On 3/20/2019 at 10:55 PM, chud12 said:

None.  Destroyed my league all year and for the 2nd straight year I’m going to get bounced after my bye week because of injuries. During the bye week I had zero injuries. If there wasn’t a pay out for first place at end of reg. Season I’d be so much more disgusted. 

I actually won my matchup 6-4...

happy disney GIF

Posted (edited)

Unless I end up with Harden again, going full punt assist next season. Makes life so much easier.

Edited by m1dday

26 minutes ago, m1dday said:

Unless I end up with Harden again, going full punt assist next season. Makes life so much easier.

I built a punt-assists team, but that's only because my draft strategy was to get the best overall player at my pick, no matter their position. Realized that Brogdon was the first PG I took in the 10th round, and by the end of the draft realized I had the perfect framework for punting assists. I finished 10-10 in it in the regular season this year, so it actually wasn't even that bad, but I still never had the intention of winning the category. I realized how beneficial it is because players who get assists typically don't contribute in more than 1 or 2 other categories, and having a team that dominates assists is really challenging to do because assists as a stat are a lot more difficult to come by. It's a stat that's as scarce as blocks, plus if you play in a league where TOs are a cat then you may be punting that since the two go hand in hand. My main league is a 9-cat and you don't see too many assists leaders who can help in FG%, rebounds, blocks, and TOs. 4 categories for the sake of assists and the occasional 1 or 2 others unless you have someone like Jokic, CP3, Harden, or Westbrook

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Naboo said:

In this age of resting and tanking you have to say goodbye to studs in the playoffs. Never dropped so many top players like this season on my way to 3 finals.

Next season I`ll focus even more on drafting players not on teams heading for the tanking marathon.

Yeah, sometimes I feel like it's necessary to stay away from both the top teams' top players (due to load management) and the crummy teams' top players (due to tanking).  Who the hell are you supposed to draft?

I mean, of course you don't stay totally away -- but I feel your frustration (I have AD -- who is kind of a third issue, trade demands/shutdowns).  Aaargh. 

35 minutes ago, DrFunkenstein13 said:

Yeah, sometimes I feel like it's necessary to stay away from both the top teams' top players (due to load management) and the crummy teams' top players (due to tanking).  Who the hell are you supposed to draft?

I mean, of course you don't stay totally away -- but I feel your frustration (I have AD -- who is kind of a third issue, trade demands/shutdowns).  Aaargh. 

Harden, Lillard, KAT, to name a few in the first round who don't have those issues. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Purple Hippo said:

Harden, Lillard, KAT, to name a few in the first round who don't have those issues. 

curry, klay, and Durant if KD leaves this offseason

My best player was Jimmy Butler and John Collins and I made it to the semis. I had a knack for picking up the right guys on waivers based on the current statuses of their teams and their goals. One thing I learned is that you absolutely need atleast 1 or 2 all stars

bench players can be studs Montrezl Harrell, rose, domantas sabonis, randle and mirotic, terrence ross, dinwiddie

• Like 1

1. In auction: don't go with a stars & scrubs strategy. I have always personally disliked this strategy and didn't plan on entering the draft going with this route, but somehow I ended up doing so. While still in fourth place with a small chance of finishing third I haven't really enjoyed this team this year. It is quite pick-up dependent and I'm not the best at playing the waiver wire. This year has really confirmed that a more balanced approach is my preference in auction leagues.

2. In my main league we expanded to 16 teams this year, and I entered the draft targeting a cat we don't use in our roto league: playing time. I drafted a team that was perfectly in line with how I always assemble teams (steady but boring players), and while everyone agreed it was a strong team no one considered it a clear cut favourite due to the lack of sexy upside picks in the earlier rounds. The result: I'm absolutely murdering the entire league with an 11 point lead ahead of the 2nd place and I even have 15 (out of a possible 16) points in the Points-cat, which is always my weakness because I (over)value efficiency and a lot of guys in my league overvalue points. Targeting playing time (and role/usage/proven track record) early really paid off in a deeper league I've come to find out. Others have targeted upside picks too early and with the WW being a wasteland there was barely a possibility to recover from one or two not living up to their potential.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WFK said:

1. In auction: don't go with a stars & scrubs strategy. I have always personally disliked this strategy and didn't plan on entering the draft going with this route, but somehow I ended up doing so. While still in fourth place with a small chance of finishing third I haven't really enjoyed this team this year. It is quite pick-up dependent and I'm not the best at playing the waiver wire. This year has really confirmed that a more balanced approach is my preference in auction leagues.

I dislike stars & scrubs too. I just blasted a guy last week that might have won, but his star was hurt.

Alternatively, I went balanced in the same league. I did that to insulate hedge bets on injuries. Still took huge hits on Capela, Booker, Lonzo etc during the year (I also shamefully drafted Kevin Love). Nice deep team to start but all my dudes were hurt at the same time at one point.

Luck on injuries has as much to do with it as anything else with H2H. Lebron hasn't missed many games in his whole career and was drafted top ten-ish this year. A groin injury made him pedestrian, no one saw that coming. H2H is kinda like roulette like that. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2019 at 6:31 PM, squid-jesus said:

I built a punt-assists team, but that's only because my draft strategy was to get the best overall player at my pick, no matter their position. Realized that Brogdon was the first PG I took in the 10th round, and by the end of the draft realized I had the perfect framework for punting assists. I finished 10-10 in it in the regular season this year, so it actually wasn't even that bad, but I still never had the intention of winning the category. I realized how beneficial it is because players who get assists typically don't contribute in more than 1 or 2 other categories, and having a team that dominates assists is really challenging to do because assists as a stat are a lot more difficult to come by. It's a stat that's as scarce as blocks, plus if you play in a league where TOs are a cat then you may be punting that since the two go hand in hand. My main league is a 9-cat and you don't see too many assists leaders who can help in FG%, rebounds, blocks, and TOs. 4 categories for the sake of assists and the occasional 1 or 2 others unless you have someone like Jokic, CP3, Harden, or Westbrook

It's all the luck of the draw during the course of a season. In 3/4 champ rounds now and my rosters consist primarily of bigs that can either hits treys or just rebound and block. Didn't plan on it happening this way, just worked out that way from wire pickups. Cruising! Bigs and 4 pg's is a winning roster. Throw in 3 SG/SF. Try and draft like that next year.

Yahoo H2H/9cat/12 team

PG: Derrick WhiteLuka DoncicPatrick BeverleyTrae Young ,

SG: Derrick White  Luka Doncic,Patrick Beverley

SF: Giannis AntetokounmpoHarrison BarnesMoe Harkless 

PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo  Nikola Vucevic Harrison Barnes Al Horford Bobby Portis Marvin Bagley III

C: Al Horford Bobby Portis Nikola Vucevic Rudy Gobert Enes  Kanter 

Edited by Forever Smooth

My team crashed when LeBron, Wall, and Oladipo went down.. it was smooth sailing before that.

Team is crashing and burning due to Lavine and Conley.  Had to drop Lavine last Sunday and now looking to drop Conley depending on his status today ... 

Draft the joker. This mofo always played 4 or 5 games a week whenever i faced him. What a sick joke. And don't trust a celtics player. Marcus smart you had just one job.

On 3/26/2019 at 6:47 AM, thrilla1nManila said:

bench players can be studs Montrezl Harrell, rose, domantas sabonis, randle and mirotic, terrence ross, dinwiddie

And Lou Williams.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forever Smooth said:

And Lou Williams.

Next year will be different. This was D-Rose best year in quite sometime and yet he's on the shelf at the moment. If he's on the board next year I wouldn't draft him. We'll see, look the movement this summer and gauge it from there. 

Do not draft Blake or Lowry.

They'll be stat stuffers at the start of the season and eventually wear down by the time playoff season comes around

There are two ways to win H2H: 

1) Draft Stars n Scrubs focusing on stars who have good playoff schedules and are historically healthy.  Be better at finding waiver wire adds than your competitors.  Focus on games played during the fantasy playoffs.

2) Draft an efficient team.  The efficiency cats aren’t correlated to games played.  Actually TO are negatively correlated to games played.  The counting stats are often cuffed together (a.assists/steals; b. Rebounds/blocks; c. Points/threes).  If you can win all three efficiency cats then you only need to win one group.  It’s rare to find a team that is strong in all counting stats so you can simply attack your opponents weakest group by using all your wire adds for that week to win those two cats.  This is your most realistic way to win in H2H when you have a disadvantage in games played.  

• Like 2

if you go heavy on bigs with good stocks that's steals, blks, reb, t/o, fg% basically every week. you can also be competitive in pts and 3's.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

if you go heavy on bigs with good stocks that's steals, blks, reb, t/o, fg% basically every week. you can also be competitive in pts and 3's.

Conversely, if you go heavy on guards that’s Assists/steals, points/threes, and FT%. Although points isn’t a given.  The difference maker in favor of bigs is TO which you basically get for free and discredits the notion that TO don’t matter.  

4 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Conversely, if you go heavy on guards that’s Assists/steals, points/threes, and FT%. Although points isn’t a given.  The difference maker in favor of bigs is TO which you basically get for free and discredits the notion that TO don’t matter.  

true but center heavy its easier to win steals and you can  still compete in pts and 3's vs the guard heavy team. I  don't think guard heavy teams have a chance to compete in reb, and blks 

Never Draft kawhi for the rest of his load management career. He got me to the finals missing a game a week but i dont know if im gonna win the title. 2nd place and i put all the blame on kawhi.

Just now, colepenhagen said:

true but center heavy its easier to win steals and you can  still compete in pts and 3's vs the guard heavy team. I  don't think guard heavy teams have a chance to compete in reb, and blks 

That’s my point.  The four cats are equal but going big=free win in TO. 

• Like 1

gotcha thought you were talking about how 2/5 cat's were efficiency cats t/o and fg%. that could be a problem. on random weeks

also learned that team build doesn't matter half as much as rolling out more players if you have a substantial advantage in games played. rather not punt anything and not have a strong build if I get more players playing