andypro77

Donte Moncrief 2019 Outlook

Lack luster historical output. Nothing in the preseason except a fumble. Yesterday resulted in multiple dropped passes (including a crucial 3rd down) + a False Start penalty, and a 3rec/7yd stat line on 10 targets. Simply brutal.

This guy keeps laying duds while Washington has been producing over the last ~5 weeks, and while just an arm chair QB, how long before the Pitt Staff make a change?

As someone who didn't watch - had he not dropped any of the catchable targets, what would his stat-line roughly look like?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bounce said:

As someone who didn't watch - had he not dropped any of the catchable targets, what would his stat-line roughly look like?

Better than Juju's...

He dropped a sure TD

5 hours ago, Szer0 said:

Better than Juju's...

He dropped a sure TD

Gotcha - that's what I'm wondering.   Were they short routes that wouldn't have amounted to much, or is he being targeted down field.   I won't drop him, just yet.  10 targets isn't something to turn away from, I'm just curious of the context that those 10 targets came in.  

On 9/9/2019 at 4:11 PM, FollowTheLeader said:

Lack luster historical output. Nothing in the preseason except a fumble. Yesterday resulted in multiple dropped passes (including a crucial 3rd down) + a False Start penalty, and a 3rec/7yd stat line on 10 targets. Simply brutal.

This guy keeps laying duds while Washington has been producing over the last ~5 weeks, and while just an arm chair QB, how long before the Pitt Staff make a change?

Washington was producing against 2nd-stringers and worse.  Why didn't he get to run with the 1's?  Moncrief probably outproduced him in practice, but I don't know that.

What concerns me about Moncrief is that all summer I didn't see one single report complimenting Moncrief's talent.  They complimented his professionalism, but that's it.  It had the feeling of d*#ning him with faint praise.

Very iffy....Targets were fantastic..But, I think Washington just took his place.

Moncrief looks to be a bust, and I targeted him heavy.  Perhaps a hold for the next week.......But......Looking for a reason to drop at this point.

• Like 1

He has only played 1 game.  Give him 5 games or so before calling him a bust.  He had a terrible game 1, yes, but he has the talent to bounce back.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 3:03 PM, TLBDS said:

I think it's actually cause he had 4 years with the Colts (and a lot of that was with Luck, albeit injured Luck) and couldn't put anything together.

Not saying it can't happen... seems very possible he could put up a very good WR2 season. I personally think they're using Moncrief as a pace car to motivate James Washington and Diontae and expect one of them to overtake Moncrief sometime during the season.

Gonna quote myself here cause it seems even more obvious now. Steelers are very good at drafting receivers, and no so great trading for them. I think they brought Moncrief in for the veteran presence - hopeful their own guys would beat him out.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

He has only played 1 game.  Give him 5 games or so before calling him a bust.  He had a terrible game 1, yes, but he has the talent to bounce back.

I think people are looking at his career. It's more than one game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FitzMagic said:

I think people are looking at his career. It's more than one game.

I still say to give him at least a couple more games.  The Steelers' offense as a whole didn't look good in game 1.

7 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I still say to give him at least a couple more games.  The Steelers' offense as a whole didn't look good in game 1.

Go with your gut, but also realize that Washington and Dionate will be long gone off waivers by the time everyone realizes Moncrief is a true bust.

I think the Colts figured it out.

EDIT: Seriously, take a look at this (albeit very small play) highlight posted in the Diontae thread. Moncrief hasn't made a single one-handed catch like that in his career. When you see flashes like THIS, pay close attention. I remember seeing it during the game and going WOW!!!

Edited by TLBDS
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TLBDS said:

Go with your gut, but also realize that Washington and Dionate will be long gone off waivers by the time everyone realizes Moncrief is a true bust.

My guess is that Smith-Schuster will be the main guy all year as long as he stays healthy and Moncrief, Washington and Johnson will take turns having decent to big games next to him.  Unless one of the latter 3 that I mentioned gets injured, it's going to be hard to count on any of them except for as a bye week filler.  Washington looks the best of the 3 right now but anything can happen.

3 minutes ago, TLBDS said:

Yep.

2 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Yep.

Moncrief was solid last year with Jacksonville but was victimized by poor quarterback play.  He also looked very good when Andrew Luck was his qb a couple of seasons ago.

He has had injury problems, yes, but I wouldn't call him a total bust.

Edited by sjm76

2 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Moncrief was solid last year with Jacksonville but was victimized by poor quarterback play.  He also looked very good when Andrew Luck was his qb a couple of seasons ago.

He has had injury problems, yes, but I wouldn't call him a total bust.

Won't argue with you here. I think he's extremely mediocre. Flashes of athletic brilliance + bad hands and focus = MEH. I would almost certainly drop him for Washington immediately. But I also expect they might feature Diontae this weekend. We'll see in a few days :)

10-targets,3-receptions,7yards😂!!

On 9/8/2019 at 11:37 PM, FlashGordon401 said:

giphy.gif

^^ This. I consider Moncrief to be so bad that I'm not sure he even deserves an "outlook" thread.

That's pretty harsh, and I suspect that at some point down the road a desperate opponent will start him and get 25 points against me...but still, I'm no scout - but I could tell long ago that he's not a good player.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Y’all sleepin. He’s their clear #2, and they’re not going to knock him down the depth chart after only one game where the entire team played terribly. Another game or two like this, then sure, but he’ll get another chance this week.

holding

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TLBDS said:

EDIT: Seriously, take a look at this (albeit very small play) highlight posted in the Diontae thread. Moncrief hasn't made a single one-handed catch like that in his career. When you see flashes like THIS, pay close attention. I remember seeing it during the game and going WOW!!!

When I look for WRs to draft in my PPR leagues I begin my filtering process with 1 hand catches. 

Chasing the 2nd receiver on a team that lost one of the most productive WRs in the history of the game might be fools gold. Pittsburg sustained 2 high quality WRs last year because Juju is an excellent receiver out of the slot, and because AB is one of the greatest receivers to ever play. This is an offense that historically doesn't harbor consistent value from their WR2. Juju was the first Pittsburg WR2 to top 750 yds since AB broke out. And he did so because his slot play complemented AB perfectly (and yes he was good on the outside too with AB taking much of the attention). 

Now that you don't have AB, you have a dilemma. You have Juju, and then you have the rest. A guy with a supposed dislocated finger who can't catch (Moncrief), a guy with 18 career receptions on 44 targets who didn't even work with the 1st team offense in preseason (Washington), and a rookie (Johnson). If you play Juju in the slot, teams don't have to respect your outside receivers. If you play Juju outside, Ryan "6.7 ypc" Switzer is your slot. 

Last year's Steeler's WR production was most likely a big outlier. The norm is very different. 150+ targets, 1000+ yds for the WR1. Under 750 yds and under 60 catches for the WR2. Chase at your own peril.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nickmo said:

Chasing the 2nd receiver on a team that lost one of the most productive WRs in the history of the game might be fools gold. Pittsburg sustained 2 high quality WRs last year because Juju is an excellent receiver out of the slot, and because AB is one of the greatest receivers to ever play. This is an offense that historically doesn't harbor consistent value from their WR2. Juju was the first Pittsburg WR2 to top 750 yds since AB broke out. And he did so because his slot play complemented AB perfectly (and yes he was good on the outside too with AB taking much of the attention). 

Now that you don't have AB, you have a dilemma. You have Juju, and then you have the rest. A guy with a supposed dislocated finger who can't catch (Moncrief), a guy with 18 career receptions on 44 targets who didn't even work with the 1st team offense in preseason (Washington), and a rookie (Johnson). If you play Juju in the slot, teams don't have to respect your outside receivers. If you play Juju outside, Ryan "6.7 ypc" Switzer is your slot. 

Last year's Steeler's WR production was most likely a big outlier. The norm is very different. 150+ targets, 1000+ yds for the WR1. Under 750 yds and under 60 catches for the WR2. Chase at your own peril.

Great points, but Moncrief is likely the last player on your bench and was a 10th+ round pick. We’re not talking about our 4th round pick here. Willing to let it play out and if I’m wrong I lose virtually nothing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nickmo said:

Lol. You clearly haven't followed the steelers the last, oh... 15 years give or take. 

Your fact is also completely false for about 80% of the previous years. 

5 minutes ago, Proto24 said:

Great points, but Moncrief is likely the last player on your bench and was a 10th+ round pick. We’re not talking about our 4th round pick here. Willing to let it play out and if I’m wrong I lose virtually nothing.

Agreed 100% and that actually was my main point, but I didn't finish my thought well. They are bench stashes but nothing that should keep someone from exploring other options. He's on my bench too.

Didn't look very good at all Sunday and ain't going last as the #2 WR if it keeps up

I'll say that the rookie is playing that role SOONER rather than latter