Sign in to follow this  
smeeze

Domingo German 2019 Outlook

Solid start yesterday besides the walks issued, got the Ks and lots of swings and misses. I'm also not particularly worried about the walks either, seems like his control is respectable in larger sample sizes.

Any lineup that’s not the tigers or giants would punish a pitcher for 5 walks. Is there upside potential? Yes. Is this guy reliable at all? I don’t think so. I watched his start yesterday and was thinking he is a guy that box score warriors will want to add, and THEN realize his control issues

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, loro1991 said:

Any lineup that’s not the tigers or giants would punish a pitcher for 5 walks. Is there upside potential? Yes. Is this guy reliable at all? I don’t think so. I watched his start yesterday and was thinking he is a guy that box score warriors will want to add, and THEN realize his control issues

Tigers were very patient.  vs some more aggressive hitters he might've had less walks and more strikeouts.  Pretty impressive with 5 walks that he was able to go as deep into the game as he did.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

Tigers were very patient.  vs some more aggressive hitters he might've had less walks and more strikeouts.  Pretty impressive with 5 walks that he was able to go as deep into the game as he did.

The Tigers may be patient, but that's about their only good attribute offensively. The 1-hit part of the equation may be tough to repeat against a better lineup.

Fortunately Baltimore's up next and they're terrible too, so he has some time to figure it out.

1 hour ago, Ace_King said:

Chances he sticks in the rotation?

Nearly 100%.

Tanaka

Paxton

Happ

German
CC

Their rotation isn't setup that way but that will be their 5 starters.  Severino they'll be very careful with and evaluate when the time comes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

Nearly 100%.

Tanaka

Paxton

Happ

German
CC

Their rotation isn't setup that way but that will be their 5 starters.  Severino they'll be very careful with and evaluate when the time comes.

I think you give too much credit to a start vs the O's and Tigers (where he walked 5).  His command is suspect and while he certainly will stick while Severino is out, when he returns, German is likely headed to the pen unless there is another injury to someone or Sabathia is stinking the joint up.  Plus Gio Goonzalez is still around (though stinking up the joint in the minors),  The situation is very fluid imo unless German just is lights out in the next few weeks.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

I think you give too much credit to a start vs the O's and Tigers (where he walked 5).  His command is suspect and while he certainly will stick while Severino is out, when he returns, German is likely headed to the pen unless there is another injury to someone or Sabathia is stinking the joint up.  Plus Gio Goonzalez is still around (though stinking up the joint in the minors),  The situation is very fluid imo unless German just is lights out in the next few weeks.

Not quite.  German has always had great stuff with enormous potential.  His Whiff% is elite.  Gio Gonzalez is a non-factor and not even cloee to the equation  Severino is nowhere close to being back and out until AT LEAST May.

3 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Not quite.  German has always had great stuff with enormous potential.  His Whiff% is elite.  Gio Gonzalez is a non-factor and not even cloee to the equation  Severino is nowhere close to being back and out until AT LEAST May.

Potential...Every top prospect has potential.  Same old story heard from every supposed Yankee top pitching prospect over the past 24 years from Kennedy to Hughes to Chamberlan to Wang, etc.  Not including Severino since the book on his is still open\he has not pitched long enough, but the number of Yankee pitching prospects that have developed into ace starters since 1995 and Andy Pettitte???...Answer 0.  Not saying German will or will not be good, but his command right now is not great and that is not going to yield tremendous results over the long haul of this season imo.  Young pitchers can be erratic.  And May is only 3 weeks away (4-5 starts).  Maybe Severino takes longer to get back, but assuming he is ready in early May, German is not going to get more than a handful of starts unless someone else gets hurt or Sabathia blows up.

3 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Potential...Every top prospect has potential.  Same old story heard from every supposed Yankee top pitching prospect over the past 24 years from Kennedy to Hughes to Chamberlan to Wang, etc.  Not including Severino since the book on his is still open\he has not pitched long enough, but the number of Yankee pitching prospects that have developed into ace starters since 1995 and Andy Pettitte???...Answer 0.  Not saying German will or will not be good, but his command right now is not great and that is not going to yield tremendous results over the long haul of this season imo.  Young pitchers can be erratic.  And May is only 3 weeks away (4-5 starts).  Maybe Severino takes longer to get back, but assuming he is ready in early May, German is not going to get more than a handful of starts unless someone else gets hurt or Sabathia blows up.

Yea because Chien-Ming Wang wasn't a top starter or anything.  Not like he had a year where he finished 2nd in Cy Young voting or anything....  And I couldn't care less what happened in 95, 01, 08, Andy Pettitte, Phil Hughes, or whatever else you're talking about.  This is about 2019 and Domingo German.   He aso doesn't need to be an "ace starter" to stick in the rotation. smdh

2 minutes ago, David Aames said:

can anyone see CC beating out German for the 5th spot? Hard to imagine

Very hard to imagine.. And as of right now, German will be the #4 starter and CC the #5.  Severino is out until at least May as I already mentioned.  Anyone that made up their mind that German will be taken out of the rotation in early May for Sevy, they don't have much of a clue.

2 minutes ago, brooklynfinest42 said:

anyone know if Domingo is starting this weekend vs Chisox?

He's not.

Happ-Sabathia-Tanaka. 

18 minutes ago, absknicks said:

He's not.

Happ-Sabathia-Tanaka. 

When was this announced?

I'd be a bit surprised and wouldn't be a fan of that decision. Tanaka and German have been the only good starters.  To give German that long of a layoff and then have him face Boston doesn't make a ton of sense, espcially when Tanaka is better on more rest.

3 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

When was this announced?

I'd be a bit surprised and wouldn't be a fan of that decision. Tanaka and German have been the only good starters.  To give German that long of a layoff and then have him face Boston doesn't make a ton of sense, espcially when Tanaka is better on more rest.

yeah i dont get it either..  i picked him up and noticed tonight is probable sign was gone

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, brooklynfinest42 said:

yeah i dont get it either..  i picked him up and noticed tonight is probable sign was gone

Well then, to the scrap heap for this guy. I'm not f'n around with this nonsense when there are real starters on the wire. 

Edited by ComeSaleAway

With Severino out until July or who knows when, he is going to get his chance in the rotation. I still think he is going to be a guy who has 1 great start, 1 shaky start, and 1 terrible start and his ratios other than K's won't look great. But if you play the matchups right like the first two starts he will be very useful. 

• Like 1

Great start tonight - I saw (most of) it. 6IP 9K 3ER 0BBs 2 HRs 6 baserunners.

I was pretty shocked early on with the longballs; he was down 3-1 in the 4th after HRs by Soler (2nd) and artist formerly known as "O'Hearn" (1st AB of 3rd). 

That was the extent of the damage as he went 3 strong without further incident. 

Naturally the Yankee offense was mesmerized by "Homer Bailey" and his fellow savants in that stellar Royal Pen.

In any event - looking forward to German's start @ LAA - starting without doubt there.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lightning Bat said:

Another solid outing

hes turning into an SP2. has 3 plus pitches.

German is 12 overall on the player rater in my league... 🤑