Sign in to follow this  
Ecofolux

Kyle Hendricks 2019 Outlook

Anyone a fan of this guy? Never owned him myself. Despite inconsistent ERA fluctuation (3.95, 2.13, 3.03, 3.44) his WHIP has been great (< 1.20) the past 4 seasons.  His SwStr% has always been mediocre but he's pitched at least 180 innings 3 of the past 4 seasons. Currently pick 130 on Yahoo (going around Darvish, Castillo, Archer). Anyone buying for this year?

I bought a share in my auction draft, and had intended to do so. I owned him in his best year, so I have fond memories of our time together. For this season, I see him with an ERA around 3.25 and a WHIP around 1.15. 190+ IP of those ratios, and the wins that come along with pitching for the Cubs, is a great buy at the price. I would try to pair him with an elite K guy to make up for the lack of strike outs, and you have yourself a solid backbone to your rotation 👍

• Haha 1

I’ve always liked him because he’s a good ratio stabilizer to pair with two high k SP1 and SP2 guys. His price is always cheap because he doesn’t have the k upside of a lot of the pitchers going around him but his value is there in the other categories. You just have to have the right mix of guys around him. 

• Like 1

Does he take a hit in QS leagues? I owned him during his breakout season, but I faintly remember he didn't go 6 innings very often

He is awful, if i recall he has one of tge worst fastballs in tge legue.. ticking time bomb

7 hours ago, street sharks said:

Does he take a hit in QS leagues? I owned him during his breakout season, but I faintly remember he didn't go 6 innings very often

Maddon managed him really weird that season, he's been been better with being allowed to go deeper the past two seasons.  

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

He is awful, if i recall he has one of tge worst fastballs in tge legue.. ticking time bomb

A ticking time bomb that's been ticking for like five years. At some point if a guy can beat the ERA estimators and other "skill" metrics for like 500+ innings, perhaps there are some skills that we just don't have the capacity to measure yet. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

A ticking time bomb that's been ticking for like five years. At some point if a guy can beat the ERA estimators and other "skill" metrics for like 500+ innings, perhaps there are some skills that we just don't have the capacity to measure yet. 

It’s the xMaddux stat

• Like 1

He's a guy that doesn't throw hard enough to break a window. If he's not hitting his spots it's like hitting off a tee. I'm gonna sit him until I see a couple of decent starts. Hate using up a roster spot but he is worth it when(if) he is right. 

Not worried yet.  As someone who's owned him somewhere for pretty much the past 4 years, I think every single year his 2nd half splits are always superior to his first half.  Last year his ERA dropped a full run in the 2nd half and his WHIP by 0.1.  The year before his ERA dropped by nearly 2 runs in the 2nd half.  For whatever reason it seems like a trend he gets stronger as the year goes on.  If all is right with him he should still finish the year with good numbers.

• Like 1

Would have liked better against no trout LAA... anyone able to actually watch him? So annoying good enough to feel like you need to hold but not good enough to actually produce haha 

https://www.fantrax.com/player/02bwg/87t41mmtjn85cwn1/kyle-hendricks/ro6krkirjn85cwnc

When you scroll down to his pre and post asb splits, you'll find that  April is his 2nd worst month as far as stats go. He's a career 2nd have stud: pre:  3.69era.. post: 2.66 era...He's proven that he can be very successful with his arsenal..Patience is warranted with Kyle for those that can be, those that can't will be visiting the rant and vent thread for a few more weeks.. 

4 minutes ago, FISH ON said:

https://www.fantrax.com/player/02bwg/87t41mmtjn85cwn1/kyle-hendricks/ro6krkirjn85cwnc

When you scroll down to his pre and post asb splits, you'll find that  April is his 2nd worst month as far as stats go. He's a career 2nd have stud: pre:  3.69era.. post: 2.66 era...He's proven that he can be very successful with his arsenal..Patience is warranted with Kyle for those that can be, those that can't will be visiting the rant and vent thread for a few more weeks.. 

I haven't owned him in quite a few years so I hope you're right.  I thought today was a pretty good matchup for him given that Trout wasn't in the lineup.  His first inning was smooth but then it went downhill the next couple innings.  He won't get many strikeouts so you're really counting on this guy limiting runs and WHIP to have fantasy value.  I guess a lot of pitchers have been uncharacteristically bad this year so he's just another casualty in the early goings.

Today (and all month) have been difficult with Kyle. I hope next month is brighter! :) The Cubs' bats have been quiet lately too, he needs them run support

Posted (edited)

He’s been one of the most consistent pitchers over the last 4 years. I am not a huge fan of him but he puts up ratios. He will be fine IMO. Second half is where he does his damage.

Edited by hangin n wangin

What's everyone's thoughts on Hendricks ROS ?

Historically he's been a better second half pitcher, with April/June by far his worst months. However we keep hearing he's lost velocity, not sure if we expect him to get an uptick or two back and be decent or if he's going to keep being a trainwreck. I grabbed him when he got dropped last week, looks like a lot of us are in the fence however.

I dropped him.  The thing that pushed me over the edge is even whe's good, he's not that good.  Decent era/whip but that's it.  His lack of k's really hurts his value.  You can probably pick him back up in a couple of weeks if he turns it around.

I am really on the fence as well. Bought him as a guy that I can rely on to stabilize ratios and he's doing everything but.

he was a drop for me.....ill monitor in case he can correct...but for now...its just too unpredictable.

On 4/29/2019 at 4:09 PM, Bill Blazejowski said:

I dropped him.  The thing that pushed me over the edge is even whe's good, he's not that good.  Decent era/whip but that's it.  His lack of k's really hurts his value.  You can probably pick him back up in a couple of weeks if he turns it around.

On 4/29/2019 at 7:25 PM, octapuss said:

he was a drop for me.....ill monitor in case he can correct...but for now...its just too unpredictable.

spacer.png

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lightning Bat said:

After everyone has dropped him lol

Nope not me