Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

6 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

I’ve done nothing of the sort. I’ve only provided facts which only made you waiver from your original point about how Ausmus likes to use him which was based off of one outing

And I've admitted and agreed since your postings that Ausmus likes to use him across the board. That still doesn't bode well for save chances, and we're in the closers thread.

Buttrey has entered a game 7 times with a runner on base.  Seven. Times. 

Robles only twice. (Which includes tonight game)  

Buttrey. Is. The. Fireman.   After starting out the year as the primary 8th inning guy. 

They didn't take Buttrey out of the 8th inning role because the manager soured on him. Its because they trusted him more and not pigeon hole him to the 8th. While also trusting Robles to handle being the new set up man.  

Usage is a little harder to read here because the Angels only have 2 wins since April 10th. One of which a game where Robles was used as an opener. 

Robles still looks like he's getting the first shot for a save. While Buttrey will still be the fireman.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Slatykamora said:

Buttrey. Is. The. Fireman.   After starting out the year as the primary 8th inning guy. 

They didn't take Buttrey out of the 8th inning role because the manager soured on him. Its because they trusted him more and not pigeon hole him to the 8th. While also trusting Robles to handle being the new set up man.  

Usage is a little harder to read here because the Angels only have 2 wins since April 10th. One of which a game where Robles was used as an opener. 

Robles still looks like he's getting the first shot for a save. While Buttrey will still be the fireman.

Thank you for putting my point into words. I'm way too tired to type it all out right now, but agreed.

4 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

1-9 in their last 10 before tonight and 1-6 homestand before tn.  Its been very murky and probably will continue to be. Good info  

If Allen strings together some scoreless frames, does he get the job back? Now that Scioscia is gone, I don't expect the same closer carousel we've seen for the Angels, I expect them to try and stick with one guy. I tried researching how Ausmus handled closers in Detroit and in the years they didn't have a 30+ closer, it looks like once he made a change he stuck with it. 

8 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Shawn Kelley is a must-add now

I'm struggling to value Kelley as a spec add right now.  I'm not 100% clear that he is the guy in waiting and not at all clear that he will get the chance with Leclerq being owed $$ and being so far off his career averages in the 8.2 innings he has pitched this year.

Seems like it might be better to speculate on the clearly open role in LA.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm struggling to value Kelley as a spec add right now.  I'm not 100% clear that he is the guy in waiting and not at all clear that he will get the chance with Leclerq being owed $$ and being so far off his career averages in the 8.2 innings he has pitched this year.

Seems like it might be better to speculate on the clearly open role in LA.

Texas is also in a complete rebuild. They can take time to let Leclerc figure it out.

• Like 1

IIRC it was mentioned in here that Ausmus has a history of being loyal to the anointed closer on his teams (Krod and Greene were mentioned) after they've struggled.  He removes them temporarily, and then works them back in.  Unless Allen totally implodes moving forward, I'd expect him back in the role at some point. 

I think teams are really into this fireman thing in the pen.  The guy you can bring in mid inning with runners on base, or to face the middle of the order in the 7th or 8th. There is something to it too imo.   In the era of saber-metrics and specialization I think its not only a thing, but a legit way to operate.  Some guys just excel in certain situations, and pee themselves in others.  The fireman routine gives managers the ability to use what might be their best, or most composed reliever in the more challenging, outcome determining situations of the game.  I think this is why Robles could get the first shot at closing over Butrey.  Should Robles fail then all bets are off.  My guess is they figure they just need Robles to save a few games until (if) Allen straightens out.   For immediate saves it might be Robles.  Long term I think it's still Allens job, performance not withstanding.

26 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

IIRC it was mentioned in here that Ausmus has a history of being loyal to the anointed closer on his teams (Krod and Greene were mentioned) after they've struggled.  He removes them temporarily, and then works them back in.  Unless Allen totally implodes moving forward, I'd expect him back in the role at some point. 

I think teams are really into this fireman thing in the pen.  The guy you can bring in mid inning with runners on base, or to face the middle of the order in the 7th or 8th. There is something to it too imo.   In the era of saber-metrics and specialization I think its not only a thing, but a legit way to operate.  Some guys just excel in certain situations, and pee themselves in others.  The fireman routine gives managers the ability to use what might be their best, or most composed reliever in the more challenging, outcome determining situations of the game.  I think this is why Robles could get the first shot at closing over Butrey.  Should Robles fail then all bets are off.  My guess is they figure they just need Robles to save a few games until (if) Allen straightens out.   For immediate saves it might be Robles.  Long term I think it's still Allens job, performance not withstanding.

I want to expect him back in the role, but I think something is legit wrong here. Maybe needs a stint on the IL. 

cody allen velo.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

Even if Allen gets his mechanics right he can’t get misses on 93 up in the zone. He’s done.

ok so it looks like allen is done, and robles gets first shot right? and that robles has a history of being bad, which means buttery could take over down the road. Does all tis seem like the most likely scenario?

3 hours ago, jseay65 said:

I want to expect him back in the role, but I think something is legit wrong here. Maybe needs a stint on the IL. 

cody allen velo.jpg

Francona blew him out.

That's a 2 mph drop in 10 months.   That's a huge deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

Francona blew him out.

That's a 2 mph drop in 10 months.   That's a huge deal. 

The timeframe of him sucking so bad coincides with the drop in velocity pretty much perfectly. And with only 2 pitches he can’t change up his mix like so many aging vets so, so it’s pretty clear he’s done. 

9 hours ago, jseay65 said:

If Allen strings together some scoreless frames, does he get the job back? Now that Scioscia is gone, I don't expect the same closer carousel we've seen for the Angels, I expect them to try and stick with one guy. I tried researching how Ausmus handled closers in Detroit and in the years they didn't have a 30+ closer, it looks like once he made a change he stuck with it. 

Well he won't for awhile now at least:

Angels placed RHP Cody Allen on the 10-day injured list with a back injury.

This might help explain some of his early-season struggles. Allen was officially removed from his role as the Angels' closer this week and will now get some rest and try to reset himself. Ty Buttrey, Hansel Robles, Luis Garcia, Justin Anderson, and Cam Bedrosian could all be ninth-inning options for manager Brad Ausmus, who has stated that he will mix and match moving forward. Buttrey is probably the best speculative add in fantasy.

Apr 26, 2019, 5:36 PM

Whether his back is really bad or not he is not in the mix right now.

So i see they resurrected the DL just for Cody Allen ... the Disgraceful List

Swarzak gives up a HR to pinch hitting Choo

Might be dropping him in my deep 12 teamer

1 minute ago, NolanRyan said:

Swarzak gives up a HR to pinch hitting Choo

Might be dropping him in my deep 12 teamer

Not so quickly. It’s not like Elías is a stud

4 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Not so quickly. It’s not like Elías is a stud

I really hope Elias starts running away with the job.

Leclerc is warming up

2 minutes ago, zstlj said:

Leclerc is warming up

spacer.png

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

spacer.png

No leclerc yet, bottom 10 tie game

7 minutes ago, zstlj said:

No leclerc yet, bottom 10 tie game

Let’s see if the Rangers can score now... 

Anthony Swarzak has looked absolutely atrocious of late - his numbers look a lot prettier than he’s performed. 

I know a lot of you have shares with Roenis Elias but I don’t see him as a long game closing option for the Mariners. He’s not exactly setting the world on fire either but does serve value in lefty matchups & multi innings. 

I’d keep an eye on Brandon Brennan. He’s been outstanding and has worked his way into higher leverage spots. Kind of a cool story - he was a ho hum MiLB relief pitcher in the White Sox organization that developed a change up and started throwing it a lot more in the ‘18 MiLB seasons 2nd half with terrific results. Mariners analytical team & scouting pursued him this offseason and lost out to Colorado. However, they winded up getting him in The Rule 5 draft and began having him focus and build a repertoire based on what their analytics team was seeing. Results have been great - 16IP, 9 H, 2 ERs, 6 BB(2 INT), 16 Ks. He’s got a groundball tilt with predominant use of his sinker & change up -  he has a nice 10mph differential between the two from 94.5 to 84.3 mph. Unlike a lot of sinker RPs he generating K’s and a lot of miss averaging a K per inning and 16.3 swinging strike %. Dudes change is gross but all 3 pitches grade out as positive. 

I’m not saying anything is imminent but it’s a name worthy of throwing out is you’re hoping displayed skills win out. I need to shower everytime I watch Swarzak. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2