Sign in to follow this  
brockpapersizer

Fantasy Baseball Resources (Sites, Tools, Podcasts, Books, etc.)

I echo all the suggestions of Baseball Forecaster. I got The Fantasy Black Book for the first time before this past season, and it was solid. I've gotten the Baseball Prospectus book in the past.

• Like 1

I went and got "winning fantasy baseball".  I really enjoy it (on chapter 3 now) Major Respect to the Resume Larry has built.  Il update later 

I also get Baseball Forcaster (since 1999), I pay for the on-line Baseball America content. I have for 8-10 years been getting Baseball Prospectus but am losing interest in it. I might get it this year for the last time.

Read up on basic negotiating tactics.  I’ve taken negotiation classes for my employer and they can relate to fantasy baseball.  

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Read up on basic negotiating tactics.  I’ve taken negotiation classes for my employer and they can relate to fantasy baseball.  

I admit that I'm not generally a good negotiator. 

Any early AL or NL only auction prices been published?  Looking at making some deals in keeper leagues and just wanted to peak at values for next season.

I figured we can share what website or article/blogs you follow. I came across Pitcherlist last year and it has solid content. What else do people here read other than Rotoworld?

2 hours ago, SRosenthal210 said:

I figured we can share what website or article/blogs you follow. I came across Pitcherlist last year and it has solid content. What else do people here read other than Rotoworld?

I use pitcher list a lot, I trust Nick Pollacks rankings more than my own. They added a bunch of staff members this offseason and is putting out multiple articles daily. Not just pitching either. hitter lists, mock drafts, and dynasty articles. Reddit usually compiles pretty good content, ama's and links to articles, just gotta filter through the ****posts.

For dynasties and prospects anything Ralph Lifshitz, aka prospect jesus, is a part of. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Poor Ralph Lifshitz and the RW forums profanity filter
  • Like 1

Starting around this time through kind of draft season, I will listen to a couple of podcasts when Im in the car or sometimes as a way to fall asleep a night - 

* Prospect 361 is kind of an interesting listen - guys are a bit older, sometimes go off track, recent episode guy got into talking about his experience at a Rams game and in a box didnt know who Eric Dickerson was, which maybe for a 25-year old I could understand, but this guy is like 55.  I enjoy more the conversational aspect even though in the course of 60-90 minutes might only get a few information nuggets. 

* In This League - Have just started listening over the offseason, like what I hear so far.  

Sleeper and the Bust is my favorite fantasy baseball podcast 

Sleeper and the Bust used to be the best bar none, imo. Paul and Eno were really great together. I just can’t do it anymore with Justin though. Maybe it’s just me, but he comes across as condescending, argumentative just for the hell of it, and will freely gloat on his correct calls and completely bury his many incorrect takes. I know replacing Eno can’t be easy, but man. 

Paul and Nick Pollack on the weekly fireside chat still brings the heat though. Love how they dig into pitching. 

For prospect hounds, the Razzball Prospect Podcast is a good source. TINO was good, but they haven’t had an episode out in a while; not sure what happened with them.

Scott White is still awful 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wtb88 said:

Sleeper and the Bust used to be the best bar none, imo. Paul and Eno were really great together. I just can’t do it anymore with Justin though. Maybe it’s just me, but he comes across as condescending, argumentative just for the hell of it, and will freely gloat on his correct calls and completely bury his many incorrect takes. I know replacing Eno can’t be easy, but man. 

Paul and Nick Pollack on the weekly fireside chat still brings the heat though. Love how they dig into pitching. 

For prospect hounds, the Razzball Prospect Podcast is a good source. TINO was good, but they haven’t had an episode out in a while; not sure what happened with them.

This guy is right on just about everything he said.  Mason is a big step down from Eno. I still listen to the podcast, but it's just less informative than it use to be. I remember when Nate Ravitz stepped down from both baseball and football podcasts on ESPN and both became unlistenable to me.

I have no clue how anyone listens to CBS either. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wtb88 said:

Eno really made the show, IMO. Paul is just as condescending and petty as Justin Mason. Just two guys who are tough to listen to. 

^havent heard of that one but the name made me laugh 

• Like 2

On 12/31/2018 at 8:42 AM, wtb88 said:

Justin is OK, I tend to kind of give him a break, he has had a lot of tough things going on in his life recently, during one of the podcasts his wife like went into labor way early like 2-3 months early, some other stuff as well.  

I guess as I listen to some of these podcasts or even look into websites and resources, my question is always what is these guys background, how are they the ones who breakthrough and become leaders in the fantasy industry.  Seems like a lot of them have websites, so I assume that is the basis is that they have a website where they are giving content writing articles, etc that becomes respected in that industry?

10 hours ago, parrothead said:

my question is always what is these guys background, how are they the ones who breakthrough and become leaders in the fantasy industry.  

The ability to work for free/little money and for a lot of hours is certainly a reason why some break out in the fantasy industry.  Justin seems to have worked for a ton of sites and made a bunch of connections.  I don't think he's  anything special as an analyst, I dont think he's bad either.  

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

The ability to work for free/little money and for a lot of hours is certainly a reason why some break out in the fantasy industry.  Justin seems to have worked for a ton of sites and made a bunch of connections.  I don't think he's  anything special as an analyst, I dont think he's bad either.  

He actually discusses a bit in recent podcasts and tweets after the death of Lawr Michaels, who he credits with getting him in on some of his breaks, he talked about forming a league designed to have industry leaders in it, so that he could connect with that group.   Seems like a lot of these guys have other jobs or things going on.  

33 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Seems like a lot of these guys have other jobs or things going on.  

Oh, they all do. I feel like very few people who work outside of ESPN/Yahoo do this full time. It's pretty hard to do and make a living do fantasy every year. 

15 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Oh, they all do. I feel like very few people who work outside of ESPN/Yahoo do this full time. It's pretty hard to do and make a living do fantasy every year. 

I would think so - or in order to make it go they have their irons in a lot of fires on the fantasy front - maybe guys on Sirius XM, who also write articles who have podcasts and blogs etc.  

I use to buy all the magazines/books each year(Playing for 30+ years now) but now everything is on the internet. I usually buy one magazine for the bathroom each year now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2