Sign in to follow this  
brockpapersizer

Fantasy Baseball Resources (Sites, Tools, Podcasts, Books, etc.)

I usually get the Forecaster. I don't think Shandler has a big say in it this year, I don't think he works for them really anymore.

Any advice on which to get Forecaster or Prospectus. Those who use Prospectus what do you like? Anyone use both?

I'll also plug Paul Sporer's pitching guide as a must purchase for any deep league players.

• Like 1

I got Forecaster again...mainly because it gives me something to read this week. His name is still on it, and they still use the same statistics. Definitely seems "safer" this year. He usually has more UP projections and DOWN projections. This year it seems like the DOWNs & UPs are obvious or given to middle relievers with closer potential. I'm a little disappointed in that department.

I got Forecaster again...mainly because it gives me something to read this week. His name is still on it, and they still use the same statistics. Definitely seems "safer" this year. He usually has more UP projections and DOWN projections. This year it seems like the DOWNs & UPs are obvious or given to middle relievers with closer potential. I'm a little disappointed in that department.

Did you get it from them directly? I'm waiting for Amazon to ship, it's cheaper.

Did you get it from them directly? I'm waiting for Amazon to ship, it's cheaper.

Yea...I got the PDF a little after thanksgiving. Then the book last week. I want it for the holidays, so I'll pay a little extra :-)

Yea...I got the PDF a little after thanksgiving. Then the book last week. I want it for the holidays, so I'll pay a little extra :-)

Fair enough. It's only a little more but on principle I find it ridiculous that you pay more to preorder it and get it first. Should be cheaper, not more expensive.

The markup on magazines and trade books is usually around 40-50%. So if it's a $26 book, it probably cost around $17 to produce I imagine Amazon just bought a ton of them and is selling them at price + whatever commission they charge. It keeps other sellers in check too so Amazon makes money off their commission. Baseball HQ is just selling it at their normal markup. ...i was in the book/media business for 10 years. The amount of $ and flexibility that Amazon has is almost unimaginable.

• Like 1

I feel as if I support HQ enough by buying their book from Amazon, I usually buy the Minor League one too and I go to the first pitch event.

I usually get Shandlers Forecaster, but Im going with BaseballProspectus this year for a change of pace.

I usually get Shandlers Forecaster, but Im going with BaseballProspectus this year for a change of pace.

I've been reading it's more focused on real baseball than fantasy baseball, so I think I'm going to stick.

I've been reading it's more focused on real baseball than fantasy baseball, so I think I'm going to stick.

Ill get Forecaster too, but i use Prospectus for a lot of my minor league stuff (their online subscription is pretty nice) and I prefer PECOTA projections so BP is good in that regard.

• Like 1

Anyone ever use rotochamp as a resource? I never get a warm fuzzy from their rankings, but I've never gone back to see how accurate their projections turned out

That can actually be useful though. Most of us understand the difference between MLB and Fantasy..

I'll be honest though. I have zero clue what a forecaster is. Never bought it or read it once in my life.

That can actually be useful though. Most of us understand the difference between MLB and Fantasy..

I'll be honest though. I have zero clue what a forecaster is. Never bought it or read it once in my life.

Forecaster is a great fantasy guide essentially. To put it simply. Perhaps the best one.

While I agree with you most understand the difference, I just don't care about analyzing baseball for real life, my main concern is giving myself the best knowledge to win my leagues so I would prefer resources to be best suited for that.

I've never used Forecaster but I have used Prospectus and baseballmonster. Both have online real time drafting applications.

I just noticed Forecaster is a magazine publication with daily updates online. Do they provide an online draft tool that automatically updates teams while the draft is going on? To me, that's what makes some of these fantasy sites so useful.

Hey can someone tell me what Forecaster is and the benefits ?

It's basically a really good fantasy guide. Gives projections, break down of advanced stats for the last few seasons for each player with a summary. Has a few articles and gives good tutorials on the importance of each stat they use.

Hey can someone tell me what Forecaster is and the benefits ?

It's changed the whole way I analyze stats for fantasy baseball purposes and has actually increased the number of winning teams I have in fantasy baseball. It takes a while to absorb all the info, but it goes so deep into statistics that it gives you a great look at all of the statistical measures that give you a better look at each player's underlying skill set. All of this makes it easier to do your own forecasting on players that goes beyond what their basic stats were for the previous year. It can also help you figure out which players might be overvalued and due for regression. It's not perfect, no projections are, but it seems like they're right far more often than they're wrong compared to some of the others' out there.

I also like one of Shandler's bigger underlying philosophies which is "draft skills, not roles." In the past, that sort of led the way for me to pick up players like A.J. Pollock and Jake DeGrom (to name a couple of examples) in keeper leagues back when they would have been considered deep sleepers by more casual fantasy baseball owners.

• Like 3

My issue with any fantasy resource is they're always geared toward standard 5 x 5. We use different categories (like K/BB instead of Ks) which can change value dramatically. Anyone have a great resource which is customizable?

My issue with any fantasy resource is they're always geared toward standard 5 x 5. We use different categories (like K/BB instead of Ks) which can change value dramatically. Anyone have a great resource which is customizable?

RotoChamp is customizable.
  • Like 2

Baseballmonster is fully customizable as well. I really like their projections.

• Like 2

I use The Fantasy Baseball Guide, chief editor is Peter Kreutzer. They have a lot of knowledgeable dudes collaborating like Alex Patton, Pianowski, Shandler, etc.

For projections, I use Fantasy 411's composite stats to determine the baseline. I infuse my own opinion and judgement from there. For ADP's, I use FantasyPros. Again, I use my personal judgement on draft day. I am a huge believer in crowdsourcing.

I'm not an expert enough to tell you which site is the best for fantasy, but I will tell you that if you love, I mean really love baseball, then baseball prospectus has the best daily baseball writing on the internet. If you pay for your subscription, you are supporting a great group of writers and thinkers. BP and the Rotoworld forums are my daily destinations.

• Like 2

This is a list of podcast' I routinely listen to some are better then others, I will rank them in a later post. I only use stitcher what do you perfer?

1. The Sleeper and the bust.

2. Baseball HQ radio.

3. Cbs fantasy baseballl today

4. ESPN Fantasy focus baseball

5. Short Hops

6. Rotowire fantasy baseball

7. Dear Mr Fantasy

8. Fantasy baseball insider podcast

9. ITL fantasy baseball

10. RAZZBALL

Please add im looking for new content I hope this list adds to your season

• Like 1

I have only listened to two of them. That being said the Sleeper and the Bust and the CBS fantasy baseball today are pretty good.

• Like 1

This is a list of podcast' I routinely listen to some are better then others, I will rank them in a later post. I only use stitcher what do you perfer?

1. The Sleeper and the bust.

2. Baseball HQ radio.

3. Cbs fantasy baseballl today

4. ESPN Fantasy focus baseball

5. Short Hops

6. Rotowire fantasy baseball

7. Dear Mr Fantasy

8. Fantasy baseball insider podcast

9. ITL fantasy baseball

10. RAZZBALL

Please add im looking for new content I hope this list adds to your season

I listen to the first four on that list & Sleeper and the Bust is my favorite by far, never miss an episode. The other three I enjoy but I don't listen to every episode.

• Like 1