SpecialFNK

Yuli Gurriel 2019 Outlook

starting 1B for the Astros.

in yahoo he has eligibility at 1B, 2B, 3B.

https://www.fantasypros.com/mlb/players/yulieski-gurriel.php?week=draft&position=1B

The only first basemen to bat at least .290 in each of the last two years? Freddie Freeman, Paul Goldschmidt, and Yuli Gurriel. Houston's career .291 hitter is an underrated stabilizer in batting average who can also drive in 75-85 runs in a stacked lineup. He even popped five homers in September after a long power drought, so the veteran should at least offer double-digit long balls. He's a boring, but productive depth piece for a drafter who loaded up on high-power average liabilities.

certainly not one of the bigger targets at 1B, but as long as he is starting then he should have some good numbers including R/RBI with the Astros.

• Like 1

Tyler White has to figure to cut into his playing time. Both White and Gurriel are solid when getting playing time but looks like they'll be splitting a lot at this point.

3 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Tyler White has to figure to cut into his playing time. Both White and Gurriel are solid when getting playing time but looks like they'll be splitting a lot at this point.

isn't White exclusively the DH, or maybe Brantley plays some at DH to stay healthy?

27 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

isn't White exclusively the DH, or maybe Brantley plays some at DH to stay healthy?

Yes, I'd expect Brantley to DH a lot. Plus Kemp and Marisnick were solid off the bench last year, they deserve playing time. Once Kyle Tucker is up then its an even bigger problem. Maybe injuries will clear this all up but right now there's uncertainty.

Ok so what is the deal hear. ROS, good target to get now or just ignore him?

10 minutes ago, Monkeyman74 said:

Ok so what is the deal hear. ROS, good target to get now or just ignore him?

119 wRC+ vs lefties

84 wRC+ vs righties

147 wRC+ vs lefties

91 wRC+ vs righties

He's below average against righties. For a full time first baseman, that's problematic. I think he stands to lose some playing time against righties as the season goes on with studs like Alvarez and Tucker waiting in the wings, so I wouldn't be targeting him. I still play him in DFS against lefties though.

• Like 1

Yuli is who he is. Adjusted for one more year, he'll hit between 270 and 280 with 10 HRs. If he has multiple position eligibility in your league, he's fine to stash as a sub, but if you're slotting him at a corner position you'll underproduce, and even as a util you should be able to churn through hot waiver wire bats and get a better result. Yuli is an OK super sub if you have the space, I guess, but he won't move the needle for you in anything other than AL only or deep mixed leagues. 

What can we expect from him after the asb? Does he continue to hit for decent power and eclipse 20 hrs?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rasto21585 said:

What can we expect from him after the asb? Does he continue to hit for decent power and eclipse 20 hrs?

I have no reason to suspect otherwise.

What gives? Is he on peds or did he change his launch angle?

3 hours ago, rasto21585 said:

You mean in July?

spacer.png

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2019 at 6:46 PM, Dr. Whom said:

What gives? Is he on peds or did he change his launch angle?

He was struggling at the plate and called up Carlos Beltran who told him to stop batting with only his front eye, he told him to turn so he can use both.

Another bomb tonight

Edited by MartinRiggs1

1 hour ago, MartinRiggs1 said:

He was struggling at the plate and called up Carlos Beltran who told him to stop batting with only his front eye, he told him to turn so he can use both.

Another bomb tonight

For real? That’s what he really did?

Eligibility gold as well 1b/2b/3b 

Keep it up big man

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, rasto21585 said:

For real? That’s what he really did?

I was just thinking about how BS it sounded before I pulled this page back up. But yes, Todd Kalas & Geoff Blum were discussing it during one of the broadcasts for the Astros and thats apparently what happened

Edited by MartinRiggs1
  • Like 1

Why is this thread so empty? Dude is the hottest hitter in baseball alongside Yordan Alvarez.

OPS was below .700 and is .847 now. Ridiculous .400 avg, 257 wrc+, and 11 HR in July.

• Like 2

I dropped this dude early in the year and just now am seeing his numbers. I feel like a complete fool. I never thought he'd be capable of stats like this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, nlm said:

I dropped this dude early in the year and just now am seeing his numbers. I feel like a complete fool. I never thought he'd be capable of stats like this.

Thanks for your sacrifice.

CSB but I traded Travis Shaw for Yuli shortly before Hiura stole his job (the first time) haha

Not gonna lie, was not expecting this, but I did expect him to improve from the .680 OPS...the K% was very low and he was unlucky to start the year.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not even a CSB, more like a sad story. I wish I held on. He wasn't doing anything and for a 1b/CI type you need some production.

I literally just checked in on him today and his recent surge blows me away. Then I saw the topic had been bumped. But yeah, he's insanely hot right now. And this is a guy who likely was on waivers in a lot of leagues when he had his ops below .700

Edited by nlm
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, nlm said:

I did the same with both Devers and Laureano.  The pain.....

Underrated. Dude doesn't even have a page here @Rotoworld

1 hour ago, Z06vette said:

Underrated. Dude doesn't even have a page here @Rotoworld

I guess I should elaborate here more. I mean, ONE PAGE here @Rotoworld.