Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

No longer the offseason boys. The season has begun. Hunter Strickland locked down the save yesterday and looked like an ace closer, like we all expected, and we’re on our way!

Sorry I couldn’t just quote, but @kidtwentytwo shared a great link which I thought would be perfect for page 1 of the inseason closer thread. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/closers-for-every-mlb-team

Kimbrel to the Brewers? Who’s the first to lose their gig? 

spacer.png

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Who’s the first to lose their gig? 

Cody Allen

Likely the current closer of the team that signs Kimbrel.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

interesting thought. but wouldn't Kimbrel need a "spring training" to get ready? when would he be expected to close games for Milwaukee in the regular season? right away or maybe 2 to 3 weeks?

8 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Bingo.

3 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

interesting thought. but wouldn't Kimbrel need a "spring training" to get ready? when would he be expected to close games for Milwaukee in the regular season? right away or maybe 2 to 3 weeks?

Yeah, I would think he'd need some ramp-up time. You can throw all you want at some complex, but it still doesn't compare to facing live hitters. But I can't imagine him signing anywhere without assurance that he's closing.

^Which adds a lot of fantasy value to the closers that will have sole ownership of save situations. 

9th inning mentality is fiction in a way.  I mean sure it's the opposition's last chance, but the bases are empty as well.  The fireman who comes in with runners on in the 7th or 8th is more valuable and mentally strong.

Closers were more a thing when starters would go 8-9 regularly. Now we have friggin openers, and starters going six is a good start for them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Hunter Strickland locked down the save yesterday and looked like an ace closer, like we all expected.

https://www.mlb.com/news/closers-for-every-mlb-team

spacer.png

I don't many expect Hunter to be ace like

Shawn Amstrong or Anthony Swarzek lurk

Hunters velocity was down last year and his K/9 has been declining

6 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

I don't many expect Hunter to be ace like

Shawn Amstrong or Anthony Swarzek lurk

Hunters velocity was down last year and his K/9 has been declining

‘Twas a joke my friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here are a couple uncertain situations considered as toss-ups as of today that I'm following. 

BOS - Barnes or Brasier? I think this is a toss up. I've thought for a while now that it would be Brasier but after someone posted how similar Barnes's numbers were to Kimbrel last year I began to think it might be his job to begin the year. 

KC - Peralta or Boxberger? I think k it's Peralta who gets the first shot at it since Box has been terrible and Peralta has been good this far. 

MIN - May or Parker? Most think May gets it but if I'm not mistaken it's an open competition and nobody has been named. Parker has the experience but May has better stuff. Then there's Rogers who I think has the best stuff in the pen. 

SF - Some think Smith some think Melancon. I'm a Smith believer mainly because Melancon's arm is done. 

MIA - Steckenrider or Romo. I think it's Steckenrider to begin but I expect a short leash and wouldn't be surprised if Romo takes it based on experience. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Here are a couple uncertain situations considered as toss-ups as of today that I'm following. 

BOS - Barnes or Brasier? I think this is a toss up. I've thought for a while now that it would be Brasier but after someone posted how similar Barnes's numbers were to Kimbrel last year I began to think it might be his job to begin the year. 

KC - Peralta or Boxberger? I think k it's Peralta who gets the first shot at it since Box has been terrible and Peralta has been good this far. 

MIN - May or Parker? Most think May gets it but if I'm not mistaken it's an open competition and nobody has been named. Parker has the experience but May has better stuff. Then there's Rogers who I think has the best stuff in the pen. 

SF - Some think Smith some think Melancon. I'm a Smith believer mainly because Melancon's arm is done. 

MIA - Steckenrider or Romo. I think it's Steckenrider to begin but I expect a short leash and wouldn't be surprised if Romo takes it based on experience. 

Regarding Miami, a couple of fantasy related tweets by one of their beat writers today:

I know the #Marlins will play matchup in how they handle their closer role. But I definitely took notice that Sergio Romo handled the ninth today. Something to pay attention to, fantasy players.

Adam Conley, by the way, was 97-98 today, and lights out. Not messing around, on the attack, and turning heads to those paying attention to impact lefty bullpen relievers. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Giles

I think Giles will have quite a bit of leash even though he's bound to be a rollercoaster. Performance-wise, Melancon would be my first choice to lose the job if he wins it. He's toast. Second choice would be Allen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

I think Giles will have quite a bit of leash even though he's bound to be a rollercoaster. Performance-wise, Melancon would be my first choice to lose the job if he wins it. He's toast. Second choice would be Allen.

My money is on Doolittle. Guy never stays healthy.

• Like 1

I’ll take Shane Greene and his 8.6 and 8.4% swinging strike rate over the last 2 years. Joey Jimenez will be the guy to own before April is over.

• Like 2

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The competition for the D-backs' closer role, between Archie Bradley, Greg Holland and Yoshihisa Hirano, will continue through the final week of Cactus League play.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, weakkneeswilly said:

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The competition for the D-backs' closer role, between Archie Bradley, Greg Holland and Yoshihisa Hirano, will continue through the final week of Cactus League play.

Why is Greg Holland still a thing?

• Thanks 2

Besides this lovely resource for closer news, are there are new sources anyone is aware of or would like to share for this season?

Also wondering if Closer Monkey is toast. No update on their site or Twitter account since around March 2nd.

Adam McCalv of MLB.com confirms Corey Knebel has "taken a break" from throwing.
Knebel hasn't thrown in a few days due to an undisclosed issue, though the right-hander insists he isn't in any pain. With Jeremy Jeffress (shoulder) also on the shelf, Milwaukee's star-studded bullpen is quickly unraveling. Knebel's absence could be a factor in the Brewers' recent flirtation with former Red Sox closer Craig Kimbrel. Though the Brewers prefer to use him in a setup role, All-Star left-hander Josh Hader would likely be tasked with holding down the ninth inning should Knebel begin his 2019 campaign on the disabled list.

SOURCE: Adam McCalvy on Twitter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chud12 said:

Adam McCalv of MLB.com confirms Corey Knebel has "taken a break" from throwing.
Knebel hasn't thrown in a few days due to an undisclosed issue, though the right-hander insists he isn't in any pain. With Jeremy Jeffress (shoulder) also on the shelf, Milwaukee's star-studded bullpen is quickly unraveling. Knebel's absence could be a factor in the Brewers' recent flirtation with former Red Sox closer Craig Kimbrel. Though the Brewers prefer to use him in a setup role, All-Star left-hander Josh Hader would likely be tasked with holding down the ninth inning should Knebel begin his 2019 campaign on the disabled list.

SOURCE: Adam McCalvy on Twitter

So that is why Milwaukee has shown sudden interest in Kimbrel.  Knebel not throwing for a few days says the organization knew they had a problem right away with him.

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

So that is why Milwaukee has shown sudden interest in Kimbrel.  Knebel not throwing for a few days says the organization knew they had a problem right away with him.

naked gun pun GIF

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah that is kinda problematic with Knebel...the timing of it and being that his job is to throw and all...

They need to make that splash now with Kimbrel...

What's everyone's thoughts on the Bradley, Holland, Yoshihisa Hirano situation?   Hirano has definitely looked the best this spring, but still feel like they give Bradley the first crack...Just my gut though, anyone have any insights?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1