joebaker23

Baker Mayfield 2019 Outlook

18 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Njoku is still the big body jump ball red zone player to own in this offense, but his upside/targets are limited by the OBJ signing and crowded skill position(s). Cleveland needed depth at TE after letting Fells walk, but Harris isn't suddenly going to jump over the 1st RD talent/draft capital of Njoku.

it's not that he will take over the position it's the competing for snaps.  Harris being a  UDFA is irrelevant once you are playing and competing for a job and keep in mind Dorsey is the one who signed him as a udfa.

His strength is blocking which means he will be on the field. What e don't know is how much he will be on the field.

I get Noku is some sort of fantasy favorite even though he hasnt done anything in his 2yrs as a pro but the reality of real football is he is a poor blocker and he has issues with drops. The dude has stud potential but he has yet to be a stud.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Damn, I didn't realize how much they were paying Jarvis. He makes 15 mill this year? That's crazy.  I really like him as a player, but agreed on the last sentence.

That has been the drum I have been beating since the OBJ rumors surfaced!

Why would you keep Landry now that you have OBJ? baker is not going to check to look for the slot wr, the dude is always looking downfield for the big play.

I would take a half able Cobb on a cheap contract over landry and his salary

Edited by dashoe

15 minutes ago, dashoe said:

That has been the drum I have been beating since the OBJ rumors surfaced!

Why would you keep Landry now that you have OBJ? baker is not going to check to look for the slot wr, the dude is always looking downfield for the big play.

I would take a half able Cobb on a cheap contract over landry and his salary

And use the freed-up salary cap money (which the Browns already have plenty of) for what exactly?  Who's left out there in FA who is worth spending a ton of money on at this point?  Better to completely go all-in with as much talent as you can while Mayfield is on his (cheap) rookie salary and see if you can win a ring or two.  It's not like you can carry over unspent salary cap for five years to extend Mayfield when his rook contract is over. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, jumper said:

And use the freed-up salary cap money (which the Browns already have plenty of) for what exactly?  Who's left out there in FA who is worth spending a ton of money on at this point?  Better to completely go all-in with as much talent as you can while Mayfield is on his (cheap) rookie salary and see if you can win a ring or two.  It's not like you can carry over unspent salary cap for five years to extend Mayfield when his rook contract is over. 

FA just started, not telling who else comes available and what happens post NFL draft. i have yet to meet a NFL GM or HC who doesnt think he needs a position upgrade. you can upgrade the defense, special teams etc, get a beter backup QB to Baker as injury insurance;  if u want cheaper wr's tyrell willims and move colloway into the slot where he doesnt have to think too much and can use his elusiveness, tate would probably come a little  cheaper or equal value and i like him better than landry because he has more range as a wr on the route tree

Edited by dashoe

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, dashoe said:

it's not that he will take over the position it's the competing for snaps.  Harris being a  UDFA is irrelevant once you are playing and competing for a job and keep in mind Dorsey is the one who signed him as a udfa.

His strength is blocking which means he will be on the field. What e don't know is how much he will be on the field.

I get Noku is some sort of fantasy favorite even though he hasnt done anything in his 2yrs as a pro but the reality of real football is he is a poor blocker and he has issues with drops. The dude has stud potential but he has yet to be a stud.

I didn't mean that Cleveland would hold Harris back due to the capital spent on Njoku, I meant that Njoku's draft capital point to Njoku being the far superior talent/pass receiver. *this is year 3 hmmm'

Yes, Harris will be in on 2 TE sets, or possibly as the inline TE (in place of Njoku who will play more of the move TE) on known rushing plays :shrug:

Harris' talent is blocking (but yes, he'll catch a few and help keep the DST honest), and Njoku's is as a receiver (granted he needs to work on his drops).

Either way, my OP was concerning Mayfield being the Brown to own B) and I just chimed in vs your assertion that "bang, there goes Njoku's value."

Edited by FollowTheLeader

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

I didn't mean that Cleveland would hold Harris back due to the capital spent on Njoku, I meant that Njoku's draft capital point to Njoku being the far superior talent/pass receiver. *this is year 3 hmmm'

Yes, Harris will be in on 2 TE sets, or possibly as the inline TE (in place of Njoku who will play more of the move TE) on known rushing plays :shrug:

Harris' talent is blocking (but yes, he'll catch a few and help keep the DST honest), and Njoku's is as a receiver (granted he needs to work on his drops).

Either way, my OP was concerning Mayfield being the Brown to own B) and I just chimed in vs your assertion that "bang, there goes Njoku's value."

Losing perriman who was a big body wr helped njoku in my view but OBJ compeltely changes things for this team

I had Baker pegged for a potential top 5 QB with the hiring of Monken  as OC before the OBJ signing based on Dorsey making slight upgrades to the wr room,  now it just solidifies it. Their division will be terrible and the entire AFC is realigning. 

What I don't know is how the philosophical switch from a run first team Dorsey assembled last season to now what is clearly a pass first bet it all on  Baker team will affect the value of the rb's.  Assumming you keep Duke and Hunt plays

Edited by dashoe

He's probably getting kept, but he'd be my top target at QB. I doubt he makes it to 4th round where I want to draft him. I'd pick him high and get a reasonable VET later. He's set up to go off... big time. Arguably the most explosive player to target. 

The hype is gonna get unreal come draft time. 

I bet he settles in as a 4th Rd QB and I can't think of one I would want other than Baker after Maholmes.

Fortune favors the bold, go RB, RB, WR, then Baker.

• Like 1

Was all about Baker as my sneaky QB1 that maybe doesn't go in the top 10 QB's..................no chance of that now.

Not sure if this was put out there but re: getting rid of Landry.   He'll cost them more in cap if he's cut or traded this year than he would if they just keep him.  Next year its no problem though

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Was all about Baker as my sneaky QB1 that maybe doesn't go in the top 10 QB's..................no chance of that now.

Not sure if this was put out there but re: getting rid of Landry.   He'll cost them more in cap if he's cut or traded this year than he would if they just keep him.  Next year its no problem though

Evidently Landry and OBJ are friends off the field. I heard that on NFL channel. Not sure if it is true. But Landry will flourish by staying.

6 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Evidently Landry and OBJ are friends off the field. I heard that on NFL channel. Not sure if it is true. But Landry will flourish by staying.

They went to LSU together.

This news is gonna make this guy overdrafted. He was undervalued going into next year. Now, definitely going to be drafted at his peak value.

Also, Cleveland will have a strong defense. No doubt. Can't see a crazy high volume offense, but we'l see.

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

The hype is gonna get unreal come draft time. 

I bet he settles in as a 4th Rd QB and I can't think of one I would want other than Baker after Maholmes.

Fortune favors the bold, go RB, RB, WR, then Baker.

In my QB rankings, he is now my #2 QB behind Mahomes. Had 27 passing touchdowns last year in not even a full season. Imagine what he will do this upcoming season (a full season) in year 2 with better weapons and a head coach that let him sling it all over the field in the last few games of the 2018 season? A dream fantasy football situation for Mayfield.

9 hours ago, joebaker23 said:

Call me crazy but I’d take Mayfield over Rodgers, Watson, Luck.

Watson, sure.  Luck, maybe although I think if he actually outperforms him it won't be by much and there's much more risk he performs significantly worse.  Definitely not ARod though, at least not in redraft. 

10 hours ago, joebaker23 said:

Call me crazy but I’d take Mayfield over Rodgers, Watson, Luck.

Rodger or a healthy Luck i'm not sure I would take Baker over them head to head.  Watson is more valuable if runs consistently  and gives u a higher ceiling but I would take Baker because i think he will be more consistent week to week, I don't need the ceiling of Watson

49 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Rodger or a healthy Luck i'm not sure I would take Baker over them head to head.  Watson is more valuable if runs consistently  and gives u a higher ceiling but I would take Baker because i think he will be more consistent week to week, I don't need the ceiling of Watson

Mayfield vs. Rodgers is interesting for sure.

mayfield arguably has better options to throw to and I think could have some sneaky rushing yards tacked on and a few rushing TDs.

i know you don't like how many dropped passes the Brownies had last year but a lot of that was Calloway and with OBJ in town now he will mostly be a situational deep threat.

id take Baker cause at least he won't have to face that 🐻's defense twice a year.

13 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Mayfield vs. Rodgers is interesting for sure.

mayfield arguably has better options to throw to and I think could have some sneaky rushing yards tacked on and a few rushing TDs.

i know you don't like how many dropped passes the Brownies had last year but a lot of that was Calloway and with OBJ in town now he will mostly be a situational deep threat.

id take Baker cause at least he won't have to face that 🐻's defense twice a year.

Correct. After  hopkins OBJ probably has the best hands in the game.

I don't see baker running for any TD's. What I do see is a consistent +20pt QB every week like a Rodgers/Luck lite but without the years of experience to punish defenses that make mistakes and the rapport they have with their top wr's. 

This whole OBJ pickup is really messing with my way-too-early-draft-strategy for 2019.  I really was looking forward to picking up Mr. Mayfield in like the 10th round or later.  This is going to jump his stock up at least one to two rounds.  Bummer. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jumper said:

Watson, sure.  Luck, maybe although I think if he actually outperforms him it won't be by much and there's much more risk he performs significantly worse.  Definitely not ARod though, at least not in redraft. 

I have them 

Luck

Watson

Rodgers

Mayfield

So how bad is the hype train? Out of control by Aug?

37 minutes ago, bomont said:

So how bad is the hype train? Out of control by Aug?

Baker just got married. He won't have any energy left come August.

usatsi_12641867-e1562501588611.jpg?width

I think the train is pretty much at its furthest- he likely doesn't climb above the typical top 4 QB's.   The only possible changes there are an injury to one of those guys or an amazingly strong preseason.