andypro77

Donte Moncrief 2019 Outlook

Didn’t Luck have a top-5 OL last year?

So to me the big question is - Moncrief vs James Washington, who will be the better fantasy WR this year?  Did JW really show you enough last year that you're confident he'll step up and be the #2 over Donte?

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, dschddny said:

So to me the big question is - Moncrief vs James Washington, who will be the better fantasy WR this year?  Did JW really show you enough last year that you're confident he'll step up and be the #2 over Donte?

Last year's performance was poor- nobody should be going off of that as their metric.  If you're JW hyper, its because he was a good player in college, is on a team that seems to hit on almost every WR it drafts, and has the opportunity.    Some guys take a year to get it, he could be that guy.   

I'm still not sure where I stand on him- will likely come down to a draft day decision depending on how the rest of my roster looks.   I talked about this earlier, but I'll put some stock in his camp/preseason chatter.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dschddny said:

NFL Draft, Training Camp and Preseason play will be key. It's possible the next #2 WR isn't even on the team yet. This is a pretty deep rookie WR group, so it wouldn't shock me if PITT ended up with one of 'em.

Posted (edited)

For comparison (a few recent Rookie season stat lines for Pitt):

ABrown = 16/167/0

HWard = 15/246/0

JWashington = 16/217/1

PBurress = 22/273/0

ESanders = 28/376/6

MWallace = 39/756/6

AREl = 47/489/2

SHolmes = 49/824/2

Washington's rookie season slots right in there with some pretty talented Pittsburgh wideouts, and I don't believe any other WR on that list won the Biletnikoff Award for the nations most outstanding college receiver the year prior to signing with Pitt. At this point in the offseason, no way in heck I value a Moncrief JAG over a guy with Washington's pedigree, simply based on a poor rookie season (especially when that season is compared vs some of the great Pitt Wideouts on the list above.) *Pittsburgh is also known for developing WRs, which takes more than one rookie season.

Edited by FollowTheLeader
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 5:19 PM, dschddny said:

Last year Moncrief hardly set Jacksonville on fire. Neither did Washington in Pit, but at least he was a 22yo rookie. Moncrief to me is WW material, Washington at least is a long shot you could take a flyer on if he shows something in the pre-season - but even him I expect to see on the wire at some point.

If in a very deep league (16+) or maybe keeper, I'll always go for Washington though.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 5:45 PM, joshua18 said:

Heck no. Ben has had the best WR in the game, a top-5 OL, and a top-3 at worst RB for the past 6 years. Give Luck any ONE of those and he throws 50 TDs a year. And that's not even factoring Juju.

Lol...Joshua.  Still sour his 50 td Luck projection blew up in his face a few seasons ago...sounds like he invested high in Moncrief then also.

On 3/24/2019 at 6:51 PM, BMcP said:

Didn’t Luck have a top-5 OL last year?

Well he wasn’t on the colts last year, so

• Confused 2

Washington looked worse last year than moncrief ever has. Also juju should get all the focus now (rip him). One of the outside receivers will way for pitt

5 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Luck was

2 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

giphy.gif

2132110353_Screenshot_20190618-1425292.thumb.png.02554d01582577548360f800077608bd.png

Did you just pull a reverse Stephen A Smith there and confuse 2017 and 2018?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

Washington looked worse last year than moncrief ever has. Also juju should get all the focus now (rip him). One of the outside receivers will way for pitt

agreed, washington looked abysmal last season, worse than even moncrief has---and that's saying A LOT---but i'm willing to write it off as his rookie season. i liked the kid coming out of oklahoma, and more importantly ben likes him well enough. jwash looked horrible rookie year, but he did have flashes, and i expect better / competent production moving forward. for a round 10 draft price, i'll take washington all day long.

giphy.gif

that said, rookie diontae johnson is a solid talent and his ADP is even lower (undrafted in all but deep leagues). but i expect diontae to suffer the same rookie-season blues as jwash did last year.

EmbarrassedClumsyIndochinahogdeer-size_r

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 6:10 PM, BMcP said:

There are very few QBs capable of dishing out more fantasy points to their teammates than Ben at this point.  Better than Luck, I’d say.

If "at this point" means "the month of March" I agree.

There's a reason Luck is a top 3 QB pick and Big Ben is way (way) below that as a backup QB. Actually there are many reasons. 

If Moncrief couldn't stick with Luck tossing him the ball, good luck expecting a legit WR2 (NFL or FF) here. I foresee bits and pieces from him and Washington, just enough to frustrate anyone who owns them. No thx

I thought we were talking about DM? Missed the convo change to luck and his oline lol. Not sure how that’s relevant when DM was on the jags last year 

As a lifelong Steelers fan, still not big on this guy. He was supposed to break out for the colts for years. I suppose it could happen this year but I think it will just be an ugly rotation (for fantasy purposes) of moncrief and Washington all season 

4 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

As a lifelong Steelers fan, still not big on this guy. He was supposed to break out for the colts for years. I suppose it could happen this year but I think it will just be an ugly rotation (for fantasy purposes) of moncrief and Washington all season 

Moncrief is good at football. Everyone gonna see soon. 

Being a steelers fan doesn't really mean much with regards to watching him during his time in the league. Just sounds like a fan plug lol. 

Texans fan here... Sam Darnold has all the right stuff. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

He was well on his way, until Luck went down.
Brissett couldn't get anyone besides Doyle the ball in 2017, and went to an even worse situation with Bortles in 2018. 
Despite the QB play, he's still been decent. 

He's a big red-zone target, still only 25, and has a massive opportunity ahead of him.
I stashed him last year in my dynasty league, and I'm eagerly awaiting to see him beast out so I can sell high.
Once Big Ben retires, I'm afraid Moncrief's value is going to plummet once again. 

Edited by AirForceOne

37 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Moncrief is good at football. Everyone gonna see soon. 

Being a steelers fan doesn't really mean much with regards to watching him during his time in the league. Just sounds like a fan plug lol. 

Texans fan here... Sam Darnold has all the right stuff. 

I see more of a looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. He’s had the chances to put it all together. He will be good, but I’ve seen a lot of people talking over 1000 yards and 80 catches. I think no way. More of a 50-60 700-800 9 season. Still good, but not going to blow anyone away. I would LOVE to see him produce. Just skeptical is all. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I see more of a looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. He’s had the chances to put it all together. He will be good, but I’ve seen a lot of people talking over 1000 yards and 80 catches. I think no way. More of a 50-60 700-800 9 season. Still good, but not going to blow anyone away. I would LOVE to see him produce. Just skeptical is all. 

Fair. He's never done "it" yet and I get people's skepticism. 

He's my guy and I'm rolling with him regardless so I'm not gonna oversell him too much, but here's a few things people should note. 

Many WRs break out in year 3.

Year 2 he nearly doubled his production in year 1.

Year 3 he was definitely looking like a guy that was gonna pull down double digit TD's until some clown cheap shorted him and broke his collar bone, I remember it got zero coverage anywhere and I created a video and posted it in his thread or somewhere. 

Year 4 there was no Luck and most of the offense suffered.

Year 5 he played with Bortles. 

Year 6, he's back with a beast QB, healthy, and there's a lot of targets up for grabs. Ben literally doubled Bortles' output in 2018.