ajs723

Duke Johnson 2019 Outlook

9 hours ago, Fabrini said:

Word around here(KC beat writer) is that Carlos Hyde will be cut.Not a fan myself but have to wonder if they might try and sign him.

Yup, this has been theorised for some days. But he's now been meh on several offenses, and I don't think he has a future anymore. That's a pity, but turnover in the NFL is brutal.

On 8/28/2019 at 5:28 PM, martinjlm said:

This debate will never end until BOB comes out and says Duke is "our guy". And he hasn't. If this was Foster or Lamar he'd have said it which tells me they are still looking for Lamar's replacement. 

Who the hell is Bob? The owner? Doesn't matter though since someone not coming out and going "LOOK EVERYONE HE'S OUR GUY" means nothing. I don't think anyone has said Watson is their guy either, but pretty sure that's the case.

Basically I see no realistic RB acquisition that will unseat Johnson. Maybe make it a 1a 1b thing at most if it's someone like Drake. 

47 minutes ago, bomont said:

Who the hell is Bob? The owner? Doesn't matter though since someone not coming out and going "LOOK EVERYONE HE'S OUR GUY" means nothing. I don't think anyone has said Watson is their guy either, but pretty sure that's the case.

Basically I see no realistic RB acquisition that will unseat Johnson. Maybe make it a 1a 1b thing at most if it's someone like Drake. 

Frankly I think Drake would be a terrible fit anyway. He's very talented but his vision is subpar. He's the kind of guy that would dominate with an elite line and would be trash with a bad line. Guess which one Houston has. Even if they got him, Duke would be the superior back. But that won't stop Houston from drafting a more traditional back that they can give 200 carries for <800 yards.

On 8/28/2019 at 4:53 PM, Brownsfan74 said:

I don't hate Duke...just trying to properly assess his value and risk.

I still am. The touches will be there, both rushing and as check-down receiving. But the OL is bad and Watson will do a lot of running on his own, and we still don't really know how good this guy can be as a full-time RB. in PPR he's easily worth rostering, but how high?  I see RB2 at best, borderline RB3/4 at worst.

5 minutes ago, bomont said:

I still am. The touches will be there, both rushing and as check-down receiving. But the OL is bad and Watson will do a lot of running on his own, and we still don't really know how good this guy can be as a full-time RB. in PPR he's easily worth rostering, but how high?  I see RB2 at best, borderline RB3/4 at worst.

In PPR? Unless he ends up Houston's RB2 you're nuts.

? Sorry don't follow. You think he's a RB1 level? Anything's possible but behind that OL and with Watson running and passing to 3 (if healthy) good WRs, I doubt it. Johnson isn't THAT good.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bomont said:

? Sorry don't follow. You think he's a RB1 level? Anything's possible but behind that OL and with Watson running and passing to 3 (if healthy) good WRs, I doubt it. Johnson isn't THAT good.

In PPR? His floor is nowhere near an RB4 if he's the #1 back.

Please remember the Texans traded a 3rd round pick to acquire this guy. That is a high price to pay in this day and age where "running backs don't matter". Duke is going to get a huge opportunity to carry most of the load. If he falls flat then maybe they make changes down the line but no one is unseating him right off the bat IMO. When teams play the Texans they will be focusing on stopping Hopkins and containing Watson. I'd be surprised if Duke doesn't have a good to great season if health allows.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bomont said:

Bill O’Brien the Texans head coach. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

rather have him than lindsey, coleman, sanders group.  

white then him then them I would say in ppr.. maybe duke and white coin flip

That being said.. what round for Johnson this year?

Edited by floppy

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, floppy said:

white then him then them I would say in ppr.. maybe duke and white coin flip

That being said.. what round for Johnson this year?

He's squarely in the 5th round in 12 teamers (0.5 PPR) at this point. His ECR's around RB26 so you'll likely have to hope he'll be there in the 5th or reach in the 4th. He's right in there with White, Coleman and Lindsay. A full round ahead of guys like Cohen and Lat Murray.

Edited by LongBalls
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Both are looking for depth. 

More than likely all they can afford. I doubt the Texans will move much draft capital for a RB after the Duke trade unless they go full-out on something like Gordon. Short of a Clowney trade they'll probably be looking at cheaper (i.e. depth) options.

At last, a coach who will undoubtedly know exactly how to take full advantage of a long-frustrated and frustrating player's obvious skills....

pffffffffffbwaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted (edited)

Watson targeted his RBs 67 times (13% of his total pass attempts) last year. Watson's average depth of target the last 2 years was 8.9 and 11.1. He loves to throw to his WRs, and doesn't mind taking chances on deep throws. He can also run very well when his line breaks down instead of throwing to the check down option. The point I'm making is, even though the player has a certain skill set, it doesn't mean a team is fully prepared to use them. The Texans don't utilize their RBs in the pass game much.  I'm keeping my expectations on his receiving line tempered. And considering he's averaged 130ish touches a season since he's been in the league and only handled over 150 carries once since college, I'm tempering my expectations on his workload. 

Edited by Nickmo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickmo said:

Watson targeted his RBs 67 times (13% of his total pass attempts) last year. Watson's average depth of target the last 2 years was 8.9 and 11.1. He loves to throw to his WRs, and doesn't mind taking chances on deep throws. He can also run very well when his line breaks down instead of throwing to the check down option. The point I'm making is, even though the player has a certain skill set, it doesn't mean a team is fully prepared to use them. The Texans don't utilize their RBs in the pass game much.  I'm keeping my expectations on his receiving line tempered. And considering he's averaged 130ish touches a season since he's been in the league and only handled over 150 carries once since college, I'm tempering my expectations on his workload. 

Not to mention Houston has one of the worst o-lines in the NFL. It definitely isn't a recipe for fantasy success. 

3 hours ago, Nickmo said:

Just a hunch, but they wouldn't have traded a 3rd rounder for him if they didn't intend to utilize his skill set.  Maybe they didn't use their RBs in the passing game much because they didn't have a player with his skill set?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nickmo said:

It is because they never had the personnel.  Lamar Miller is average and Foreman/Blue didn’t possess that skill either.

The Texans got away with this by utilize Keke as an extension of their running game but the guy can’t stay healthy.

You now have a guy who is probably one of the best pass catching backs in the league and they have been lining him up everywhere during practice.  Safe to say they finally have an aspect of the offense they have never had before in a guy like Duke.

On 8/29/2019 at 1:22 PM, Brownsfan74 said:

I don't see the Texans getting Shady.  It's a new season, hope is in the air, and the Bills want to win a championship (realistic or not). 

It's not going to be easy to get arguably their best offensive player now, which would be tantamount to giving up on the season already.

How do I delete previous posts?

I don't think it would affect Duke if McCoy goes to Houston.  McCoy is a shade of himself (pun intended) and Duke gonna get his regardless.  Duke is not the kind of guy you want to slam it into the back of a bad offensive line over and over again for 2 yards and a cloud of dust.  Let someone else take those body blows that so Duke can get his touches in space.

Duke is nothing special.  Don't get your hopes up.