Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

46 minutes ago, crookedmacs said:

Parker was out with an illness

Good to know because Rogers getting the saves this weekend made no sense otherwise.  Especially today with righties due up in the 9th.  Obviously also the fact that Parker has done nothing to lose the role, as he's actually been pretty good.

Despite the way things turned out this weekend, it is likely just going to be Rogers when the matchup calls for it or Parker is unavailable.  Rogers surely did nothing to change that, giving up runs in both appearances.

Leclerc this isn’t what we signed up for. 

• Like 1

Just now, Max Rockatansky said:

He might be done here.

Altuve will finish him Mortal combat style. 

Just now, bigbluecrew56 said:

Jose LeClunker 

Hes a head case. I’m moving him ASAP. 

4 walks. 4. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Hes a head case. I’m moving him ASAP. 

4 walks. 4. 

I ditched him last week. Writing was on the wall. I've been worried about him since spring.

Yeah, LeClerc is a disaster. 

Shawn Kelley time?

I never expected Jose LeClerc to last this long into the season as closer but today has to be the final straw

9 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I didn’t realize he had bad control. I should’ve studied him more. 

Yeah, I’m really kicking myself for investing in him too. The warning signs were most definitely there - high bb/9 combined with high fly ball rate pitching in a little league stadium = high volatility.

Just now, meh2 said:

Yeah, I’m really kicking myself for investing in him too. The warning signs were most definitely there - high bb/9 combined with high fly ball rate pitching in a little league stadium = high volatility.

Man. Good points. I just heard so much hype. My fault. 

3 minutes ago, codog24 said:

Barnes owners trying to find something wrong with Braiser's latest save...…..

Both have been great.

• Like 1

LeClunk for the Hold lol. HR and 4 walks. That’s how you hold a lead fellas!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Shawn Kelley time?

Would have to think so.  LeClerc had no business keeping the closer's role after the two meltdowns against Arizona honestly.

8 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Shawn Kelley time?

My guess is we see the Rangers “give him a break from closing” and try to get him right in lower leverage situations. Kelley should get the opportunities in the meantime. If LeClerc can get right, he’ll be given every opportunity to get his job back.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

my mistake. I saw it was a 1 run lead and thought the box score said 9th instead of 8th. he still blew it and I'm guessing wont be getting any 9th inning save ops anytime soon.

kennedy -- who has a save, great ratios and been speculated as closer candidate earlier in season -- ended up losing the game giving up a walk off single in the 10th.  barlow pitched in the 9th of a tie game, K'd 2 and allowing only 1 H, 0 ERs.  anyone think barlow might get next SVO?  

Edited by swingbatter

2 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

kennedy -- who has a save, great ratios and been speculated as closer candidate earlier in season -- ended up losing the game giving up a walk off single in the 10th.  barlow pitched in the 9th of a tie game, K'd 2 and allowing only 1 H, 0 ERs.  anyone think barlow might get next SVO?  

Kennedy is still the best bet, imo. He’s actually been pitching well - far better than I thought he’d do. Whatever magic dust Peralta was using at the end of last year is long gone.

22 minutes ago, codog24 said:

Barnes owners trying to find something wrong with Braiser's latest save...…..

Well he did throw three balls. They got to sign Kimbrel now with all that struggling going on!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, meh2 said:

My guess is we see the Rangers “give him a break from closing” and try to get him right in lower leverage situations. Kelley should get the opportunities in the meantime. If LeClerc can get right, he’ll be given every opportunity to get his job back.

I agree that's what Woodward will say because he won't want to totally destroy LeClerc's confidence but honestly when a manager says that how often does the ex closer actually get his job back? If Kelly is doing fine as closer (and pitching 1 inning with a 2 or 3 run lead is not a particularly hard job), I don't think Woodward will make the switch back even if Leclerc does turn things around in a lower leverage role.

2 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I agree that's what Woodward will say because he won't want to totally destroy LeClerc's confidence but honestly when a manager says that how often does the ex closer actually get his job back? If Kelly is doing fine as closer (and pitching 1 inning with a 2 or 3 run lead is not a particularly hard job), I don't think Woodward will make the switch back even if Leclerc does turn things around in a lower leverage role.

They just gave him a big contract, so they think of him as their closer. If Kelley remains closer, its more than likely to showcase him for a trade. 

• Like 1