Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

Cody Allen was done last year

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

So Cody Allen and Jose LeClerc are about to either get the managerial vote of confidence or the it's time for a mental break speach. Kelley and Buttrey seem like the guys?  

Edited by meh2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Idk about Brasier...low K rates, low BABIPs, a lot of flyballs...He's now sporting a 1.64 ERA and 0.82 WHIP with a sub 8.00 K/9 as a Red Sox. He can't be that good. I kinda feel like a correction is coming.

Full disclosure: Barnes owner

Brasier is filthy and throws harder than anyone else on the team.  Barnes just lost the lead for the second time in two days giving up a tying run in the 8th.

10 hours ago, motown magic said:

Plus Kimbrels command hasn't been the greatest the last two years. He allows lots of base runners. He's clearly not the pitcher he was 3 or more years ago. Yes still good but like Chapman not that lock down closer you knew when they came in the game was over. Both too wild .Brasier several million cheaper for pretty much the same stuff at this point.

I agree totally.  Kimbrel no longer has an out pitch with his fastball.  I watched so many ABs last year where players could just fouled him off until they got a better pitch to handle or drew a walk when in past years they couldn't touch it.

50 minutes ago, codog24 said:

Barnes owners trying to find something wrong with Braiser's latest save...…..

It was Barnes that gave up the run though BOTH pitchers should not have had to pitch today.  This was Brazier's fourth straight game in a row and his third straight save in as many days.  Cora better not bring him in tomorrow.

27 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Well he did throw three balls. They got to sign Kimbrel now with all that struggling going on!

For the three dozenth time, no the Red Sox do not have to sign Kimbrel.  Also they will not sign Kimbrel.  They made it perfectly clear in the off season they were moving on from Kimbrel.  And even if they even wanted to, which they don't, they couldn't afford Kimbrel due to luxury tax penalties which include draft picks and international pool allotment money these days as well as the higher monetary penalties. 

That on top of the need to still re-sign JD (he has an opt out) in the off season and Mookie the following year though they probably won't be able to keep Mookie.  Also JBJ's and Porcello's contracts are up the end of this year and before Porcello's horrible start Porcello saying in spring training he really wanted to stay and would take a home town discount but the Sox haven't even talked to his agent.  Too many players to deal with and the Sox clearly saw the chinks in Kimbrel's armor starting to happen as well.  No way would they give him a long term mega-deal.

And Kimbrel wanting that a big fat muti-year deal beyond all human reason is the reason he isn't signed by any club right now.  Until he comes down to earth he will be sitting in his rocker on his front porch.  He has backed down from 6 years to demanding 5 now, big whoop.  And some teams think he could be had for a three year deal but they still aren't in at that level either.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Did anyone hear Chris Woodward's postgame press conference?  Is it official that LeClerc is finally out as closer?

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I think you missed the joke there @The Big Bat Theory

Ah okay.  Sorry.  I need a winking face next to stuff like that to pick up the joke I guess.  Comes from so many people actually posting stuff like this for real.   Again, me bad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu said:

Lol ok

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Did anyone hear Chris Woodward's postgame press conference?  Is it official that LeClerc is finally out as closer?

Even if he is tipping his pitches, it’s probably bad intel. Not like he had any idea where they were going. 

Edited by Rh3l22
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, meh2 said:

He must be yelling ‘ball’ before he throws each pitch.

😂😂😂😂

43 minutes ago, Rh3l22 said:

Even if he is tipping his pitches, it’s probably bad intel. Not like he had any idea where they were going. 

Do you think there is any chance Woodward is just saying that until he has a chance to talk to LeClerc and that tomorrow afternoon he will take him out of the closers role?

Who do you guys think will be given more chances? Leclerc or Allen?

Rangers just extended Leclerc.  He’s going to have ample chance to keep the role and get it again if he loses it.  

Allen on the other hand...

Nvm we should remember Ausmus runs the show now and was stubborn when it came to removing Shane Greene in detroit when he was absolute garbo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu said:

That's nice.

Bandito said he doesn't care and Leclerc will no longer be one of MY closers.

58 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Do you think there is any chance Woodward is just saying that until he has a chance to talk to LeClerc and that tomorrow afternoon he will take him out of the closers role?

Man you want LeClerq out of the closer role BADLY. 

• Like 1

Just now, Flyman75 said:

Man you want LeClerq out of the closer role BADLY. 

Been rostering Kelley since LeClerc's 2nd meltdown in Arizona.  Hate wasting a roster spot on a middle reliever in a non-holds league, but I have a feeling the minute I drop Kelley will be when Woodward finally makes the change.

56 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I feel like we should be talking about cody allen, not leclerc

52 minutes ago, David Aames said:

So is buttery or Robles the guy ??

Yeah this is the situation I find more interesting than TEX...I think Buttery is really good (kinda under the radar)...his manager is an idiot, so it might not mean much...yet, but another meltdown or two...his hand could be forced. I've never rostered Allen, but he seemed prone to huge disasters and not fun to put in a lineup...

1 minute ago, FootballFan101 said:

Been rostering Kelley since LeClerc's 2nd meltdown in Arizona.  Hate wasting a roster spot on a middle reliever in a non-holds league, but I have a feeling the minute I drop Kelley will be when Woodward finally makes the change.

I wouldn’t call his second blown save vs Arizona a “meltdown”. He allowed a walk, a hit, and a run. Granted, I didn’t watch the game, but the pitching line doesn’t scream meltdown. The day before that and today? Yeah, those are meltdowns. In any case, LeClerq is not the same pitcher he was last year amd is struggling. 

As for MRs in non-hold leagues, just depends on formats. I love a good MR or two or three in one of my keeper leagues. With an IP cap, they can provide elite ratios and elite k/9.