Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

If Josh Hader somehow became the “closer,” where would you draft him? I’m thinking 60ish.

Posted (edited)

What do people think about the Cubs situation?  I drafted Carl Edwards Jr. with like my very last pick of the draft  I think he has a chance to be closer but they might go with a "closer by committee"

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Adam Conley will be closing games sooner than later.  His stuff is going to play dirty in the pen.  He looks primed for a huge breakout.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

What do people think about the Cubs situation?  I drafted Carl Edwards Jr. with like my very last pick of the draft  I think he has a chance to be closer but they might go with a "closer by committee"

Gonna be Strop if he's ready to go until Morrow gets back from injury.  

7 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Adam Conley will be closing games sooner than later.  His stuff is going to play dirty in the pen.  He looks primed for a huge breakout.  

picked up conley and romo...monitering the situation closely myself in a "save hungry" league....could see it being a commitee for sure, but hopefully conleys ratios and high k/rate are solid

8 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I don't think it'll be Edwards, nor do I believe it will it be a committee. If Strop is gtg by the start of the season, he'll be the guy. When Morrow returns, he'll be the guy. Now if Strop isn't ready for OD, then they may go CEJ or a committee until he is ready. 

• Thanks 1

Are steckenrider, Brasier or Romo worth picking up? 

11 minutes ago, mi26 said:

Are steckenrider, Brasier or Romo worth picking up? 

Depends. Might wanna take this over to the BC forum though.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Committee is likely, but I see Cishek as the dark horse for the lions share of saves early on in the season.

• Like 1

I double dipped on Strop/Morrow in my draft yesterday. Using up 2 spots is annoying but if you find yourself behind on closers it seemed like a solid pairing late in the draft.  Hoping I can slide Morrow to the IL at some point. 

Hunter Strickland on pace for 162 saves.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

who would have a better season ... Strickland or Alvarado?

12 minutes ago, checkers said:

who would have a better season ... Strickland or Alvarado?

I think Alvarado has a little more risk due to the way TB has handled their bullpen the last couple years particularly last season. That being said I still like him more than Strickland.

• Thanks 1

Brewers skipper Craig Counsell admitted Thursday that Corey Knebel is dealing with an UCL issue and will get a second opinion.

Counsell elaborated, noting that it wasn't a complete tear of his UCL and that he has pitched with the injury for awhile, so Tommy John surgery is not a foregone conclusion here. Still, it remains a possibility. We'll wait and see what the second opinion holds, but the Brewers' interest in Craig Kimbrel seemingly makes much more sense now.

Barnes with a clean 3k outing. Big for him if they weren’t settled on him getting dibs on the role in April. 

Brewers should trade for Romo now lol 

RIP Knebel. He Gawn.

Gotta think they are going to end up with Kimbrel. 

Pick up Jeffress if you haven't already. Might as well since he won't waste a spot on your roster being on the DL

is there any hope for Brasier at this point?

Barnes has been up and Down but he had. Good outing today. Brasier hasn’t pitched since his debut about 5 days ago. Does anyone know why?

22 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

is there any hope for Brasier at this point?

Barnes has been up and Down but he had. Good outing today. Brasier hasn’t pitched since his debut about 5 days ago. Does anyone know why?

FYI that is from a Providence Journal writer I follow on Twitter. I believe they said Wednesday the plan was for Brasier to pitch Friday, so just a work management thing. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rh3l22 said:

FYI that is from a Providence Journal writer I follow on Twitter. I believe they said Wednesday the plan was for Brasier to pitch Friday, so just a work management thing. 

Thanks for the update. It’s just been a little while but I know he just debuted recently. 

Anyone following White Sox situation? Does Herrera still have a shot or is it Colombe to start the year?