Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

For anyone still wondering who the Royals closer is.  Stop wondering and let someone else in your league have their ratios get fist f***** on the reg.  All these guys blow chunks.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yost doing Yost things. Peralta puts first two on but then gets the Sox best hitter in Abreu to pop out weakly on 2 pitches. You’re up 5-0 still, why not let him close it out? Worse case it’s 5-3, then pull him if you want. Yost being Yost. 

• Like 1

I'm guessing it's Box. He's the vet and everyone else pooped themselves tonight.

KC pen looking to be a dumpster fire that's for sure, hard to make much sense of anything based on usage today.  Box did get the job done though so would assume he gets the next chance.

1 minute ago, fletch44 said:

I'm guessing it's Box. He's the vet and everyone else pooped themselves tonight.

But he’s terrible and will lose the job at some point 

• Like 1

Classic example of analytics going too far. The ninth inning is the ninth inning for a reason. Just pick one guy and build up his confidence ffs.

4 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

But he’s terrible and will lose the job at some point 

He’s really not terrible - he had a rough stretch last year in Arizona which inflated his ratios but he’s been solid for years

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ian Kennedy looked good in the eighth. Haven’t seen anything, but if it’s a dumpster fire, I could see him getting a chance at some point. Sometimes guys like him find new life in the pen. 

Edited by bluefrogguy

Me too.  Fantasy guys complaining about manager bullpen usage is the best stuff going on these pages...

• Like 2

I all honesty what’s the mood in Minnesota?  Can anyone with knowledge speak on the usage tonight? And is Rodgers a legitimate dark horse to run with this job?

3 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

I all honesty what’s the mood in Minnesota?  Can anyone with knowledge speak on the usage tonight? And is Rodgers a legitimate dark horse to run with this job?

Don’t know but he sure looked sharp in that 1.1 inning 

28 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

The Indians had a bunch of lefties coming up, they will likely play matchups.  Rogers if a bunch of lefties are due up. May or Parker if righties are due up.  

18 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

The Twins have already stated they will go with match-ups but anyone who gets a solid save is going to be someone the manager remembers for the next time.   Can he run with the job?  It's always possible but one save should not be something that changes a managers mind if he has a committee concept going.  I think most likely Rodgers' save today probably reinforces the managers' belief that matchups will work best.  I believe that makes sense for a growing number of teams as well.    Challenge for us to deal with it and figure things out...    

Boxberger worth a pickup?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

For anyone still wondering who the Royals closer is.  Stop wondering and let someone else in your league have their ratios get fist f***** on the reg.  All these guys blow chunks.  

Even in blood-for-saves leagues I want no part of this pen, the Orioles pen or the Marlins pen. 

9 minutes ago, jseay65 said:

Even in blood-for-saves leagues I want no part of this pen, the Orioles pen or the Marlins pen. 

I won't touch the Orioles or the Royals (although someone might surprise there) right now but the Malins pen is going to be alright IMO.  Pitching in that division I can see better numbers from Romo (leaving the AL East) and Conley...

• Like 1

I’m keeping my eye on Zimmer in KC. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

By Bobby Sylvester (FantasyPros)Friday, Mar 1st

“May and Parker are seemingly in a batter at the top of Minnesota's depth chart, but Rogers is the type of guy who could find himself in the role at some point, and if it were to happen, he would dominate.”

take now,ask,questions later.  There’s always a few elite closers that come out of nowhere.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/taylor-rogers-coming-off-breakout-season-c302334308.html

Sorry if this was already posted.  We already knew it either way but good to hear still.

14 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I’m keeping my eye on Zimmer in KC. 

Only thing in KC I’m keeping my eye on is the BBQ and Patrick Mahomes.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

Reds manager, what is you doing?

13 hours ago, swfcdan said:

If Iggy's coming in the 8th then he aint gonna be nearly the undisputed closer people were hoping.

You both do know that the Reds officially announced this spring that Iglesias was going to become their main fireman this year with maybe some occasional chances to close.  He never was the "undisputed closer" since that announcement in very early March was it.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

You both do know that the Reds officially announced this spring that Iglesias was going to become their main fireman this year with some occasional chances to close.

If that’s the case who is the time share with?

3 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

If that’s the case who is the time share with?

Everybody as in match-ups.  The Age of the Closer is dying quickly.  Last night on ESPN's Seattle-Boston broadcast they were saying that at least 13 teams this season don't have "THE closer" in place anymore.

• Like 1

On his twitter account Tao said Rogers "looks to be a potential lite-Josh Hader. Or just this year's version of Josh Hader."  Think I'm gonna grab him and see how things shake out over a few weeks (or at least until a better potential closer option pops up).  Like like 200 IP starting pitchers, everyday consistent closers are becoming rarer.  Outside the shallower leagues people are going to have to deal with committees in order to stay competitive. Most of us could do worse than gamble on high K/good ratio guy like Rogers.

• Like 1