andypro77

Donte Moncrief 2019 Outlook

Gonna need a page for Donte, just signed with the Steelers for 2 years.

I'm not sure the phrase 'golden opportunity' has ever been more apt. Moncrief will turn 26 just before the season, and he has a history of being a decent if uninspiring NFL WR. He's clearly not AB, but he's also got the perfect mesh of enough youth, enough talent, and enough opportunity to make for a pretty decent season.

I'm calling it now - 72/900/8 with a chance for a bit more.

Not a bad projection - I’ll second that.

If he couldn't produce with Luck, it's unlikely he'll produce in PIT.

• Like 1

But...he did produce with Luck.

The last time he played all 16 games with the Colts, he went 64/733/6, and half of that was without Luck, and he was 22 years old at the time. So a few more catches, yards, and TDs with a full year of Ben doesn't seem out of the question.

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

But...he did produce with Luck.

Nope. He was a glorified TE, who went 2.5 seasons without exceeding 70 yards in a game. Good luck relying on that.

I'd be surprised if he got much more than 50 catches.  I can see him being a good red zone guy, so maybe he pops now and then, but I just dont believe Moncrief's shown enough to really believe he's a consistent threat

waiver wire, bye week flier who has a chance to work his way up the depth chart and get a starting role if injuries hit

• Like 2

Good for PIT's depth, not so much from a fantasy perspective...minus injuries of course, and then you would be relying on a highly inconsistent/underachiever.

I think what everyone is missing is that Moncrief is an outside receiver. Everyone else on the team 'eats' from the slot or underneath. JuJu led the NFL in targets from the slot last season.

Of course I think JuJu is good, but catching balls on the outside while maybe facing double teams is a whole different ball game than catching balls from the slot while the 2nd best WR in the NFL is getting double-teamed to take any pressure off you.

I think it's natural to think that JuJu regresses slightly this year from WR1 to WR2, and I think Moncrief picks up some of the slack and ends up a WR3 - a low-end fantasy starter with some weekly upside who might sneak into WR2 territory. By the way, Nelson Agholor and Zay Jones were WR 3's last season, so Moncrief doesn't have to set the world on fire to get there.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, andypro77 said:

I think what everyone is missing is that Moncrief is an outside receiver. Everyone else on the team 'eats' from the slot or underneath. JuJu led the NFL in targets from the slot last season.

Of course I think JuJu is good, but catching balls on the outside while maybe facing double teams is a whole different ball game than catching balls from the slot while the 2nd best WR in the NFL is getting double-teamed to take any pressure off you.

I think it's natural to think that JuJu regresses slightly this year from WR1 to WR2, and I think Moncrief picks up some of the slack and ends up a WR3 - a low-end fantasy starter with some weekly upside who might sneak into WR2 territory. By the way, Nelson Agholor and Zay Jones were WR 3's last season, so Moncrief doesn't have to set the world on fire to get there.

Well said.  There's a thin line amongst WR3's in fantasy, and he's gonna need the right breaks to get there.  My question come draft time will be if his floor is high enough in relation to his draft cost.  Its hard to gauge his usage with a new team with a gigantic void like this.    

6 minutes ago, BrianM said:

My question come draft time will be if his floor is high enough in relation to his draft cost.

This is why I play mostly best ball. After your top guys, you throw 3 or 4 Moncrief types out there and hope for the best.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Nope. He was a glorified TE, who went 2.5 seasons without exceeding 70 yards in a game. Good luck relying on that.

Feels like Luck just had a very glorified TE who had a wonderful season.

7 hours ago, andypro77 said:

Excellent point - I didn’t miss it!

12 hours ago, joshua18 said:

I mean, projecting 900 yards is a little over 50 ypg - and 72 catches comes out to 4.5 per game.  We all know he has a knack for coming down with the ball in the end zone.

No one’s saying he’ll become a WR1 or anything.  Seems fairly reasonable to expect if we are basing it purely on his past performance indicators while on the Colts.

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I mean, projecting 900 yards is a little over 50 ypg - and 72 catches comes out to 4.5 per game.  We all know he has a knack for coming down with the ball in the end zone.

No one’s saying he’ll become a WR1 or anything.  Seems fairly reasonable to expect if we are basing it purely on his past performance indicators while on the Colts.

Does anyone expect the Steelers defense to keep them in games? I suspect all wr's will be in heavy rotation  😂

• Like 1

There are very few QBs capable of dishing out more fantasy points to their teammates than Ben at this point.  Better than Luck, I’d say.

Still not ready to right off the 2017 Biletnikoff Winner for the likes of Moncrief. I'd rather pass on Donte at this point and take my chances with Washington. *especially if JuJu and Donte play outside, and Washington takes over the slot role.

15 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Still not ready to right off the 2017 Biletnikoff Winner for the likes of Moncrief. I'd rather pass on Donte at this point and take my chances with Washington. *especially if JuJu and Donte play outside, and Washington takes over the slot role.

I agree with this.   Washington's a guy I'll watch out for in camp, looking for cliche phrases like "he's really picking up the playbook" and "he's fast becoming one of the highlights of camp".     

Don't forget Vance McDonald too- big time "winner" so far this offseason

• Like 1

The key catch-phrase is, " He's really been turning heads in camp"... 😎

• Like 1

Moncrief has let me down too many times.  I like his landing spot, but I am still going to give him a skip this year.

On 3/15/2019 at 9:23 AM, FollowTheLeader said:

Washington looked outright horrible most of the time last year - he would have to take several steps forward before I’d take my chances with him in fantasy.

On 3/14/2019 at 10:39 AM, andypro77 said:

This is why I play mostly best ball. After your top guys, you throw 3 or 4 Moncrief types out there and hope for the best.

I've been drafting a ton of Moncrief in early best ball drafts (BB10's), getting him around the 12th to 14th rounds, as my WR4 or 5.  Crazy or wise?

On 3/14/2019 at 6:10 PM, BMcP said:

There are very few QBs capable of dishing out more fantasy points to their teammates than Ben at this point.  Better than Luck, I’d say.

Heck no. Ben has had the best WR in the game, a top-5 OL, and a top-3 at worst RB for the past 6 years. Give Luck any ONE of those and he throws 50 TDs a year. And that's not even factoring Juju.