joebaker23

Baker Mayfield 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

[...] QB is so deep this year, unless a team has Baker and no other viable/high upside QB already on the roster, Clevelend's penchant for ineptitude and this poor start (including preseason) has me worried about buying too much into how Baker finished last season.

I think he and the Browns figure it out by midseason, but I dont find value in him eating benchspace until this manifests, and for those worh a quality second option (thinking guys drafted later like Lamar, Brady, Brees, Dak, etc) I have no problem with freeing up this benchspace for RB or WR support. 

 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We feel comfortable starting Baker against the Jets? Jameis on my bench doesn't make me feel much more comfortable but I don't know how to feel about Baker's matchup. Maybe pick up someone Wednesday to see who is left off the scrap heap. I like Baker ROS but the performance on Sunday scared me a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nate1213 said:

We feel comfortable starting Baker against the Jets? Jameis on my bench doesn't make me feel much more comfortable but I don't know how to feel about Baker's matchup. Maybe pick up someone Wednesday to see who is left off the scrap heap. I like Baker ROS but the performance on Sunday scared me a bit. 

I'm willing to give him a mulligan for a poor week 1 where the game got away from him, and penalites and his offensive tackle getting ejected really hurt the flow of the game/offense. I'll start worrying if we see another dud on MNF, but I like him to bounce back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone a bit nervous for the browns schedule? Rams, Baltimore, SF (underrated), Seattle, Bye, New England, Denver, Buffalo and Baltimore in playoffs. That's rough for Baker, odell and chubb if u ask me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Freddie kitchens better start calling the plays. Sooner rather than later I hope.

 

I've got bad news for you DHC.  Freddie has been, and is, the offensive play-caller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Freddie kitchens better start calling the plays. Sooner rather than later I hope.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/08/freddie-kitchens-will-let-oc-todd-monken-call-some-plays-vs-the-lions.html

 

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Freddie Kitchens will call the plays during the regular season, but he’ll let Browns offensive coordinator Todd Monken call some during Thursday’s night’s preseason finale against the Lions, he revealed on his radio show Tuesday night.

 

 

😝😂👀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it panic time for Mayfield owners?  (I ask because I just saw someone drop him in a league.)  He was QB4 in ADP (mid-5th round) but I now see him ranked outside the top 12 for this week and people are talking about benching him.  Seems like a pretty drastic move, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bengalfan27 said:

I'm benching him in a 2 QB league right now can't imagine the rational of starting him in a 1 QB League

Umm. No other option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First half was painful. Feels like they need to strip the offense back to basics and focus on moving the chains quickly with all the talented receivers they have. Baker is taking too long with the ball and seems reluctant to take easy 5-6 yd outs when there's a needle to be threaded. Offensive line is...not great.

But.

There are signs. A handful of really good sharp passes. Chubb helping out by magicking yards out of thin air. Fewer penalties. It may still be that we are watching a young team ironing out wrinkles, and a young quarterback learning that there's more than one way to play. I'm ever so slightly more optimistic, particularly as other QBs are dropping like flies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has OBJ who can get gobs of points for him quickly on easy throws, offense would be helped out by Landry coming alive as a chain mover and more explosive screens and short passes to chubb, who can also take it to the house... Right now it seems like it is alot of boom or bust, need to get some more easy throws to other guys to open the whole thing up. This coming from beckham owner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2nd year QB who played against his old coach, who knows him better than probably any other coach in the league.  The going was going to be tough.  Baker's a gunslinger, and takes a lot of chances.  He'll settle down in the coming weeks.  It's not time to panic yet.

Edited by kdko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LeeVanCleef said:

He's 1 beer away from becoming Manziel 2.0

Spoken like a teenager

Mayfield will be fine IF he stops obsessing on Beckham. He has a great possession WR in Landry and a not great but capable TE in Njoku that he should look to more.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bomont said:

Spoken like a teenager

Mayfield will be fine IF he stops obsessing on Beckham. He has a great possession WR in Landry and a not great but capable TE in Njoku that he should look to more.

Denial is not just a river in egypt

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LeeVanCleef said:

He's 1 beer away from becoming Manziel 2.0

 

Both unfunny, and wrong.  0/10

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, kdko said:

2nd year QB who played against his old coach, who knows him better than probably any other coach in the league.  The going was going to be tough.  Baker's a gunslinger, and takes a lot of chances.  He'll settle down in the coming weeks.  It's not time to panic yet.

The thing is he isn't a gun slinger. He thinks he's a gun slinger. Big difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

The thing is he isn't a gun slinger. He thinks he's a gun slinger. Big difference.

 

I don't think you know what you're talking about.  Who else is historically considered a gunslinger?  Brett Favre.  Check his first 2 starting seasons stats and circle back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kdko said:

 

I don't think you know what you're talking about.  Who else is historically considered a gunslinger?  Brett Favre.  Check his first 2 starting seasons stats and circle back.

Patrick mahomes, Rodgers are gun slingers. He's also only played one season lol. This is his second year and so far he has 2 TDs and 4 interceptions. You sure you got the right guy? lol. If you think he's a gun slinger your in trouble. Good luck.

Edited by StevenSC400

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StevenSC400 said:

Patrick mahomes, Rodgers are gun slingers. He's also only played one season lol. This is his second year. You sure you got the right guy? lol. If you think he's a gun slinger your in trouble. Good luck.

 

If you think that naming those 2 QB's somehow excludes Mayfield from that label, then I you still don't understand what the term means.  He's an aggressive QB, who's not afraid to take a lot of shots downfield.  You only support my argument by listing A-Rod who's first starting season almost identically matches Mayfield's.  Considering it's his 2nd year it makes it even more impressive.  However, you picked the hill you're going to die on, and will just continue arguing for argument's sake.  Good luck to you too.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, whatisfootball said:

It's not time to panic yet but I don't think I'm starting him against the Rams or Ravens coming up.

Cardinals just hung 17 on them in what was a close game.  I can't see how the Browns wouldn't drop more.  Probably not a top 10 play but you could do much worse.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kdko said:

Cardinals just hung 17 on them in what was a close game.  I can't see how the Browns wouldn't drop more.  Probably not a top 10 play but you could do much worse.

 

 

 

If Jimmy Smith is still out then I might consider it. They struggled to move the ball against a banged up Jets D and their tds were aided by penalty and a long catch and run by OBJ. Like I said I'm not panicking and I think he eventually gets it going, but I'm lucky enough to have a decent backup to plug in those weeks instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.