Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I wouldn’t call his second blown save vs Arizona a “meltdown”. He allowed a walk, a hit, and a run. Granted, I didn’t watch the game, but the pitching line doesn’t scream meltdown. The day before that and today? Yeah, those are meltdowns. In any case, LeClerq is not the same pitcher he was last year amd is struggling. 

As for MRs in non-hold leagues, just depends on formats. I love a good MR or two or three in one of my keeper leagues. With an IP cap, they can provide elite ratios and elite k/9.

Well, he also hit two batters that 2nd game vs ARI.  He also didn't technically get charged with a blown save that game since they took him out and won, just like today.

Edited by FootballFan101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LeClerc is having major control problems. The same he had when he first came to the Rangers. He must be dealing with some type of mechanical flaw that he's reverted back too. His fastball is hitting 97 but he cant control it. Wonder if he's in his head after signing that extension. 

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

Nvm we should remember Ausmus runs the show now and was stubborn when it came to removing Shane Greene in detroit when he was absolute garbo

It's an oldie, but so perfect for this...

spacer.png

The truth about Allen is that his fastball took a dip in velocity last year and he went from solid reliever to underwhelming. Well, his fastball is worse so far in 2019, and this is what you get. He's only a two pitch pitcher, and when one of those pitches is not good...well that's kind of a problem. I don't see Allen turning this around, but how stubborn Ausmus will be remains to be seen. Buttery would seem like the obvious replacement, but base don recent usage one could argue Robles. Robles just seems really underwhelming though.

As an aside, I wouldn't be shocked to see Cody Allen DFA's at some point this season. He's not trade-able with that contract and unless something changes fast, may not be playable either.

• Like 3

Lol and I just remembered, even before Greene remember how Ausmus kept rolling out the corpse of K-Rod for the longest time?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Do you think there is any chance Woodward is just saying that until he has a chance to talk to LeClerc and that tomorrow afternoon he will take him out of the closers role?

I don’t really know much about Woodward, but from what all the beat writers are saying, it sounds pretty clear he’s sticking with him at least for now. 

If I had any shares of him, I’d keep him on the bench and see if he figures it out. Rangers already invested in him and know what he’s capable of, so they’ll give him every chance to get himself straightened out. That being said, he looked horrendous. 

Is Jeffress going to close for MIL?  Or is Hader the uncontested guy still?

39 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Is Jeffress going to close for MIL?  Or is Hader the uncontested guy still?

I see no reason why we would not be looking at a similar bullpen situation to what we saw last year when Knebel lost his full time closing duties.  If Jeffress pitches well (a question still as he is coming off an injury and last year could have been a career year) he will undoubtedly see a number of save chances again. That will free Hader up to do his multi inning thing but will also see a healthy number of save chances as well.   I could see a situation where they were both had +15 - 20 saves, as well as a number of holds especially for Hader.   I expect this to occur unless Jeffress shows he's not the relief ace he was last year...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

I see no reason why we would not be looking at a similar bullpen situation to what we saw last year when Knebel lost his full time closing duties.  If Jeffress pitches well (a question still as he is coming off an injury and last year could have been a career year) he will undoubtedly see a number of save chances again. That will free Hader up to do his multi inning thing but will also see a healthy number of save chances as well.   I could see a situation where they were both had +15 - 20 saves, as well as a number of holds especially for Hader.   I expect this to occur unless Jeffress shows he's not the relief ace he was last year...

Pretty much. Just waiting to see how many scoreless innings it’s going to take from jeffress before they start putting him in saves/holds situations.

Hard trusting Kapler with Neris and Yost with Kennedy but the others competing for the job have been garbage so the cream seems to be rising. Would be nice if they just gave Neris and Kennedy the keys!

I'm keeping my eye on Jeffress as a replacement for one of those 2 should he take over in MIL...

would Buttrey be next in LA or Robles?

http://closermonkey.com/test/2019/04/22/cody-allen-jose-leclerc-struggling/

Los Angeles Angels – The Angels joined the “opener” trend, starting Hansel Robles on Sunday against Seattle, but the main news was another bad outing by Cody Allen, who allowed a home run and a walk to the two hitters he faced before being yanked for Luis Garcia, who picked up the save. After five scoreless outings to open the season, Allen has now given up runs in four consecutive outings. Brad Ausmus might not be worried, but we are.

Hierarchy remains: Allen | Buttrey | Robles.

I hate closers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's the deal in Seattle.  Is Elias the guy to own, or is this a 50/50 time share right now?

1 minute ago, dicka24 said:

What's the deal in Seattle.  Is Elias the guy to own, or is this a 50/50 time share right now?

Seems like Swarzak is still the primary guy and Elias the guy who will step in when Swarzak gets an off day or if Swarzak gets pulled forward to put out a fire in the 8th.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, David Aames said:

Why Robles over buttery?

It’s not certain but Ty’s been regularly relieving the starters in the 4th and 5th. He’s the best reliever so maybe he’s kind of the unofficial fireman

35 minutes ago, michaelai3 said:

So who's this Emilio Pagan guy?

Nothing to see here.

Both Alvarado and Castillo had pitched in 3 of the previous 4 games and were unavailable tonight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Are we still hanging onto Jeffress? Like when is he going to get the 9th, if he does even. Get that velo back.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, David Aames said:

Why Robles over buttery?

robles in the 9th in a tie game at home...are we jumping on him over cody allen?

edit: robles looked filthy too.  i know it was a hurt lineup but still

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, David Aames said:

Why Robles over buttery?

Because Robles has the Undertaker entrance

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So with the types of offers I am seeing for Leclerc, it seems other people (NOT ME) think he rebounds

I am out on this dude, any reason to think othewise

11 minutes ago, BaseballMuggle said:

So with the types of offers I am seeing for Leclerc, it seems other people (NOT ME) think he rebounds

I am out on this dude, any reason to think othew

Sure there is a reason to hold simply because he was as dominant a reliever as anyone in the majors last year.   When you have that kind of season I think you generally need to ride it out as long as you can.   Someone compared him to Knebel earlier here and I think it's a good comparison because he went from great to awful for a long stretch.  However, he was able to put it back together the last couple of months.   Leclerc needs to work this stuff out...

2 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Sure there is a reason to hold simply because he was as dominant a reliever as anyone in the majors last year.   When you have that kind of season I think you generally need to ride it out as long as you can.   Someone compared him to Knebel earlier here and I think it's a good comparison because he went from great to awful for a long stretch.  However, he was able to put it back together the last couple of months.   Leclerc needs to work this stuff out...

He also got a long term deal, and despite some early success the Rangers are rebuilding.  They are going to stick with Leclerc for the long term.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MoonyGray said:

Are we still hanging onto Jeffress? Like when is he going to get the 9th, if he does even. Get that velo back.

FB sat 93/94, so it's ticking up--albeit slightly...he can be good even if he doesn't get all the way back to 97/98...curve was sharp last night (2 whiffs and contrasts the harder stuff very well as it comes in at 80/81 with great 12-6 action), he really can thrive when he's mixing that in with consistency...he gave up some very loud contact last night, was lucky in that regard.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

robles in the 9th in a tie game at home...are we jumping on him over cody allen?

edit: robles looked filthy too.  i know it was a hurt lineup but still 

Buttrey was 'held' back in this game, so maybe he could have gotten a save opp? Prob making too much of the usage, but it might be a signal...

53 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Buttrey was 'held' back in this game, so maybe he could have gotten a save opp? Prob making too much of the usage, but it might be a signal...

so 50/50 at this point, or leaning which way?