joebaker23

Baker Mayfield 2019 Outlook

28 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

The thing is he isn't a gun slinger. He thinks he's a gun slinger. Big difference.

Just had one of my better friends who is a browns fans say these exact words practically verbatim and I agree. He is at his best making quick accurate throws with a faster tempo offense. He can light you up all day doing that. When he's slinging it all over the place he's an erratic mess. Or has been to this point of his career at least.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Benjamin1984 said:

Just had one of my better friends who is a browns fans say these exact words practically verbatim and I agree. He is at his best making quick accurate throws with a faster tempo offense. He can light you up all day doing that. When he's slinging it all over the place he's an erratic mess. Or has been to this point of his career at least.

A QB has an easier time making shorter passes than longer passes?  Crazy.  I'm a Browns fan too.  The stats don't back up that he's an erratic mess.  Compare Baker's passing productivity with A-Rod's last year.  Baker took more chances (danger plays), and had more money passes.  Gunslinger.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/baker-mayfield/#!#past-year

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/aaron-rodgers/#!#past-year

Edited by kdko

1 minute ago, kdko said:

A QB has an easier time making shorter passes than longer passes?  Crazy.  I'm a Browns fan too.  The stats don't back up that he's an erratic mess.  Compare Baker's passing productivity with A-Rod's last year.  Baker took more chances (danger plays), and had more money passes.  Gunslinger.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/baker-mayfield/#!#past-year

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/aaron-rodgers/#!#past-year

Agree to disagree. Aaron Rodgers certainly didn't have a good year by his standards and was playing injured for most of it. If you are a browns fan and not seeing that he's a mess chucking it wherever he sees fit you are simply overlooking it as a fan. He executes simple quick efficient throws as good as anyone I've seen in a while. Especially uptempo. There's no reason not to play to his strengths. Unless you want a whole lot of turnovers. If that's what you want then hey it's your team not mine.

I have buyers regret with Mayfield.  All the preseason hype on this guy was so wrong.  He looks frazzled, doesn't run AT ALL, and his offensive line is a disaster.  Lets face it, he got lucky last night with the OBJ td, otherwise were looking at a horrendous start to the season.  He just doesn't pass the eye test.  He makes good throws yes, but he is too inconsistent.  Not sure if it is the coordinators fault, but every play the play clock is at 0, they never have quick strikes to move the chains.  Everything seems to be longer throws with him waiting in the pocket too long.  I hope things change, maybe with Callaway back, but I have to go with Kyler Murray next week.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Islanderman said:

I have buyers regret with Mayfield.  All the preseason hype on this guy was so wrong.  He looks frazzled, doesn't run AT ALL, and his offensive line is a disaster.  Lets face it, he got lucky last night with the OBJ td, otherwise were looking at a horrendous start to the season.  He just doesn't pass the eye test.  He makes good throws yes, but he is too inconsistent.  Not sure if it is the coordinators fault, but every play the play clock is at 0, they never have quick strikes to move the chains.  Everything seems to be longer throws with him waiting in the pocket too long.  I hope things change, maybe with Callaway back, but I have to go with Kyler Murray next week.

I was basically coming in here to post almost exactly what you you just typed. Its been brutal to watch. I feel like their offense would be better with more pace, or maybe even a no huddle at times. The fact that they let the play-clock run to 1 or 0 everytime allows the defense more time to recover and survey the formations etc. Its laughable to be honest. 

This guy is mediocre. Probably end up around 8-15 ranked. Waste of my pick. Josh Allan is a go for me until further notice. 

Got Baker in my 2QB league, and not a fan of what I seen last night. Not sure if this was on him or the coaching staff, but it seemed like on every play, they were getting to the line with a few secs left on the play clock and they were rushing to get the ball snapped. Just seemed really off

The sheer amount of no names they had to run out there because of injuries was telling.   They're really lacking depth at TE and WR right now.   

18 hours ago, BrianM said:

The sheer amount of no names they had to run out there because of injuries was telling.   They're really lacking depth at TE and WR right now.   

Sorry, are we talking about Cleveland with Beckham, Landry and Njoku?

Honestly feeling I am close to streaming. I picked up Stafford last night for the matchup and dropped my kicker to do so. Now I just need to decide if Baker stays on the roster when it is time to get a kicker.

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

Sorry, are we talking about Cleveland with Beckham, Landry and Njoku?

Yes, we are talking about the Cleveland Browns, but what we're talking about is depth, as in, the entire roster.   Njoku was hurt in that game, Higgins too, and that left a guy named Ratley, D'Ernest goes to training camp, and Demetrius Harris as the secondary options for Baker.    

I dont think its a five alarm blaze or anything, but if another starter has to miss time, its going to look a lot tougher out there.   Eventually Hunt comes back, and Higgins is at least useful, but i think they're really top heavy in pass weapons.   Not the end of the world, its not even a thing if guys stay healthy.  

• Like 1

Mayfield has struggled but this coaching staff is an absolute clown fest. Man do I feel bad for Browns fans because it seems like they finally have talent but the coaches are such absolute morons that they very well may miss the playoffs. 

1) What's with the obsession with forcing it downfield to OBJ? His TD was a slant maybe take a note of that? 

2) What's the obsession with forcing it down the field in general? Almost everytime Mayfield dropped back he was cocking his arm to sling it. He either did for an incompletion or changed his mind making him look lost.

3) Why are you using Chubb as a 2 down back and handing him the ball off almost everytime he is in the game? You split him out wide to show he can catch but refuse to use him on all 3 downs? So you rather be a predictable offense with an inferior back in on 3rd down?

4) Why not run more designed passing plays for guys like Chubb and Landry going very short to make your offense less predictable? Both guys are great with the ball in their hands.

5) I touch on this at 3 but stop calling predictable running plays all the time. It's obvious everytime you are going to run the ball. You already have a bad line don't have to make it worse by letting the defense know. Again, this is magnified by using Chubb as a 2 down back when he can clearly catch. 

6) Mayfield had 0 carries? You're telling me you can't design ONE running play for him to keep the defense honest? At least have him take a few carries on an option to mitigate point 6. I know Mayfield isn't much of a rushing QB but incoprorate something into it.

• Like 4

I’m ready to go pick up Stafford over Mayfield before he gets scooped up. Mayfields schedule does get cushy tho.

Mayfield has been terrible...frustrating 

I'm being pushed to the edge as well, but I think this is a situation that calls for patience. Might drop someone to stream a QB for his next couple starts though.

Terrible coaching, terrible O-Line, terrible penalties, terrible schedule.  Really brutal right now

I feel like you can drop him unless you play in a 2 QB league. I have no shares of him but did not buy into the hype. Just never felt he was all that great and knew the line was going to be awful.

He’s literally the worst starting QB through 3 weeks by far. Fantasy points, actual stats, QBR, eye test, whatever. It’s all bad. 

• Like 2

If he holds the ball longer than 3 seconds, he either gets sacked or throws an interception. Can't believe I'm dropping him for Daniel Jones in a keeper league.

Boy, the Browns have a lot of good defensive teams on their schedule.  I was gonna say that it’s pretty disheartening to see guys like Daniel Jones and Kyle Allen come in and post 40 points a piece while Mayfield struggles to hit double digits, but he is going up against strong defensive teams (minus the Jets).

Kitchens is going to completely kill Baker's confidence by Week 6. I did think Baker was overhyped going into the season but by no means did I think he would look this rough, it's not entirely his fault with the playcalling being so erratic but he's starting to run from ghosts behind the line of scrimmage and that's going to be a terrible habit for him with strong defenses coming up on the schedule. 

6 hours ago, Asian Sensation said:

He’s literally the worst starting QB through 3 weeks by far. Fantasy points, actual stats, QBR, eye test, whatever. It’s all bad. 

*Marcus Mariota has entered the chat*

• Like 4

Hey Baker, can you possibly do any more commercials?  Your on prime time tv constantly this year.  Why.  You haven't done a damn thing in this league.  You look terrible and you have the gall to call out Daniel Jones.  He got more points in the 4th quarter yesterday than you've gotten all year.  I'm sure it will get better this week in Baltimore.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1