Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

Gearrin was unavailable today.

8 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Gearrin was unavailable today.

Posted (edited)

(Cough) When it looked like the Red Sox might come back and tie or go ahead in the 9th who was up warming?  Brasier.  (Cough).  It is going to be a committee of two for now for the Sox.

And God even as a a Red Sox fan I felt really bad for that kid Moore at 3B for Seattle.  Three straight errors in a row.  He looked like he just wanted to curl up into fetal position by the end.  That was brutal.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

13 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

(Cough) When it looked like the Red Sox might come back and tie or go ahead in the 9th who was up warming?  Brasier.  (Cough).  It is going to be a committee of two for now for the Sox.

And God even as a a Red Sox fan I felt really bad for that kid Moore at 3B for Seattle.  Three straight errors in a row.  He looked like he just wanted to curl up into fetal position by the end.  That was brutal.

So you like Brasier? 

1 minute ago, Minnesota_Jack said:

So you like Brasier? 

LOL, I think I am getting a reputation here.  If Brasier flops I will have to walk the plank but that isn't until September.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

LOL, I think I am getting a reputation here.  If Brasier flops I will have to walk the plank but that isn't until September.

On the same wood plank. Was willing to wait 10 rounds after Barnes for the guy every draft. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, absknicks said:

Gearrin was unavailable today

He ain't got no mound presence. 🤒

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Royals manager Ned Yost said after Saturday's game that he likes both Ian Kennedy and Wily Peralta as late-inning relief options.

The skipper had both relievers warming up Saturday and went with Kennedy to preserve a two-run lead, which he did to notch his first career save. "I like them both," Yost said. "I’ve got Wily for tomorrow if I need it. I like them absolutely both." Also notable is that Brad Boxberger -- who got a one-out save Thursday -- was used in the seventh inning with the Royals up five and he was roughed up for three runs. The pecking order for saves is still being established here, but Kennedy looks like he might be the favorite at the moment.

Good luck to everyone speculating in the Royals pen. I'm gonna sit this one out.

• Like 1

Orioles manager Brandon Hyde said Sunday that he doesn't expect to have a set closer for a while.

Well, the good news is cool hip new manager who doesn’t like to name roles, your club doesn’t project to have a save opp for awhile.  

54 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Good luck to everyone speculating in the Royals pen. I'm gonna sit this one out.

I'm with you, if you can afford to sit this one out then it's probably for the best. However I can't do that so I picked up Kennedy everywhere. I refuse to own Peralta, so hopefully it's Kennedy or Boxberger.

Braiser still worth holding onto?

19 minutes ago, Deke said:

Braiser still worth holding onto?

That's a bit league specific, but if you're in a blood for saves league I'd say he's absolutely worth holding onto for awhile.

I could see Kennedy holding the job down.  He was decent as a starter and should be better as a reliever.  Hell, look at Shane Greene. He was a horrid starter and he's been able to keep the job for almost 2 years now in Detroit.

• Like 2

Strickland's going to be on the shelf for a while:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

what is even going on in seattle. i'm a huge bullpen nerd and i have no idea who some of these people are

like, i'm the kind of person who's like, "ok, ian kennedy, this is what we're doing? really? ok sure" and picks him up on all my teams. it takes a pretty chaotic bullpen to get me to be "ok, i'm not dealing with this". but seattle has managed it

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wily mo said:

what is even going on in seattle. i'm a huge bullpen nerd and i have no idea who some of these people are

like, i'm the kind of person who's like, "ok, ian kennedy, this is what we're doing? really? ok sure" and picks him up on all my teams. it takes a pretty chaotic bullpen to get me to be "ok, i'm not dealing with this". but seattle has managed it

This is kind of where I am because I don't know which of the five or so names to speculate on.

26 minutes ago, wily mo said:

I agree but the name I can get behind is Swarzak. He’s due back this week and if he puts together a few good outings I’m putting my money on him getting the role.

• Thanks 1

Diego Castillo with the vulture.

Nothing to see here in the grand scheme of things though. José Alvarado had pitched in the previous two games and was unavailable today.

Just now, Dislimb said:

Diego Castillo with the vulture.

Nothing to see here in the grand scheme of things though. José Alvarado had pitched in the previous two games and was unavailable today.

Maybe? They are both really filthy. I can see plenty of mix and match outta this pen.

2 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

I could see Kennedy holding the job down.  He was decent as a starter and should be better as a reliever.  Hell, look at Shane Greene. He was a horrid starter and he's been able to keep the job for almost 2 years now in Detroit.

Bud Norris was successful for a long stretch last season as well. Stranger things have happened. 

• Like 1

Sergio Romo with a save after Wei Yin Chen started the inning and promptly allowed a double and walk. Looks like it was matchups with Chen facing the lefties. Surprised Conley wasn't used in that situation.

24 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Sergio Romo with a save after Wei Yin Chen started the inning and promptly allowed a double and walk. Looks like it was matchups with Chen facing the lefties. Surprised Conley wasn't used in that situation.

Conley had pitched the previous 2 days. 

38 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Conley had pitched the previous 2 days. 

Third day in a row for romo