SpecialFNK

Eugenio Suarez 2019 Outlook

Quietly 4th in the NL in homers. Hits 3 in a row over 3 games... Crickets.

Would love a better BA, but the power numbers are fantastic!

And to think his best seasons are likely yet to come... 

30 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

And to think his best seasons are likely yet to come... 

Are they?  The conventional wisdom has always been that players peak in their late 20s, and more recent studies have been suggesting that the peak is coming even sooner.  That's not to say every player peaks at the same time, and I loves me some Eugenio, but I don't see any reason that it's "likely" that a 27 year-old will continue to get better for multiple seasons heading toward his 30s.

• Like 1

I’d be very interested in looking at his batted ball data from last year to this year. Im curious if he was attempting to raise his launch angle this year? That could explain the cold 1st half and increase in power numbers this year. He could be finally putting it all together. Glad I kept my faith in him whatever the case.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bjvance5 said:

I’d be very interested in looking at his batted ball data from last year to this year. Im curious if he was attempting to raise his launch angle this year? That could explain the cold 1st half and increase in power numbers this year. He could be finally putting it all together. Glad I kept my faith in him whatever the case.

Increase in power numbers? He missed a month of baseball last year and still finished with 34 hr and 104 rbi's. He was on Pace to hit 41 last year. Not much has changed. And yet here we are, picked in the 50's mostly, and just 4 pages in. He put it together last year.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

Increase in power numbers? He missed a month of baseball last year and still finished with 34 hr and 104 rbi's. He was on Pace to hit 41 last year. Not much has changed. And yet here we are, picked in the 50's mostly, and just 4 pages in. He put it together last year.

Fair point. He’s already at 38 and hit 9 in the month of August so I’d say he’s on pace to hit more than 41. He’s playing as well as he has all year right now so excited to see his final line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PPolanco said:

How bad did it look 😣

I need to know asap too.  I’ve got him as my third baseman and it’s playoff time this coming week.  

12 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Back this YEAR?  Not this week but this year.    Ugh deciding what to do with Suárez is going to be tough for every owner.  The upcoming red schedule looked really tasty too 👎

Considering the reds aren’t contending would a late week return be too optimistic?

8 hours ago, Magnus88 said:

Back this YEAR?  Not this week but this year.    Ugh deciding what to do with Suárez is going to be tough for every owner.  The upcoming red schedule looked really tasty too 👎

Considering the reds aren’t contending would a late week return be too optimistic?

No doubt a bench this week. I mean based on his words, he is out a several days at a minimum

Play it by ear after that

"Suarez doesn’t know the results of the MRI. Will see the doctor at 12:30. Says his hand is a lot better today. Has full movement. #reds"

- John Fay on Twitter

• Thanks 2

Looks like that hand is okay.  6/10 with 2 HR since coming back.  We could be looking at the quietest 50 HR season in a very long time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbossman said:

He's the next Edwin Encarnacion 

More like Edwin Encarnacion was the first Eugenio Suarez.  Since Suarez can actually field his position competently. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 3:14 AM, dkrocka said:

Wait a minute, did I say elite? Because this is what I meant: xOBA's and OBA's were comparable to this crowd: JoRam, Yelich, Stanton, Bregman, Lindor. His soft hit went from 20% in 2017... to 8% in 2018. 8 F****** SH%. His hard hit went up from 33 to 48%. And those numbers are including his slump. IFFB? From 11% to 3%

This is a different hitter here folks.

People forget he actually missed time last year. He might have flirted with a 40-120 season if he hadn't.

Most people don't know that it was an adjustment to keep his hands lower to keep the bat in the zone longer that propelled the surge in batting average. He basically traded a few walks for home runs

He's 27

Same park as last year... "Home Run Ballpark"

They added Puig. Winker's gonna be 100%, and he was up there for ROY before getting hurt

You should be all over this guy in the 40's, let alone the 50's

He's now one home run shy of being tied for the major league lead. 

• Like 1

Officially one of the top HR hitters in the game and gets no love. Love it. I’ll take this guy allllll day. Scary to think where he would be If he could have performed a little better those 2 months before Allstar Break where he couldn’t buy a hit.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2019 at 1:58 PM, bjvance5 said:

Officially one of the top HR hitters in the game and gets no love. Love it. I’ll take this guy allllll day. Scary to think where he would be If he could have performed a little better those 2 months before Allstar Break where he couldn’t buy a hit.

I think everyone forgets about him because Alfredo Simon is going for his 5th straight Cy Young this season.  Hard to get out of that shadow when you are involved in a trade that uneven.

• Haha 1