10:31 PM, KilloWertz said:

Or he was just taking advantage of back to back series at home.  He has great splits already at home, but awful ones on the road.  He's going back on the road now, so I'm not optimistic.  Obviously I could be wrong, but we'll see I guess.

Well he just went yard "on the road", but does Yankee stadium short porch not count? Although it was a rocket. The dude is 23 years old. I like the guy and think he is going to be a solid major league hitter. How much upside? I won't predict lest I look as foolish as those predicting he's trash. 

Yes, I worry about ultra fast s--- up in the zone they get by him sometimes and the low and away used to make him look bad, but he's really starting to handle those pitches better (either by laying off or going away). The guy has an elite feel for the strike zone and his swing is a thing of beauty, combining those traits with continual improvement in pitch recognition could lead to very positive results. The consistent contact is still not there, but once it does he will be able to drive the ball in any stadium. I admit it's still a work in progress. 

This is baseball, most of the times you need to be patient. Most prospects are NOT Ronald Acunas. 

• Like 2

There is consistent playing time and he might be making adjustments.  Whatever it is, he looks dialed in much like he did in ST.  Again, not every prospect has a linear development curve.  Now that he is playing pretty much everyday perhaps things are slowing down for him and he's figuring it out.

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

There is consistent playing time and he might be making adjustments.  Whatever it is, he looks dialed in much like he did in ST.  Again, not every prospect has a linear development curve.  Now that he is playing pretty much everyday perhaps things are slowing down for him and he's figuring it out.

Yea amazing how experience actually benefits someone. Oh I am just being stupid, every big leaguer has been established before he was 24. If you don't make it by then, you stink. LOL. I think some fantasy owners have watched this sport for a year. 

• Haha 1

5 homers in his last 5 games. Slashing 295/375/634 since the all-star break.

Still strikes out too much and hits too many grounders, and is a mediocre real life player at this point, but he’s improved enough to be a very valuable fantasy player in Coors. Still young with a lot of room to grow.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:09 PM, BigPapi44 said:

Clap clap, one month later and even better.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

5 homers in his last 5 games. Slashing 295/375/634 since the all-star break.

Still strikes out too much and hits too many grounders, and is a mediocre real life player at this point, but he’s improved enough to be a very valuable fantasy player in Coors. Still young with a lot of room to grow.

Mentioned this in the WW thread, but he unfortunately has all away games this week.  The following week however he has a full slate all at home vs ATL, BOS, and PIT none of whom are known for their pitching prowess.

EDIT: also has been walking a lot recently so the potential volatility due to his Ks is a bit dampened in OBP/OPS/BB formats.

Edited by Baur10
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Another text book example is this thread, I love it. Ryan McMahon leads the Rockies in homers and rbis since the All Star break. IMAGINE THAT? The kid grew and is getting better by the day. It was such joyful reading all the "brilliant prognostications". This thread isn't the only place fantasy league players show how knee-jerk and idiotic they can be. I am not absolving myself of this (I've made a lot of dumbass moves as a fantasy owner), but one thing I do NOT do is write the final chapter on ANY player in baseball. The sport is just too damned hard to predict much of anything, and I don't care what kind of "indicators" you think you have. We are also dealing with kids in their early 20s, there is a vast amount of growth that occurs during those years. 

Far as Ryan McMahon, my comments on him even going back to last year have never wavered. I believe he is going to be an excellent hitter. As he is now letting his smooth swing generate the power he is showing, he's now starting to handle the high heat, etc. He hit a homer 455 feet last night, that's out in Detroit, so no need using the Coors Field excuse for him. He is also versatile on the diamond, able to play 3 positions with a high degree of competence. He isn't a huge base steal threat, but I think he could sneak out 10 at some point as he grows even more.

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1

That almost 50% GB rate and 15% swinging strike rate are not the best combination. Maybe at home those grounders turn into hits. 

• Like 1