Masahiro Tanaka 2019 Outlook

53 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

What the heck was that?

A swift kick in the nuts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

I think it's rage drop time

I think he's gone passed rage drop and straight to deserving the boot.  Unless he's facing Tampa, for the most part he's sucked.  At this point though, I don't think I could even start him against Tampa.  He's been that bad.

Sight to see.

PITCHERS IP H R ER BB K HR PC-ST ERA
M. Tanaka 3.1 12 12 12 3 4 2 87-54 4.79

In defense of these pitchers they are playing with a Superball.  Any type of decent contact and it is a line drive.

Little chance there is not a ball change next season.  It is absurd.

• Like 1

RIP roto owners. H2H owners, better luck next week.

That was easily one of the worst starts ever. The last time a Yankee pitcher gave up 12+ runs in a start was in 1939. 

• Like 1

Yea that, um, wasn't good. Pitching has been weak in general this year, but that was just something else.

Posted (edited)

As I said on previous page without his splitter he’s capable of getting blasted like this anytime out.  His fastball is trash, his slider is still good so when that’s on and he’s commanding his D- fastball he can at least be efficient.  But unless the split comes back he’ll be a 4+ era for rest of career, and probably closer to mid 4’s. 

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 6:27 PM, johnnyboy8102 said:

Another bad outing. Now what? Has this guy just lost it? 

honestly with hamels coming off the DL this weekend and more top of the rotation arms returning in august and early september, i can't imagine this guy deserves much more leash. the only thing going for him is that yankee lineup that gives his W's a value boost because it can sustain through his struggles but frankly, every other cat is getting shelled.

and hell, like we've seen with paxton and cc, that lineup still can't save your fantasy value this year. 

sayonara bro

On 7/31/2019 at 6:27 PM, johnnyboy8102 said:

Another bad outing. Now what? Has this guy just lost it? 

He’s done.  Unless splitter comes back he’s toast in this league.  His fastball is meaty, slider still very good, but the splitter was what made him so damn good.  He hasn’t had it all year.  But....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2019/07/31/yankees-masahiro-tanaka-undergoes-drastic-grip-change/amp/

Looks like he and the team realizes the same observations I’ve made.  So hopefully with the new grip he can regain that pitch.  FA arms in 12+ team leagues im in are just littered with losers so I’m holding Tanaka still.  But I don’t have a ton of confidence left.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

[...] Anyone else streaming him this week? I would like to think he’ll begin to improve with two good matchups coming up this week. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

On 8/3/2019 at 6:09 PM, BRYZZO said:

[...] Anyone else streaming him this week? I would like to think he’ll begin to improve with two good matchups coming up this week. 

I'm interested in people's thoughts as well that have been watching him.  Is he completely shot?  I've had him sitting on my bench for a few weeks, luckily.

Starting him with zero confidence.  Seam changes have ruined him.  Just praying the rockets off all his meatballs go at gloves for a few starts in a row.

15 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Starting him with zero confidence.  Seam changes have ruined him.  Just praying the rockets off all his meatballs go at gloves for a few starts in a row.

I do recall him saying that but a little over a month ago he was working with a 3.21 ERA and a 1.12 WHIP.  Before the July 20th start against Colorado and the 12ER bombing, his numbers were solid. 

Unless they changed the balls a month ago...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, boomzdaddy said:

I do recall him saying that but a little over a month ago he was working with a 3.21 ERA and a 1.12 WHIP.  Before the July 20th start against Colorado and the 12ER bombing, his numbers were solid. 

Unless they changed the balls a month ago...

He was more or less surviving on pitch and pray.  His slider is still very good though so if he’s ahead in counts and locating fastball he can still be effective.  If fastball command is off and he’s getting behind it goes south fast.  The loss of the splitter has made his margin for error very slim.  Baltimore has a lot of aggressive hitters so hopefully he’s throwing his slider early and often and getting swing and misses.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

I dont think you can start him these days.  Only 1 good start since June.  I would need to see him pitch better before I start again

Done. Can’t even put up a decent start against BAL. These juiced balls really did a number on you , Masa. Sorry it has to be this way. 

Should have rage dropped last go around.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

He’s done.  Might have worst fastball in baseball currently.  Straight, and is center cut city.  Can’t adjust to new seams.  Doubt he finds it ROS.  Any success he has is same success Glen Sparkman type arms will have, rocket liners going right at fielders.  It’s baseball, even biggest losers run into a good start.  Tanaka is right up there with worst arms in baseball right now.  He has nothing.

Edited by Cmilne23

Posted (edited)

tanaka has been very disappointing.  i was hoping for SP3 status.  he really is a drop in redrafts unless its a 15 teamer or something.  

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed quoted CSB post