Backdoor Slider

Mookie Betts 2019 Outlook

6 hours ago, B&F said:

He is ranked #133 in my standard 5x5 league which in a 15 team league is 9th round value.

5 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

That’s...odd. He’s ranked #35 on espn player rater for standard 5 x 5 league, which in a 15 team league is 3rd round value.

49th in 5x5 H2H CBS league. AVG..HR..RBI..R..SB.

3 multi-hit games (including back to back three hit games) and 10 runs scored in his last 5 games played. 

His 76 runs scored lead the MLB by 6 over Bellinger. His average is up to .273 (and he’s hitting .333 the past two weeks). His overall rank in my 5x5 league is now #36.  

Hes going to be just fine and if you can still “buy low” I would highly recommend it. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

He's the 24th ranked hitter in fantrax and the 22nd in ESPN.

Fantrax just overrate pitchers in their algorithm

In general I only look at how a player ranks vs other hitters. Since drafts de-emphasis on pitchers due to risk. There always ends up more pitchers in the top 10, 20 or 50 by years end then was drafted.

You are not doing bad if your first round hitter is still a top 30 bat.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mjb03003 said:

3 multi-hit games (including back to back three hit games) and 10 runs scored in his last 5 games played. 

His 76 runs scored lead the MLB by 6 over Bellinger. His average is up to .273 (and he’s hitting .333 the past two weeks). His overall rank in my 5x5 league is now #36.  

Hes going to be just fine and if you can still “buy low” I would highly recommend it. 

I think the buy low window has already closed. As someone who owns him in 2/11 leagues i couldnt imagine selling him now. Really i was never considering selling him at anytime.

I just wish i was more aggressive trying to buy him earlier. I imagine we could of landed him at a great price.

8 minutes ago, buzzkilloton said:

I think the buy low window has already closed. As someone who owns him in 2/11 leagues i couldnt imagine selling him now. Really i was never considering selling him at anytime.

I just wish i was more aggressive trying to buy him earlier. I imagine we could of landed him at a great price.

I don’t think there ever was a buy low window. We’ve seen this exact type of “down year” from Mookie. Nothing was broken or wrong or injured. He was just playing to his floor instead of last season’s ceiling 

22 hours ago, buzzkilloton said:

22 hours ago, merlin401 said:

I don’t think there ever was a buy low window. We’ve seen this exact type of “down year” from Mookie. Nothing was broken or wrong or injured. He was just playing to his floor instead of last season’s ceiling 

I wouldn't have considered selling either, but judging by the comments in this thread there are those who are considerably down on him... probably people who don't own him and never have, but lots of negativity. 

Only thing that irritates me is it seems he isn’t taking advantage of the juiced ball era. 13 homeruns is pretty light. 

1 hour ago, mjb03003 said:

I wouldn't have considered selling either, but judging by the comments in this thread there are those who are considerably down on him... probably people who don't own him and never have, but lots of negativity. 

Yeah I imagine a good % of the negativity is just haters coming in who dont own him. I've never been worried about him at all. Baseball is a long season plenty of time for him to get into that top 10 of hitters still. 

On pace for like 23 hrs after hitting 32 last year . Also his average is down about 70 points . Amazing how many people here and other places were saying he was better than Trout. Meanwhile Mike Trout just keeps on doing what he does. Being the best player in baseball.

6 minutes ago, motown magic said:

On pace for like 23 hrs after hitting 32 last year . Also his average is down about 70 points . Amazing how many people here and other places were saying he was better than Trout. Meanwhile Mike Trout just keeps on doing what he does. Being the best player in baseball.

I’ve never seen one person ever suggest he was better than Trout. People say this in the Bryce thread too, and it’s just not true. Unless you have some type of evidence somewhere?

There were people who suggested drafting him first for fantasy purposes (which is a different topic). And next year, you’ll hear the same thing about Yelich. I’d probably continue to take Trout because of the insane floor, but it’s not a ridiculous discussion.

• Like 1

Guy goes in to a job interview, Senior Accountant at a big accounting firm.  He prepared all night for the interview the previous night. His Strengths, his Work Experience. Sits down with the Senior Partners.  Partners have but 1 question:

"what's 2 +2"

The Candidate answers "4" ..he is given a handshake and is immediately dismissed.

Second Candidate later that day..Sits down..given 1 question:

"what's 2 +2"

The Candidate answers "4" ..he is given a handshake and is immediately dismissed.

Third Candidate comes in.  Has no MBA from Harvard.  Has no past work experience.  Just a lot of real life skills.

Asked the same question

"what's 2 +2"

He responds: "what do you want it to be"?

He is immediately rewarded the job and given a 6 figure salary.

Stop trying to Sugar Coat Mookie Betts.  I don't care what Fantrax, Rotoworld or what ever Sabermetric nonsense says.  He's having an awful year. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

Everyone in this thread is screaming sell but I'm afraid to do so

Might as well hold on now..you wont get value for him.

4 hours ago, Kramjam24 said:

Everyone in this thread is screaming sell but I'm afraid to do so

We must be looking at different threads. I see a lot of people rightfully disappointed, but ultimately I think most of us realize he's still been a solid asset with the potential to erupt. While I'm always open to selling any player if the price is right, I'm not really looking to move on from Mookie.

• Like 1

Tough crowd.  In my league format, he has the 7th most overall points (just ahead of Arenado).  

1 hour ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Tough crowd.  In my league format, he has the 7th most overall points (just ahead of Arenado).  

Ranking doesn't always necessarily tell the story of a player's value. The runs and OBP are nice but the low average and lack of stolen bases and power has been killer for most owners. Considering the year he had last year he's been a huge disappointment. 

On 7/9/2019 at 11:17 PM, AnonymousRob said:

I see a lot of people rightfully disappointed

Except it's not rightful, because his performance so far has been in line with realistic ADP expectations. He's ranked 6th of 11 1st round Yahoo! bats. 

3 minutes ago, FoulPole said:

Ranking doesn't always necessarily tell the story of a player's value. The runs and OBP are nice but the low average and lack of stolen bases and power has been killer for most owners. Considering the year he had last year he's been a huge disappointment. 

Low average? Lack of stolen bases?

If you took this dude #2 overall and his .275 average, 11 steals and Top 40 performance has been a "killer" for you, you've got bigger problems than owning Mookie Betts.

3 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Low average? Lack of stolen bases?

If you took this dude #2 overall and his .275 average, 11 steals and Top 40 performance has been a "killer" for you, you've got bigger problems than owning Mookie Betts.

He's on pace for like 19/16 and he's hitting less than .275. If you don't see that as a disappointment for a first round pick you must be used to drafting duds that early lol.

3 minutes ago, FoulPole said:

He's on pace for like 19/16 and he's hitting less than .275. If you don't see that as a disappointment for a first round pick you must be used to drafting duds that early lol.

Your expectations are completely unrealistic, as I've already outlined multiple times in this thread. If you draft a dude #2 and expect him to finish #2, you simply don't get it.

1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

Your expectations are completely unrealistic, as I've already outlined multiple times in this thread. If you draft a dude #2 and expect him to finish #2, you simply don't get it.

Who says I expected him to finish #2? It isn't unrealistic to expect the reigning MVP to have a good year. ~.290 30/20 isn't unrealistic and might not be #2 overall but it's waaaaay better than what he's producing now and I think most people would have been happy with that. If your league doesn't count walks or OBP he's been a complete bust, especially when you consider how many mediocre players are on pace for 30-40 homers this year. You simply don't get it if you think 20/15 .275 is worth a first round pick.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Your expectations are completely unrealistic, as I've already outlined multiple times in this thread.

Just now, miasma16 said:

Your expectations are too low imo and that's fine that's your business. Im in 4th place out of 12 in the league in which I own Betts so he hasn't destroyed my season but you're simply not being honest if you can't acknowledge he's been a disappointment. He's putting up Brandon Phillips numbers lol.

2 minutes ago, FoulPole said:

Your expectations are too low imo and that's fine that's your business. Im in 4th place out of 12 in the league in which I own Betts so he hasn't destroyed my season but you're simply not being honest if you can't acknowledge he's been a disappointment. He's putting up Brandon Phillips numbers lol.

You seem like you'd be whining about all but 3 guys that went in the first round in a 12-teamer. If you don't get why that's nonsensical, again, don't know what to tell you.