Sign in to follow this  
ShowdownKing48

Keeper League Trade Help - WHIR

This is a 10-team h2h 6x6 categories keeper league where players are kept at the round drafted the previous season +1 round. This year we are introducing 4-year keeper limits, where no player can be kept for longer than 4 consecutive years. You can keep up to 5 players.

I'm being offered Jose Ramirez (18th round) for my Gleyber Torres (20th rounder) and J.T. Realmuto (13th rounder).

I was planning on keeping those two in addition to Severino (21st), Snell (14th), and either Eugenio Suarez (19th) or Patrick Corbin (19th).

Jose Ramirez is a top 3 or 4 fantasy talent, but Torres was the top prospect in baseball and has Jose Ramirez upside, and Realmuto is the best fantasy catcher. Just not sure what to do here. Ramirez is enticing, but is he worth those two players? Thanks in advance for your help!

I do that deal in a hurry before the other guy sobers up.  Torres is largely unproven...Cs are not worth worrying about generally.  Keep Ramirez and the other 4.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, secretagentman said:

I do that deal in a hurry before the other guy sobers up.  Torres is largely unproven...Cs are not worth worrying about generally.  Keep Ramirez and the other 4.

@secretagentman You're obviously a Yankees fan, and I am as well! What do you think of Torres in general? Although unproven, he has pedigree. What's his upside in your opinion?

Gleybar is nice, but he doesnt have JRam upside imo

JRam in 18th is worth keeping or trading for

I like Torres overall, but his post injury return where he seemed to try to pull a lot more was a minor red flag for me.  I temper expectations as he is likely to be a very good player but not elite player this year.  Anything can happen though as the Yanks lineup offers plenty of protection and run scoring\rbi opportunities.  There is also a good chance he gets\retains SS eligibility as well as we all know Tulo will get hurt lol.

I agree that getting JRam is the play. I am a Yanks fan also and do believe in the upside of Torres (also just dealt him in my league) but I don't think he will hit his full potential for another few years. 

@secretagentman Torres has 2B/SS eligibility in my league, and J-Ram has 2B/3B. But you and @smurph are both saying that it makes sense to make the move because we're likely a few years away from peak Gleyber?  Even with the 4 year keeper term, still worth it?

And is Realmuto really not worth keeping? I know he's a catcher, but in the 13th round, .275-ish, 25+ homers, 80+ RBI out of the catcher spot has to be worth something, especially since he's being over-drafted in the 5th, no?

Posted (edited)

Not over the others.  You can get a Grandal or Ramos or Molina who put up OK numbers in the low teen rounds in most drafts.  The value difference is not that much compared to what a usual round 5-6 player gets you vs Realmuto imo.  Who would you rather have, Boegarts or Suarez or Paxton or Realmuto at 50ish overall for instance?    The Realmuto valuation of a bargain is derived from a vastly over priced starting point imo.

In round 13 it is a good value, but I much rather keep your other players at their rounds and let someone else blow a fairly high draft pick on some C that if he does not get hurt will get 450 ABs and post 275\25\80\80 or the counting numbers of a fantasy 3 or 4 OF in most mixed leagues (with less ABs and as such less help in avg).  Not to say you want to let C go to the point where you start some total stiff, but there is no reason to pay top dollar for a C ever imo.  Even in 2 C leagues, reaching into the top 9-10 rounds for a C very rarely pays off.

As to Torres over 4 years....compared to JRam who is only 26 and established?  Not even in debate imo.

Edited by secretagentman

30 minutes ago, ShowdownKing48 said:

And is Realmuto really not worth keeping? I know he's a catcher, but in the 13th round, .275-ish, 25+ homers, 80+ RBI out of the catcher spot has to be worth something, especially since he's being over-drafted in the 5th, no?

i think everyone is overlooking one key point

JRam at 18 is a freebie

a top 10 player for almost nothing draft pick wise

You can only keep 4 years anyways

You will miss Gleybars peak

This is such a slamdunk, i can't believe there is this much debate going on?

I

• Like 1

Just now, HOOTIE said:

i think everyone is overlooking one key point

JRam at 18 is a freebie

a top 10 player for almost nothing draft pick wise

You can only keep 4 years anyways

You will miss Gleybars peak

This is such a slamdunk, i can't believe there is this much debate going on?

I

This. 

Sometimes people fall in love with their players. 

52 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

This. 

Sometimes people fall in love with their players. 

You’re right, you’re right. I do have some bias as a fan and both Gleyber and Realmuto helped me win the league last year so parting ways with them is just a little more difficult. But you’re correct, I should step back and look strictly at numbers.

JoRam is the best of the 3 players in the trade

you also get to keep both Corbin and Suarez 

so looking at the deal as 

JoRam + one of Corbin/Suarez 

for 

torres and realmuto it becomes more of a slam dunk for you 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tristan0823 said:

JoRam is the best of the 3 players in the trade

you also get to keep both Corbin and Suarez 

so looking at the deal as 

JoRam + one of Corbin/Suarez