Sign in to follow this  
CrypTviLL

Alex Verdugo 2019 Outlook

Let's assume that Alex Verdugo is a starter and is batting leadoff for the Dodgers this year.

Is there any value here in any sort of standard league? 

If that's the case he'd be a good bet for a solid average and runs scored, but not a lot else. The reality is that Joc is in the way making Verdugo undraftable in all buy the deepest of leagues.

3 hours ago, Homerj24 said:

If that's the case he'd be a good bet for a solid average and runs scored, but not a lot else. The reality is that Joc is in the way making Verdugo undraftable in all buy the deepest of leagues.

Why is Joc so awesome? He isn't Trout here. He is a guy with some power, but not much else. Verdugo could take that spot. Maybe he will. Eventually Joc's .228 career BA and 30% K rate will allow Verdugo a chance to shine. 

1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

Why is Joc so awesome? He isn't Trout here. He is a guy with some power, but not much else. Verdugo could take that spot. Maybe he will. Eventually Joc's .228 career BA and 30% K rate will allow Verdugo a chance to shine. 

I don't think anybody would argue that Joc is awesome or that he really should be starting over Verdugo.  It's a matter of what Dave Roberts and the team does rather than what is honestly the best move.

1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

I don't think anybody would argue that Joc is awesome or that he really should be starting over Verdugo.  It's a matter of what Dave Roberts and the team does rather than what is honestly the best move.

Yep, great point Killo. 

1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

Joc Pederson from 2016-2018 has had 908 AB's vs RHP's with a .252 avg, .351 OBP, .872 OPS. He mashes RHP's to a well above league average mark. That's what's blocking Verdugo. The Dodgers know they can leadoff Pederson vs RHP's and he's both getting on base and hitting for extra base hits with very high OPS. 

• Like 2

So to piggy back on this thread .............

Who would you rather stash Austin Riley or Verdugo ???

Made the team, but not sure how many at bats he’s going to get.  Do we think the dodgers will rotate their OF enough for him to get 400 AB?  

1 hour ago, cpdaly said:

Made the team, but not sure how many at bats he’s going to get.  Do we think the dodgers will rotate their OF enough for him to get 400 AB?  

I doubt it. Needs an injury or one of the lefty bats to struggle (Pederson, Muncy, Bellinger). 

I think he'll get more playing time than people think. May start off as a platoon, but with both Kemp and Puig gone, I think Verdugo will be a mainstay in that outfield sooner rather than later.

If Kiki is the 2B. Chris Taylor is priority 4th OF. Injury to an OF (throw my money on Pollock) will need to happen likely. Unless he's white hot when they give him chances and earn more PT.

Any chance he gets more starts, seems unlikely but he is off to a great start this year.

3 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

Any chance he gets more starts, seems unlikely but he is off to a great start this year.

Might have to wait for an injury to hit the Dodgers for more PT to open up

he makes for an awfully tempting stash/plug and play right now...

• Like 1

This kid is a pure hitter. Despite "not starting" he has gotten some run and is showing his considerable upside. It will be limited, unless an injury opens up a spot and with Pollock on the lineup (AJP is a great player mind you) an injury is always possible. 

Eye test= passed,

w flying colors...namely Dodger Blue

Joc trade would be ideal

Keeper and dynasty I'd say scoop now...

The kid is electric...

Just now, dfstout said:

Eye test= passed,

w flying colors...namely Dodger Blue

Joc trade would be ideal

Keeper and dynasty I'd say scoop now...

The kid is electric...

Totally agree, but what the heck do the Dodgers actually need? They look awesome early in season. Doubt they move Joc, given AJ's history injury. Having Verdugo protects against injury. As a Verdugo owner I am with you, make a trade and unleash him, but Dodgers are trying to win and maybe having four great outfielders is a "nice problem to have" in terms of winning the pennant, as opposed to helping our fantasy teams. LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Totally agree, but what the heck do the Dodgers actually need? They look awesome early in season. Doubt they move Joc, given AJ's history injury. Having Verdugo protects against injury. As a Verdugo owner I am with you, make a trade and unleash him, but Dodgers are trying to win and maybe having four great outfielders is a "nice problem to have" in terms of winning the pennant, as opposed to helping our fantasy teams. LOL 

Hey thats what my Red Sox did last year! But a DH solves allll those problems...and unfortunately that aint happening anytime soon in the NL...

Electric is an understatement. This kid needs to play EVERY day.

Good luck telling Roberts that.

So now that he is on a little run of starting he decides to not hit, great, I'm out

2 minutes ago, Hatfieldodger said:

Everyone wants the new shiny toy

Ha!

So about to drop him but decided to check out next weeks schedule first

All in awesome hitting parks (CIN,MIL) and the LAD face 7 rights, could this be the week where he flashes?

4 minutes ago, RolandoRoomes said:

Ha!

So about to drop him but decided to check out next weeks schedule first

All in awesome hitting parks (CIN,MIL) and the LAD face 7 rights, could this be the week where he flashes?

Good move. I hope it pays off you and the kid. He usually makes the most of his pt and in those parks you could be rewarded nicely.

32 minutes ago, rotoguy74 said:

So now that he is on a little run of starting he decides to not hit, great, I'm out

He's hitting his way to the bench. 😣Gonna try to hold out a little longer but he is blowing his chance for more PT