Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

53 minutes ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

He’s no Blake Parker 

And he's certainly no Shane 'shutdown' Greene

• Haha 1

I'm pretty new to baseball, why didn't Doolittle get credited for a save tonight when he took care of the last 2 outs protecting a 3 run lead?

4 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

I'm pretty new to baseball, why didn't Doolittle get credited for a save tonight when he took care of the last 2 outs protecting a 3 run lead?

Tying run wasn't on base, at-bat or in the on-deck circle at any point. A requirement when the pitcher pitches less than a full inning.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, reichl555 said:

Well in 2018 he had an era of 3.23 and a whip of 1.28.  So if you want to judge him from a couple of innings in 2019 go ahead.  I’m sure if Kimbrel decides to sign, he’ll slide right into that role and dominate without having pitched for how long. 

Those aren’t good ratios from a guy you want closing all season. 

• Like 1

Finally a Doolitle Save. It had felt like years

Its Shane Greene time in the D.........

2:33
Not the mama: Jeff Fletcher of the OCR recently stated that teams signing players with QO attached would have to surrender 2020 pick if the player signed after 2019 draft, is that correct? The narrative has been that teams are waiting until after the draft to not lose any pick, but that doesn’t seem to make sense if Fletcher is correct

2:33
Craig Edwards: Looking this up. Give me a second.

2:37
Craig Edwards: quick reading of the CBA, and could be wrong, does seem to provide that provision, though a closer reading is probably necessary. IN any event, a draft pick next year is worth a lot less than one now. I’m not entirely sure the draft pick is what has prevented Kimbrel and Keuchel from signing, though for teams right now, delaying a penalty by a year and not signing a player until you know you are in contention does have its benefits. Probably not enough to where you wouldn’t sign that player today if you wanted or needed him, but there are some small benefits.

Thank you to whomever the hell Alaniz is for somehow making an 8 run lead a potential save op for Swarzak.

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2019 at 4:44 PM, Magoo said:

Messy

Stephenson or Garret. Not a Hughes fan.

On 4/16/2019 at 5:48 PM, pbjfb said:

Both numbers look sick

On 4/16/2019 at 7:09 PM, 89Topps said:

Ah, that's right, forgot about Amir Garrett.  Had him for a while last year and he was filthy the first couple months.

Stephenson looked pretty good tonight. Nasty breakers and located the fb well except for the mistake to Renfroe for a double. 

Amir Garrett just made a funny play on a comebacker, he jumped up in the air like a little kid to catch the ball and then ran it over to 1B almost the whole way and stopped and tossed it to Votto  haha

Iglesias looked good tho. Clean save 3 K. 

• Thanks 1

This might be the worst bullpen I've ever seen.  My God.

• Haha 1

Cody Allen craps the bed in a tie game. 2 hits, 2 walks, one earned run.

11 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Thank you to whomever the hell Alaniz is for somehow making an 8 run lead a potential save op for Swarzak.

You oughta know...

😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

What are our thoughts on Roenis Elias, the 30-year old lefty who is currently in a committee with Swarzak and others?

2019: 12.2 IP, 10:4 K:BB, 2.84 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 3 SV, 1 HLD.

Looks like he's a converted starter, having been sent to the pen in 2016 at some point.  Looking through his career numbers it doesn't look great, but then I split for starter/reliever and it looks better.  Career splits below:

Starter: 297 IP, 4.15 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, 256 K, 115 BB.
Reliever: 52.2 IP, 2.73 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 31 K, 19 BB.

What does the future hold?
Well he's a lefty in a committee so he may not get all the opps, but will likely get all that involve two out of three batters being lefties and so forth.  Given that SEA's offense is clicking (Narvaez ftw) there should be a good amount of opps to be had.  I hate predicting saves but the ratios look like he could settle in at 3.00 ERA and 1.25 WHIP.  He also has the coveted SP/RP status in Yahoo.  Who knows what will happen with SEA pen, though; watch them go out and sign Kimbrel.

• Like 1

Strop coming in for the save opp

6 hours ago, RenegadeGM said:

You oughta know...

😉

Not bad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

What are our thoughts on Roenis Elias, the 30-year old lefty who is currently in a committee with Swarzak and others?

2019: 12.2 IP, 10:4 K:BB, 2.84 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 3 SV, 1 HLD.

Looks like he's a converted starter, having been sent to the pen in 2016 at some point.  Looking through his career numbers it doesn't look great, but then I split for starter/reliever and it looks better.  Career splits below:

Starter: 297 IP, 4.15 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, 256 K, 115 BB.
Reliever: 52.2 IP, 2.73 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 31 K, 19 BB.

What does the future hold?
Well he's a lefty in a committee so he may not get all the opps, but will likely get all that involve two out of three batters being lefties and so forth.  Given that SEA's offense is clicking (Narvaez ftw) there should be a good amount of opps to be had.  I hate predicting saves but the ratios look like he could settle in at 3.00 ERA and 1.25 WHIP.  He also has the coveted SP/RP status in Yahoo.  Who knows what will happen with SEA pen, though; watch them go out and sign Kimbrel.

Swarzak is still the guy you want to own IMO. He's been used in a few high leverage situations in the 8th, but besides that, it's been typical closer duties.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thefamily79 said:

Do the Marlins have a lead pony?

nick anderson dark horse

9 hours ago, RenegadeGM said:

You oughta know...

😉

Isn't it ironic?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Castillo struggling since that vulture save. 

Edited by bigbluecrew56

1 minute ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Castillo struggling since that vulture save. 

He’s melting down hardcore. I’d rage drop him, but there’s nobody else I’d rather have that’s in my FA pool. Both of those homers were absolute meatballs smothered in marinara sauce. He looked awful last night too.

13 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

He’s melting down hardcore. I’d rage drop him, but there’s nobody else I’d rather have that’s in my FA pool. Both of those homers were absolute meatballs smothered in marinara sauce. He looked awful last night too.

I wouldnt think of dropping him. He's been great all season and is invaluable in holds leagues, especially if he has SP eligibility.

• Like 1