SpecialFNK

Eduardo Rodriguez 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Well that was a nice start tonight. Had a shutout going into the 7th before giving up the bomb to Skates Jr, and he finished with no walks and 8 Ks. Did anybody watch? Did he look as good as the numbers suggest? 

Yeah he was sharp.  Locating and coming right after batters.  It is when he nibbles and takes a minute between pitches that he always ends up sucking as well as throwing tons of pitches and has to be pulled early even if he isn't getting beaten up.  Tonight is what Cora and staff have been pounding into his head since last year.  Get the ball, nod to the catcher, throw the ball, get the out.  The old Nike LaLoosh thing from Bull Duram.  "Don't think, meat."

It got him a perfect game until the last out in the fifth and a shut out until the last out in the seventh.  Hopefully he can repeat but in all honestly his gems from last year were like this.  Then he'd go out next time and forget all about this and start the damn nibbling again. He has the "ability" of turning 0-2 counts into 3-2 counts then walks like crazy when he hems and haws and shakes off the catcher etc after getting ahead in the count and starts with the damn nibbles again.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Hoping for something along the lines of: 5 IP, 6 K, 2 ER, 5 HA, 1 BB, W.

6 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

I'm guessing a flat out gem.

Somewhere in between?

so needed this 👍🏼

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah he was sharp.  Locating and coming right after batters.  It is when he nibbles and takes a minute between pitches that he always ends up sucking as well as throwing tons of pitches and has to be pulled early even if he isn't getting beaten up.  Tonight is what Cora and staff have been pounding into his head since last year.  Get the ball, nod to the catcher, throw the ball, get the out.  The old Nike LaLoosh thing from Bull Duram.  "Don't think, meat."

It got him a perfect game until the last out in the fifth and a shut out until the last out in the seventh.  Hopefully he can repeat but in all honestly his gems from last year were like this.  Then he'd go out next time and forget all about this and start the damn nibbling again. He has the "ability" of turning 0-2 counts into 3-2 counts then walks like crazy when he hems and haws and shakes off the catcher etc after getting ahead in the count and starts with the damn nibbles again.

He needs a shock collar that is triggered by shaking off a sign.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If this dude had any other uniform on other than SOX or NYY, he would be a nothing. Funny how Sox and NYY players keep the fire burning for expectations.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, CraftyRighty said:

If this dude had any other uniform on other than SOX or NYY, he would be a nothing. Funny how Sox and NYY players keep the fire burning for expectations.

There may be some truth to that, but the only reason I care about the name on the front of his uniform is that it tells me he plays for a team whose offense is likely to give him solid run support. Other than that...I could care less who he plays for. It doesn't have any affect on whether or not I notice him or draft him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

Being on the Red Sox is part of it.  But this guy was actually a very solid pitcher in the first half of last year with a decent K rate

2 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

Breaking news, people want to own pitchers that are on teams that score a lot of runs and win a lot of games!  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

Breaking news, people want to own pitchers that are on teams that score a lot of runs and win a lot of games!  

Breaking news, stick a Reds jersey on him and he is on the waiver wire in 90% of leagues

Breaking news stick a Sox or NYY jersey on him and he is owned in 90% of leagues

This has nothing to do with the possibility of getting a whole 12-15 wins this year

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Being on the Red Sox is part of it.  But this guy was actually a very solid pitcher in the first half of last year with a decent K rate

Never said anything about not being "solid". he did look "solid" for a bit, and like trash at other times, the same as 85% of all other SP in baseball.

My point is he is a streamer, nothing more nothing less. Everyone gets on hot streaks, but the point is ownership and the talk about someone who is, well, nothing more than a streamer until he gives us a year in which, well, in which he is more than a streamer.

13 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Never said anything about not being "solid". he did look "solid" for a bit, and like trash at other times, the same as 85% of all other SP in baseball.

My point is he is a streamer, nothing more nothing less. Everyone gets on hot streaks, but the point is ownership and the talk about someone who is, well, nothing more than a streamer until he gives us a year in which, well, in which he is more than a streamer.

He was a well-regarded prospect who finally looked really good the 2nd half of last year. That's mostly why I think his ownership numbers are high. But, I do think he's running out rope, and I could his ownership dropping quickly if he bombs his next outing. 

I'd much rather have E-Rod in the NL or AL Central or West even.  Pitching for the Sox is a negative in anything other than wins maybe (due to run support). 

6 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

He was a well-regarded prospect who finally looked really good the 2nd half of last year. That's mostly why I think his ownership numbers are high. But, I do think he's running out rope, and I could his ownership dropping quickly if he bombs his next outing. 

Yup I agree

Not here to argue with anyone, just my opinion

35 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Yup I agree

Not here to argue with anyone, just my opinion

Respected.

But I think being on the Red Sox eliminates a very big threat.  The Yankees and Rays are a problem but the Orioles and Blue Jays not so much.

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Oh yea isn't the dude ONLY 25 years old? I love how people over-react to guys who struggle off and on. He has excellent stuff and is a 2/3 rotation candidate given his upside and potential. The two issues he has is he hasn't always been healthy and one guy above, Big Bat Theory, talking about "nibbling" a lot hit it on the head. That is EXACTLY his main problem and BBT explained it far better than I could. 

• Like 1

Not sure what to think....his ERA is 7.20 on the season. 21 K's

He's been pitching a lot better. i watched a lot of today and he was hitting his spot alot. that little slider to LH batters was very effective getting swings and misses. i think you gotta still give him until the middle of may or late may. this red sox team is going to get real hot soon. 

• Like 1

I have been in an on and off fantasy relationship with this player since 2016. Still keeping the faith.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 9:05 AM, Mexi1024 said:

He's been pitching a lot better. i watched a lot of today and he was hitting his spot alot. that little slider to LH batters was very effective getting swings and misses. i think you gotta still give him until the middle of may or late may. this red sox team is going to get real hot soon. 

agreed. hes a strong hold

Good outing tonight even though it’s Detroit. 

Changeup looked great and was elevating fb to get swings and misses. 

No no hitter well into the game again. Man just keep that going for 7+ inn next time. 

Some interesting stuff here:

Eduardo Rodriguez gave up one run in six innings and received credit for an 11-4 win over the Tigers on Wednesday.

He struck out seven batters against three walks and allowed just two base hits in the quality start. He kept a no-hit bid going through four innings and had a shutout going until Niko Goodrum plated a run with a sacrifice fly in the sixth. Rodriguez was using a new grip on his breaking ball tonight and it seemed to do the trick. This was Rodriguez's best start of the season so far and improved his record to 2-2 with a 5.88 ERA and 1.46 WHIP in five starts. He has plenty of talent and his fantasy owners should expect his ERA to steadily improve throughout the summer. His strikeout-to-walk ratio is currently 28:10 through 26 innings of work.

Apr 25, 2019, 1:23 AM

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My man has looked sharp in the past three outings. Major changes since start of the season. Better control/command. Not a Boston fan but I do make it a custom to put mlb.tv on my starting pitchers whenever they pitch Haha. Very pleased tonight and going forwards with him.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 1

Interested to see how he will handle his remaining 100 innings or so

• Haha 1

He's actually 5th in Z-Contact and 7th in Swinging Strike rate. Last 3 starts his Swinging Strike rate has been 19%, 17% and 17% which is ungodly.