Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

One more tease for Braves fans to end the offseason.  We all know where he’ll end up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

The Knebel situation doesn't look good.  Let's say in best case scenario he rehabs well and comes back feeling fine.  Well:

- MIL may have signed Kimbrel so no closing for Knebel.

- Jeffress will have had ample time to establish himself as the closer.

- Hader will likely remain in fireman role, but MIL could go to a Hader/Jeffress closer/fireman duo.

There are just too many question marks here, and that's best case.  Worst case the injury requires TJ.  Second worst case it's harder to rehab than expected.  Etc. etc.

So if I had the DL space I'd certainly stash him until further notice, but if there's a guy on the WW that I want I would feel confident dropping Knebel outright.

Depends on how long it takes for Jeffress to come back.  That was why they suddenly got real interested in Kimbrel.

Jeremy Jeffress (shoulder) will open the 2019 regular season on the injured list.

Advice: Brewers manager Craig Counsell confirmed that bit of news Tuesday (me: last week, the 12th) in camp. Jeffress is making progress in his recovery from a sore right shoulder and is set to throw a bullpen session on Thursday, but he'll hang back in Arizona when the team heads north next week. The hope is that it will be a relatively short absence for the 31-year-old setup man.

More: Tom Haudricourt on Twitter          (Rotoworld.com)

"The hope is" does not sound like a sure cure for a mysterious sore shoulder.  So it isn't just Knebel alone which was why they got desperate enough to go Kimbrel shopping.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

10 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Atlanta:  Vizcaino but the Braves are going to work Minter in as soon as he's healthy.  

What makes you think this? I'm far from an Atlanta homer so I'm curious why you feel this way.

28 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

What makes you think this? I'm far from an Atlanta homer so I'm curious why you feel this way.

I think he's the better pitcher, when healthy.  Really both Minter and Viz have issues staying healthy and if they both split it, the team can manage their workloads better. 

Then there's this earlier this month...

https://www.12up.com/posts/6315753-brian-snitker-hints-braves-could-use-closer-by-committee

#Braves' Snitker indicated that Viz and Minter would split closer duties to start season. "And it may start out being a matchup-type thing, eight and ninth inning. We did that a little bit last year at the end."

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

That thing was out of date the day they put it up.  Knebel was already announced as being out a long time and Minter was injured.

It’s not been announced he’s out for a long time. A UCL injury he’s pitched with for years. Still waiting on word, unless you’ve got info no one else has.

That said, it’s all addressed if you do some reading and not just scroll down to the chart.

Edited by Backdoor Slider

12 minutes ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Anyone thinks Hirano from AZ gets the closer role?

Yes

5 minutes ago, rockmastermike said:

Seems like depth, either way. Could go Hader, Jeffers, Guerra, Albers, Wilson. Not sure it moves the needle either way re: Kimbrel. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Anyone thinks Hirano from AZ gets the closer role?

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/diamondbacks-yoshihisa-hirano-in-closer-mix/

Hirano is being considered for the closer role along with Archie Bradley and Greg Holland, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports. It was widely assumed that Bradley and Holland were the candidates, but Hirano has been added to mix. Manager Torey Lovullo said he and general manager Mike Hazen started discussion on the team's closer, and a decision is expected in the next few days.

Edited by Morat

Among the closing candidates in all the unsettled bullpens, which would you say would be the best speculative adds right now? (I don't mean the best candidate in each bullpen; I mean, how would you rank the players among the following group.) I'm going to eliminate the guys who are widely considered to be the closer going forward (like Bradley in Arizona, Colome in Chicago, and Barnes in Boston), even if that turns out to be wrong.

Here's the group:

Greg Holland--ARI

Yoshi Hirano--ARI

Ryan Brasier--BOS

Kelvin Herrera--CWS

Brad Boxberger--KC

Sergio Romo--MIA

Drew Steckenrider--MIA

Blake Parker--MIN

Trevor May--MIN

Mark Melancon--SF

I think my top five speculative relievers, right now, may be Parker, Hirano, Boxberger, Romo, and May, in that order.  Anyone else?

14 minutes ago, Raymanta said:

Among the closing candidates in all the unsettled bullpens, which would you say would be the best speculative adds right now? (I don't mean the best candidate in each bullpen; I mean, how would you rank the players among the following group.) I'm going to eliminate the guys who are widely considered to be the closer going forward (like Bradley in Arizona, Colome in Chicago, and Barnes in Boston), even if that turns out to be wrong.

Here's the group:

Greg Holland--ARI

Yoshi Hirano--ARI

Ryan Brasier--BOS

Kelvin Herrera--CWS

Brad Boxberger--KC

Sergio Romo--MIA

Drew Steckenrider--MIA

Blake Parker--MIN

Trevor May--MIN

Mark Melancon--SF

I think my top five speculative relievers, right now, may be Parker, Hirano, Boxberger, Romo, and May, in that order.  Anyone else?

I would add in this order: May, Braiser, Romo 

I would not pick up: Melancon

31 minutes ago, Raymanta said:

Here's the group:

Greg Holland--ARI

Yoshi Hirano--ARI

Ryan Brasier--BOS

Kelvin Herrera--CWS

Brad Boxberger--KC

Sergio Romo--MIA

Drew Steckenrider--MIA

Blake Parker--MIN

Trevor May--MIN

Mark Melancon--SF

May and Romo I think open the season as closers.

so if kimbrel waits till June, he’s still waiting.  The pick doesn’t mean anything, at least not to the Barves

On 3/22/2019 at 5:18 PM, kidtwentytwo said:

One more tease for Braves fans to end the offseason.  We all know where he’ll end up.

Where? Boston?  I'd guess Atlanta would be more likely to pay up than Milwaukee. 

Waiting too long can't be increasing teams' confidence after the Holland disaster last year.  I know Kimbrel is a lot better than that... But still a reliever... 

2 hours ago, Raymanta said:

Here's the group:

Greg Holland--ARI

Yoshi Hirano--ARI

Ryan Brasier--BOS

Kelvin Herrera--CWS

Brad Boxberger--KC

Sergio Romo--MIA

Drew Steckenrider--MIA

Blake Parker--MIN

Trevor May--MIN

Mark Melancon--SF

I think Adam Conley ends up being the guy. It may not happen right away though. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Raymanta said:

Here's the group:

Greg Holland--ARI

Yoshi Hirano--ARI

My money is on Archie Bradley.  Also no way no how Melancon closes for SF.

If its a true compettion based on ST then Yoshi would win the job easy.  You'd think the job would be Bradley's though.

And yea no way Melancon closes.  Has to be Will Smith, who I think I have on 3 teams.  Someone dropped him in one league after the draft, he's a late pick but that still surprised me.