Gile Pile

Alex Caruso 2018-2109 season outlook

After today's performance against New York he deserves his own thread.

If he can keep it up like last three games, he  could be  that secret ingredient for the winning formula.

What Rotoworld had to say about him:

"Alex Caruso (4%)- Imagine calling this guy a pickup before the season started. That’s how far the Lakers have fallen off and with LeBron James starting to rest that’s a sign that the Lakers are waving the white towel on their season. Caruso had plenty of success in the G League with a 14/6/4 line with 2.2 steals and 1.1 triples, and he’s been a nice surprise in the last two games for the Lakers with 16.0 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.0 steals and 1.5 triples. I think he’ll be a better add next week when the Lakers play four times and they will probably start reeling in Rajon Rondo’s minutes at that point."

14 hours ago, squid-jesus said:

8 stocks... Feels like it's an outlier or something that was bound to happen. Can't tell at all

When I want to know if someone's stocks are real, I check their college stats and he is a guy that pretty much averaged 2 steals a game all four years in college (1.8 his first, the rest 2.0 or 2.1).  His blocks his first two years were at 0.5 and 0.8, and then tapered off his last two years.  And like it was mentioned above, he also averaged 2.2 steals in the G league (and 0.6 blocks). 

So I think as far as steals he has a legit chance of averaging 1.5 steals the rest of the way if he gets the minutes, and I also don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that he can be at a half a block a game. He might have a chance to be useful the rest of the way given the Lakers situation if he consistently gets minutes. 

• Like 3

I'm streaming him for this week. Definitely watching some Lakers games! Hoping for 26-29 minutes with +10 points, some rebs and asts sprinkled in and obviously steady stocks.

He could have had another 3-4 steals Sunday 😂. Had a few balls he stripped/tipped go back to the knicks or off players legs out of bounds. He’s my new favorite player. 

So what will he be next season?  Will he be a rotation player, starter or at the end of the bench?

24 minutes ago, peek said:

So what will he be next season?  Will he be a rotation player, starter or at the end of the bench?

Probably no chance of starting as Lonzo is coming back next year. It'll  depend on what they do with Rondo who is an expiring, if they bring him back (or another PG of similar caliber) then Caruso is looking at limited bench minutes again. If not he could get solid rotation time.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, peek said:

I think he'll be a solid rotation player off the bench, that can spot start at either guard position.  It all depends on what they do in the offseason, but I think we saw a preview of their bench lineup for next year.  Assuming they get rid of all the expiring one year contracts, their second unit would be something like 

Caruso

Bonga

Hart

Williams

Wagner

Muscala 

To me this makes sense - all are cheap young players who are pretty useful, which allows them to spend on potential big free agent(s). 

Edited by hipriest69