Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

Posted (edited)

A huge Texas fan just told me he expects Kelley to assume temp closer for a while then eventually try to let Leclerc have it back. Texas really don't have anyone clearly has a permanent replacement. Good news is Its May 1st tomorrow and we get a brand new refresh closer forum. Good bye April Hello May!

Edited by Trexpenniebaker
spell correction
  • Like 1

Just now, Trexpenniebaker said:

A huge texas fan just told me he expects Kelley to assume Temp closer for a while then eventually try to let Leclerc have it back. Texas rally don't have anyone clearly has a permanent replacement. Good news is Its May 1st tomorrow and we get a brand new refresh closer forum. Good bye April

What did we learn this April, gang

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

Up means down and left means right.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

😦 Why is Cishek in for the Cubs instead of Strop?

Edited by MissingLink

1 minute ago, loro1991 said:

CLOSER THREAD DEMANDS BLOOD

spacer.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Strop sitting on the bench and is not going to even warm up tonight. Might be a little sore or sick or something.

57 minutes ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

My lord, Leclerc needs to go wherever Trump and the owner of the Patriots go to “unwind”

1 hour ago, Slimzy17 said:

So done with Leclerc...

LOL
Maybe he should have thrown that pitch more outside? Like where? That pitch was in the opposite batter's box. Some people have really no clue.
https://www.mlb.com/pirates/video/jose-leclerc-in-play-run-s-to-josh-bell?t=t134-default-vtp

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

Is Robles the clear favorite in LAA moving forward??

Yes 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, oswald737 said:

I’m guessing most people are watching via gamecast, but LeClerc actually looked substantially better in this outing than his recent ones. His stuff was better and he had no issue throwing strikes. 

I know it sounds stupid based on the results. I really do. I’m just telling you that if you have watched him pitch recently, this was way better even if the results we’re horrible.

Rangers could still go to Martin or Kelley, but I still think Leclerc comes around.

Closing isn’t like starting. The fact that your stuff wasn’t bad, defense could have been better, guys made weak contact, etc. etc. doesn’t matter to managers or anyone else really when it comes to closers because you’re at the end of the game, unlike starters who have time to recover from those things.  

With closers you need a guy who is going to come in for one inning, miss bats, and slam the door. THAT is the standard by which closers are judged. And Leclerc fell way short of it once again. 

28 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Closing isn’t like starting. The fact that your stuff wasn’t bad, defense could have been better, guys made weak contact, etc. etc. doesn’t matter to managers or anyone else really when it comes to closers because you’re at the end of the game, unlike starters who have time to recover from those things.  

With closers you need a guy who is going to come in for one inning, miss bats, and slam the door. THAT is the standard by which closers are judged. And Leclerc fell way short of it once again. 

So you are sayin that closers have to strike out everyone.
LOL

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, oswald737 said:

I’m guessing most people are watching via gamecast, but LeClerc actually looked substantially better in this outing than his recent ones. His stuff was better and he had no issue throwing strikes. 

I know it sounds stupid based on the results. I really do. I’m just telling you that if you have watched him pitch recently, this was way better even if the results we’re horrible.

Rangers could still go to Martin or Kelley, but I still think Leclerc comes around.

Yeah he looked better considering getting anyone out and throwing a single strike is an improvement over his recent performance. But I watched him and I'm not sure how you can say he had no issue throwing strikes. He took back to back hitters to full counts with runners on the corners, one getting behind 3-1 and one starting 0-2 and throwing 3 straight balls. And he got bailed out by 2 horrendous strike calls against Polanco, with the called strike 3 being about 6 inches off the plate. I am amazed Polanco didn't snap and get ejected considering the situation.

Yes he looked better, but he still looked like crap to me. This guy is a mess right now.

Edited by bradwatson