Sign in to follow this  
CrypTviLL

Alex Verdugo 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

I know it seems that Joc Pederson is like a son to Dave Roberts, but they need to find a way to get Verdugo into the lineup everyday instead of every other day.  The great batting average was expected, but he's even hitting for a bit of power so far this season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This kid is a legit pro hitter. Even in a crowded Dodgers lineup, I have to give Roberts credit for getting him in there where he can. Joc has actually played very well so far so no reason to bench him. Yes, as an AV owner I'd love someone to flame out and my guy get the call, but I also know the why of the situation and I am just thankful Verdugo is getting the PAs he IS getting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, lavaman said:

legit shot at ROY

I could be wrong, but hasn't he played too many games over the previous two seasons to qualify?  That and players like Victor Robles and Pete Alonso play everyday and will likely finish with good numbers.

Regardless, it is looking like Verdugo is ready for an everyday role if he could ever get one.

30 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

This kid is a legit pro hitter. Even in a crowded Dodgers lineup, I have to give Roberts credit for getting him in there where he can. Joc has actually played very well so far so no reason to bench him. Yes, as an AV owner I'd love someone to flame out and my guy get the call, but I also know the why of the situation and I am just thankful Verdugo is getting the PAs he IS getting. 

True about Joc so far, so I will change things a bit... They would have to be willing to play Muncy at 2B everyday, but there is a player that really doesn't deserve to be part of what is standing in the way of Verdugo getting everyday playing time....  Chris Taylor.  After a very solid 2017 season, he was decent last season, but still clearly regressed.  Playing Taylor off and on this season is clearly not working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KilloWertz said:

 

True about Joc so far, so I will change things a bit... They would have to be willing to play Muncy at 2B everyday, but there is a player that really doesn't deserve to be part of what is standing in the way of Verdugo getting everyday playing time....  Chris Taylor.  After a very solid 2017 season, he was decent last season, but still clearly regressed.  Playing Taylor off and on this season is clearly not working.

 

Actually thought about this today when I was watching the game. I suspect as Verdugo forces Dave's hand more and more he'll look at creative options to get him into the lineup and this suggestion of yours is very plausible. Sometimes the bats just gotta play. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

 

Actually thought about this today when I was watching the game. I suspect as Verdugo forces Dave's hand more and more he'll look at creative options to get him into the lineup and this suggestion of yours is very plausible. Sometimes the bats just gotta play. 

 

I know Milwaukee agrees with that.  Maybe someday Dave and the Dodgers will too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much growth is there here?  He's already established that he's going to hit for a very good batting average but I am not certain there's a lot more to make him 12 team viable if other attributes don't improve as well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A tough thing about owning Verdugo esp in daily leagues is the fact start times are late and you don't know whether he's in the lineup or not by the time other games have started.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Interestingly, he hasn't walked once so far this year. Can't blame him for wanting to swing when Roberts benches him every other day lol

Edited by loro1991

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

Interestingly, he hasn't walked once so far this year. Can't blame him for wanting to swing when Roberts benches him every other day lol

He always displayed good plate discipline throughout the minors, with a good K/BB ratio...I wouldn't be concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pduce242424 said:

He always displayed good plate discipline throughout the minors, with a good K/BB ratio...I wouldn't be concerned.

 

Not in the starting lineup tonight. Bummer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

batted 3/4 tonight with 3 ribbies. his average now stands at .375. Dave Roberts has to increase his playing time after this solid outing once again.

Edited by The_Real_Deal
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

it’s just a matter of time until Pollock gets hurt.  

Edited by cpdaly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, street sharks said:

Dunno how he's going to get more playing time with Pollock, Belli, Joc/Taylor in the outfield

Since Pollack is struggling he should eat into his PT.  If pollock goes down, methinks Verdugo is a top 20-25 OF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JetsAwesome said:

Since Pollack is struggling he should eat into his PT.  If pollock goes down, methinks Verdugo is a top 20-25 OF.

The only way Verdugo's playing time improves because of Pollock is the latter.  They brought in Pollock for a reason, and it's not to sit the bench.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Verdugo=Insurance

 

It's a good 'problem' to have in that crowded outfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eloy who? This guy has too much upside to be left on the wire, even with his playtime as is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the upside, but he’s been out of the lineup 50% of the time over the course of his last 10 games.  This makes him tough to roster even in deep leagues.  Does anyone see anything on the horizon that will permit him to be playing more in the very near future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 run Johnson off the bench tonight. 

 

Shame they can’t find him more ABs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's assume Verdugo were to get a full 550+ AB's for a regular season.  What would his stat-line look like assuming he was an everyday starter?  I didn't think he'd be a 20+ HR hitter, but I may have underestimated his pop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My PERSONAL estimate .... 298 AVG 75RBI 80R 19HR 7SB

 

hows that look? Feel free to pick it apart.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cizastro said:

Let's assume Verdugo were to get a full 550+ AB's for a regular season.  What would his stat-line look like assuming he was an everyday starter?  I didn't think he'd be a 20+ HR hitter, but I may have underestimated his pop. 

I don’t see any path to 550 at bats barring massive injuries.  I’d probably cap him at 450 and say he should hit 17-20 in that many at bats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bjvance5 said:

My PERSONAL estimate .... 298 AVG 75RBI 80R 19HR 7SB

 

hows that look? Feel free to pick it apart.

 

Seems like a safe steamer-ish projection. I also think the HR total could be higher, but yours is a safe bet. 

 

After looking, steamer600(assuming 600 PA's) has him at .270/15/68/66/7 but they are notoriously pessimistic. With his OBP track record, I would imagine he'd get those 600 PA's in a spot that would lead to more than 68/66. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.