joebaker23

Baker Mayfield 2019 Outlook

10/26 +INT last night, what's up with that? Just ironing out the kinks?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

10/26 +INT last night, what's up with that? Just ironing out the kinks?

While Mayfield was certainly off with many of his throws, let’s remember that OBJ, Landry, Njoku, and Chubb were all out. Pretty difficult to judge Mayfield’s performance in such a scenario. There were also a few catchable balls that were dropped including potential TDs. Imo, this one will be quickly forgotten in week 1 when all Mayfield’s weapons are at his disposal. Resist the preseason overreaction!

• Thanks 2

Preseason is worthless don't stress he was throwing to guys that will be on the practice squad.  Baker was good last year, his team is better this year, he will be fine

As bad as last night was for Baker, it wasn't THAT bad.  He went through his progressions well, did a lot of small things right, and had a few real nice plays that he extended.......anyways...guy is a stud. 

• Thanks 1

This is why younger starters need to play in the Preseason.  They still need reps before the regular season starts.  Once they are more seasoned?  Not so much.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:30 AM, dudewithabadcat said:

As bad as last night was for Baker, it wasn't THAT bad.  He went through his progressions well, did a lot of small things right, and had a few real nice plays that he extended.......anyways...guy is a stud. 

Biggest worry is that they don't seem to have sorted out the OL yet. That was a huge help for Baker down the stretch last year but might make for some problems this year.

I said it last year.
I said it in pre-season.
I'm saying it again today.

I think he looks like trashola.

I don't just mean today, I don't care about 1 loss, or the turnovers, or the scoreboard.
When I watch him play, I do not like what I see.
I'm no scout, it's still way too early in his career to write him off, and he has 15 more games to make me look stupid.

I just don't see it.  He was DND for me.  Because of him I faded OBJ in all leagues, and ranked Chubb significantly lower than the consensus.  I left Landry and Njoku alone in rankings as I think they should still be fine on the short/intermediate stuff.

Too much talent on the team to suck (fantasy wise) for too long though, but they have to use them effectively to make it work.

20 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

I said it last year.
I said it in pre-season.

I don't just mean today, I don't care about 1 loss, or the turnovers, or the scoreboard.
I'm no scout, it's still way too early in his career to write him off, and he has 15 more games to make me look stupid.

I just don't see it.  He was DND for me.  Because of him I faded OBJ in all leagues, and ranked Chubb significantly lower than the consensus.  I left Landry and Njoku alone in rankings as I think they should still be fine on the short/intermediate stuff.

Too much talent on the team to suck (fantasy wise) for too long though, but they have to use them effectively to make it work.

He looked great though last year during the second half. 

3 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

I said it last year.
I said it in pre-season.

I didn’t follow him in college and I haven’t watched a single game of his as a pro so can you tell me what you’re seeing that you don’t like and what you don’t see that you should be seeing? 

He got a .25 of a point for the entire game in my league. He's going to the bench until I see a good game or possibly more out of him. His line is garbage bottom 5 unit. Defensive coordinators have caught up too him

Edited by bengalfan27

4 minutes ago, bengalfan27 said:

He got a .25 of a point for the entire game in my league. He's going to the bench until I see a good game or possibly more out of him. His line is garbage bottom 5 unit. Defensive coordinators have caught up too him

Still don’t understand why they traded Zeitler for Vernon. DL wasn’t a dire need and they got rid of their best offensive lineman. Going to be a long year for Baker and the Browns.

I'm not as panicked as some of you seem to be. OL is a mess, but that ended up being a rotten game script, and the penalties were horrendous. I'll wait and see. Not expecting miracles, but also not expecting the next game to be quite as awful.

I've been panicking all day and night even though I still won the week.

Can't discount the Titans defense, they're really good.

How comfortable are any other Mayfield owners against the Jets next week?

13 hours ago, Gmen07 said:

Still don’t understand why they traded Zeitler for Vernon. DL wasn’t a dire need and they got rid of their best offensive lineman. Going to be a long year for Baker and the Browns.

Probably because it enabled them to get Beckham who is usually untradable. Nice little warm up gift...not worth it 

The big red flag here is how flat out uncomfortable he looked with pressure on him, and with the current prospects of Cleveland's offensive line he could be facing pressure quite a bit.

Hopefully he can lose his tendency to hold onto the ball for too long like he did against the Titans, the Browns have at least 2 good WRs who can turn a 4 yard route into a 10+ yard gain.. ideally they will implement more of that kind of passing attack going forward while Baker continues to learn pocket presence.

Its also difficult to succeed when almost every drive results in a 2nd/3rd down and 20 and the entire planet knows you have to throw. There's a lot for the Browns to clean up on but I wouldn't be one to sound the alarm after one game.

Week 1 Browns are a poster child for why the pre-season DOES matter in certain instances. This first team offense should have gotten at least 2-3 quarters worth of work

Starting tackle ejected early in first half, 200 yards of penalties, big plays being called back by penalties. Was a terrible week 1, but sky is not falling. Still a very talented offense, bet on them figuring things out and getting them fixed