Sidearmer

Hunter Pence 2019 Outlook

Anything to see here? He's having a monster Spring:

3 HR, 5/5 SB, 5 2B, .385 AVG, .455 OBP

Probably nothing, but theoretically could carve out an every day role with the Rangers and if he decides to add some speed to his game becomes interesting. Seems motivated.

They talked about him on MLB Network radio and with him a few times. Apparently he revamped his swing and he now "incorporates his lower half" which he suggests is something that was not the case previously. He then went down to the Dominican winter league to give his new swing a trial run. Winter league is not something you would expect from a player of Pence's Stature. Not sure how did he but those leagues tend to be pretty competitive according to MLB Network radio.

He's motivated with a revamped swing so maybe keep an eye on him and take a flyer if he's free and you need a stop gap

7 minutes ago, Nightmare130 said:

They talked about him on MLB Network radio and with him a few times. Apparently he revamped his swing and he now "incorporates his lower half" which he suggests is something that was not the case previously. He then went down to the Dominican winter league to give his new swing a trial run. Winter league is not something you would expect from a player of Pence's Stature. Not sure how did he but those leagues tend to be pretty competitive according to MLB Network radio.

He's motivated with a revamped swing so maybe keep an eye on him and take a flyer if he's free and you need a stop gap

image.thumb.png.ff7e6495bce280440f00977d2a9784df.png

Only played 8 games, nothing special, but a HR and SB.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Nightmare130 said:

He has no real stature left at this point.  Like jb_power said, he is battling to prolong his MLB life.  There are plenty of up and comers I'd take over him and have the last few years even.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I'll forever love Hunter.  Class act,  helped me win a few titles,  the fan interactions were top notch,  just generally a fun dude.  

But you'd have to be in a super deep league to roster in fantasy these days.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As a Ranger fan I wish. Another SB today which gives him 6. I think he’s at least worth keeping an eye on in deep leagues.

Edited by DFWSooner

Posted (edited)

I really hate when old guys are recycled and gifted spots in their lineup despite lack of production (keep our eyes on Mark Reynolds in Colorado). In Pence's case, the production is there and he deserves to make the Rangers. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Thanks 1

Stolen base today. So maybe he's actually going to try adding speed to his game.

• Like 1

Seems to getting some PT anyone feeling a back from the dead situation here?

Posted (edited)

When watching him it really looks like he can still swing the bat. He looks healthy and like the old Hunter Pence, I just don't know if he'll get every day at bats, as he's sitting again today. However, if he continues to hit the way he's been hitting then surely they'll find a way to get his bat in the lineup.  In deeper leagues he's someone I'd keep an eye on at least until he cools off.

Edited by DFWSooner

2 minutes ago, brooklynfinest42 said:

is it time to pick this guy up?

Deep bench / daily's I see no reason not to. Can't see him getting enough PT right now to justify picking up in weekly leagues

3 minutes ago, brooklynfinest42 said:

is it time to pick this guy up?

It has been for some time if you micro-manage him daily.  If not?  Well he only starts about 50% of the time.

28 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Delino sent to the minors and pence has been raking, anyone see anymore PT in his future

Sounds like he’s in line for regular playing time or close to it:

I guess that means on most nights they’ll have Gallo in center (yikes), Pence/Mazara in the corners, Choo at dh, and Guzman at 1b. Santana will sprinkle in some. I could be crazy but I think this makes Pence a must-add, at least in 5-outfielder leagues.

3 straight games with a HR. I don't know how long it will last but I'm telling you, he looks like the old Hunter Pence. Watching him every night it just feels like more than an older player temporarily swinging a hot bat. I could be wrong but I think he'll continue to play well as long as he stays healthy.

• Like 1

94 mph exit velo, 328’

2 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Didn't realize he underwent a deliberate swing change in the offseason...

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/04/04/hunter-pence-texas-rangers-san-francisco-giants

Yeah, there were quite a few articles about it. His Statcast numbers are off the charts. He’s looking at being a regular in that lineup hitting cleanup now that Deshields was demoted. He’s hitting in one of the best hitting parks instead of San Fran. I’m 100% in. I’m not sure why people aren’t adding faster.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

94 mph exit velo, 328’

Yeah, it barely got out. Lol. But still, his hot bat has pretty much forced his way into more ABs.