Members_Only_76

2019 Vent & Rant Thread

Lost Snell a couple weeks before the playoffs.  Lost Sale the day before my first round matchup of the playoffs.  Somehow managed to advance thanks to my offense.  Now I'm in the semis where the winner is in the money.  I just received the news that I lost Gray and Stroman pulled in the middle of the start (of course before he could qualify for a QS or win).  What's left of my rotation (for the most critical 2 weeks of my fantasy season) includes Hendricks, Bassitt, Quantrill, Caleb, Allard, Nova, Porcello and Vargas.  Most of these guys were just recently picked up from the waiver wire to compensate for injuries.  My opponent's rotation includes Kershaw, Mad Bum, Buehler, Flaherty, Hamels, Scherzer, May and Paddack.  I beat this guy a few weeks ago pretty easily.  Now I'll be lucky to get within 200 of him.  Worst luck to end the season that I've ever had in my life.  

Why can’t pitchers dominate lineups they should?  Ya I’m looking at you Yu.  #Clown

Posted (edited)

Anyone’s else try to get a bit of a jump on catcher since it’s such a weak position? Now, for the first time seemingly ever, there are like 15 absolutely identical, interchangeable quality catchers in the league.  Everyone has one, and there’s a few on the wire.

Edited by Cesare13

1 minute ago, Cesare13 said:

Anyone’s else try to get a bit of a jump on catcher since it’s such a weak position? Now, for the first time seemingly ever, there are like 15 absolutely identical, interchangeable quality catchers in the league.  Everyone has one, and there’s a few on the wire.

Oddly enough, I am rostering two catchers right now (Will Smith and Realmuto) in a 1 catcher league thanks to Realmuto having 1B eligibility and playing everyday like a regular position player.  Still, I think if I was saying this exact same thing earlier in the season, I'd think I'd still have an advantage there because...

I have a feeling most of these guys won't be this productive next season.  Some of the early season "breakouts" at catcher fizzled, so I wouldn't be that shocked if it thinned out again next season.

Nats last 5 games 14 runs, 16, 13, 1, 11. Of course the one is when Strasburg throws a gem and doesn’t get the win. 

Minor 7 runs 7 earned  Lopez 7 runs 3 earned  McKay 7 runs 2 earned  so all my runs are earned but only 5/14 for my opponent are earned? Lol ok 

Opponent last week - 51 R 24 2B 21 HR 52 RBI .291 avg .988 ops 76 k’s 2.33 era 1.07 whip 6 QS

This week against first place (I’m second) - 9 R 4 2B 1 HR 7 RBI .229 avg .642 ops 30 k’s 3.81 era 1.17 whip 2 qs. This clown in first place has gotten lucky all year. Everyone goes off against me everyone has their worst week against him. I’ve had like 70% of my roster on the DL at some point his worst injury was Moncada for a couple weeks  

22 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

Nats last 5 games 14 runs, 16, 13, 1, 11. Of course the one is when Strasburg throws a gem and doesn’t get the win. 

Minor 7 runs 7 earned  Lopez 7 runs 3 earned  McKay 7 runs 2 earned  so all my runs are earned but only 5/14 for my opponent are earned? Lol ok 

Opponent last week - 51 R 24 2B 21 HR 52 RBI .291 avg .988 ops 76 k’s 2.33 era 1.07 whip 6 QS

This week against first place (I’m second) - 9 R 4 2B 1 HR 7 RBI .229 avg .642 ops 30 k’s 3.81 era 1.17 whip 2 qs. This clown in first place has gotten lucky all year. Everyone goes off against me everyone has their worst week against him. I’ve had like 70% of my roster on the DL at some point his worst injury was Moncada for a couple weeks  

Rendon has been slashinggggg

40 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

It’s amazing.  There’s a guy in my league.  Nice guy and doesn’t brag or anything, but has not had a serious injury for 3 years.  The worst one my league leader has had has been woodruff.  

I'm leading my league in every hitting category and every pitching category except innings pitched and I'm not in first place. 

12 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Oddly enough, I am rostering two catchers right now (Will Smith and Realmuto) in a 1 catcher league thanks to Realmuto having 1B eligibility and playing everyday like a regular position player.  Still, I think if I was saying this exact same thing earlier in the season, I'd think I'd still have an advantage there because...

I have a feeling most of these guys won't be this productive next season.  Some of the early season "breakouts" at catcher fizzled, so I wouldn't be that shocked if it thinned out again next season.

I still think realmuto is above the rest (not by THAT much mind you).  But guys like narvaez, McCann, Vasquez, and garver have given a free pass to anyone that didn’t spend on catcher.  Not a big rant really, just remembering using Jorge Alfaro last year.

6 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

I still think realmuto is above the rest (not by THAT much mind you).  But guys like narvaez, McCann, Vasquez, and garver have given a free pass to anyone that didn’t spend on catcher.  Not a big rant really, just remembering using Jorge Alfaro last year.

The difference, like I said before, is that Realmuto produces basically all season, while most of the guys mentioned have fallen off to the point where there is a definite advantage still to having one of the few really good options.  Honestly, I'd say the position is pretty much back to what it was before the season started.  We now have Will Smith that can likely be added to the group, but I'd say the only one mentioned that is still hanging in there is Vazquez.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

The difference, like I said before, is that Realmuto produces basically all season, while most of the guys mentioned have fallen off to the point where there is a definite advantage still to having one of the few really good options.  Honestly, I'd say the position is pretty much back to what it was before the season started.  We now have Will Smith that can likely be added to the group, but I'd say the only one mentioned that is still hanging in there is Vazquez.

Follow the golden rule of C's in fantasy...never pay for one.  Way more often than not, those paying high draft picks for a C usually end up either getting burned or at best, getting a round 12 player at round 4-5 prices.  Every now and them you get a standout at the position, but it rarely lasts year to year.   From Posey to Mauer to Realmuto to Contreras, etc..

Edited by secretagentman

53 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

You must be h2h and I’m in  roto. My parents warned be about you people.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Follow the golden rule of C's in fantasy...never pay for one.  Way more often than not, those paying high draft picks for a C usually end up either getting burned or at best, getting a round 12 player at round 4-5 prices.  Every now and them you get a standout at the position, but it rarely lasts year to year.   From Posey to Mauer to Realmuto to Contreras, etc..

I know, I know.  :( .  It’s solid, sound advice that I always follow, and has worked out great the last 2 years (late realmuto, and late Ramos) But I was at a point where there was nothing I liked at that spot in the draft.  If there was ever a c that was also dh/1b and was actually good, I might break that rule to reach for him.

3 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

You must be h2h and I’m in  roto. My parents warned be about you people.

Lol, no actually.  I've never played H2H for baseball and never will actually (not that you would have known that).

On 8/21/2019 at 8:55 PM, mehtavg2000 said:

Lost Snell a couple weeks before the playoffs.  Lost Sale the day before my first round matchup of the playoffs.  Somehow managed to advance thanks to my offense.  Now I'm in the semis where the winner is in the money.  I just received the news that I lost Gray and Stroman pulled in the middle of the start (of course before he could qualify for a QS or win).  What's left of my rotation (for the most critical 2 weeks of my fantasy season) includes Hendricks, Bassitt, Quantrill, Caleb, Allard, Nova, Porcello and Vargas.  Most of these guys were just recently picked up from the waiver wire to compensate for injuries.  My opponent's rotation includes Kershaw, Mad Bum, Buehler, Flaherty, Hamels, Scherzer, May and Paddack.  I beat this guy a few weeks ago pretty easily.  Now I'll be lucky to get within 200 of him.  Worst luck to end the season that I've ever had in my life.  

And now Santana reinjured his hamstring and Eloy is hurt again.  2 more guys out of lineup for the week.  So since the start of my semi matchup, I've lost Sale, Gray, Stroman (start cut short), Santana (in and out this week) and now Eloy.  All in one week (just the most important week of the season).  

Posted (edited)

My team has been moving up in the standings of late despite a continued season long struggle of trying to improve at all in batting average.  I'm getting really sick and tired of spending time and effort each day to try to piece together lineups to try to finally make some progress there, even picking up players like Arraez who is supposed to be a premiere batting average stabilizer and making trades/moves to rid myself of anybody who was a liability there.  Pick up a hot player, he does nothing, I cut him, he has a couple of good games, I may cut him again.

My batting averages for the week (starting on Sunday the 18th)... .207, .385 (only 8 players), .222, .255, .143, and .240 so far tonight.  It's not like I have a bad roster by any means, so it's not me just expecting too much from mediocre players.  Will Smith, J.T. Realmuto, Ketel Marte, Jose Ramirez, Francisco Lindor, Danny Santana, Carlos Santana, Yordan Alvarez, J.D. Davis, Aristides Aquino, Willie Calhoun, Luis Arraez, Nick Solak, and Austin Nola.  Not a single hitter there that hits for anything remotely close to a bad batting average, but somehow I get hardly any multi-hit games and too many 0-fers to get a decent batting average most days.  Like I already said, it's getting to a point where enough is enough.

Edited by KilloWertz

3 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

My team has been moving up in the standings of late despite a continued season long struggle of trying to improve at all in batting average.  I'm getting really sick and tired of spending time and effort each day to try to piece together lineups to try to finally make some progress there, even picking up players like Arraez who is supposed to be a premiere batting average stabilizer and making trades/moves to rid myself of anybody who was a liability there.  Pick up a hot player, he does nothing, I cut him, he has a couple of good games, I may cut him again.

My batting averages for the week (starting on Sunday the 18th)... .207, .385 (only 8 players), .222, .255, .143, and .240 so far tonight.  It's not like I have a bad roster by any means, so it's not me just expecting too much from mediocre players.  Will Smith, J.T. Realmuto, Ketel Marte, Jose Ramirez, Francisco Lindor, Danny Santana, Carlos Santana, Yordan Alvarez, J.D. Davis, Aristides Aquino, Willie Calhoun, Luis Arraez, Nick Solak, and Austin Nola.  Not a single hitter there that hits for anything remotely close to a bad batting average, but somehow I get hardly any multi-hit games and too many 0-fers to get a decent batting average most days.  Like I already said, it's getting to a point where enough is enough.

It is called chasing stats.  If you had stuck with\had the lineup each and every day (or the majority of the time), your avg would be closer to your expectations.  When you try to play cute with daily picks based on matchups or go to the hot player instead of the cold one, a lot of times you catch the valleys instead of the peaks.  That said, chasing avg is always a bad idea imo.  You can lose bad avg guys, but trying to coax a good avg out of your squad usually does not work for the reasons already indicated.  You are almost always better off playing your best squad the majority of the time.  Guys who are supposed to hit usually do.  The ones that do not for extended period you cut and get someone who is.  If you end up with high round picks like the Matt Carpenters of the world, you basically get screwed because it takes you awhile to realize the stiff is a complete bust.  Not much you can do there.

I set my alarm to get Vince Velazquez to stream against the marlins.  Then went back to bed chuckling at my savvyness.    Checked the scores once while out and saw Phillies 4-marlins 0 and shook my head in amazement at how  awesome I was.  7 runs in 2 in 2 innings??  Against the. Marlins?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, secretagentman said:

It is called chasing stats.  If you had stuck with\had the lineup each and every day (or the majority of the time), your avg would be closer to your expectations.  When you try to play cute with daily picks based on matchups or go to the hot player instead of the cold one, a lot of times you catch the valleys instead of the peaks.  That said, chasing avg is always a bad idea imo.  You can lose bad avg guys, but trying to coax a good avg out of your squad usually does not work for the reasons already indicated.  You are almost always better off playing your best squad the majority of the time.  Guys who are supposed to hit usually do.  The ones that do not for extended period you cut and get someone who is.  If you end up with high round picks like the Matt Carpenters of the world, you basically get screwed because it takes you awhile to realize the stiff is a complete bust.  Not much you can do there.

You are not wrong, but I made it seem like I was changing more of my lineup than I really am.  The vast majority of the people I listed are on my team on a daily basis.  It's mainly a UTIL spot or two, and maybe one OF spot here and there on days when I have spot there open.  As long as they are in the lineup, I play Smith, Realmuto, Marte, Ramirez, Lindor, Carlos Santana (traded for a few days ago), Danny Santana (also recently traded for), Alvarez, J.D. Davis, Aquino, Calhoun, Arraez, and now Solak any day they are in the lineup.  Traded for Ketel Marte a few weeks ago and J.D. Davis about a week and a half ago.

It's not like that core that I posted shouldn't be able to shoulder the load even if I am picking up a player or two some days to fill out spots if I have an opening.  I don't have a single player batting under .277 right now, except for Ramirez, but that can be ignored given his awful few months.

Edited by KilloWertz

20 point lead on the final day of a must win match up and one week left until the playoffs. Of course I lose JRam and possibly Rizzo on the same day. Surely Kipnis and VanMeter/Pujols can match their lost production right?

Obviously I lose JoRam for the season a day before the playoffs start right? This has got to be my worst fantasy heartbreak in recent memory.

I will never forgive you this day,  Bauer. You bum

• Thanks 1

Well ok then...thanks for 2 strikeouts Bauer, I guess.

Posted (edited)

my season in a nutshell:

I'm streaming brock burke (chasing wins; can take the ratio hit).  My opponent has tim anderson and jose abreu.  anderson reaches via error, so up comes abreu and immediately hits an RBI single.

All offensive categories are close, so this 5 minute sequence effects so many different categories and not in my favor.  For whatever, my team shuts the f--- down on sundays, so i ALWAYS lose any close categories on sundays.

the playoff race for the 5th and 6th spots are tight and this will probably be the reason why i'm on the outside looking on.

so frustrating.

Edited by crotchcrickets