I think it's time to make championship week in week 23 from now on. Week 24 is just as bad as week 25.

• Like 6

On 3/21/2019 at 3:57 PM, Kaboom said:

Ignore turnovers in 9-cat. The top two teams in our league have a 1 and a 2 in TO's. The bottom two teams have an 11 and a 12 in TO's. That's no coincidence.

I don't think you should ever ignore TOs. I had 8, held it there for a bit and currently down to 6, I was able to crack 100 points because everyone drafted & traded like the top two teams in your league by completely ignoring TOs. Not saying I have a god team, but when people punt TOs, I think you should take advantage of that.

12 hours ago, MysticPeak said:

I don't think you should ever ignore TOs. I had 8, held it there for a bit and currently down to 6, I was able to crack 100 points because everyone drafted & traded like the top two teams in your league by completely ignoring TOs. Not saying I have a god team, but when people punt TOs, I think you should take advantage of that.

My recommendation take it with a grain of salt is to not punt period, always give yourself a chance to win in all cats because when you're punting and in some weeks you still lose the cats you're strong in, you're already almost guaranteed to lose the cats you punted in those weeks also and in those cases you take a bigger L. I wouldn't say ignore TO's too but I would say don't worry too much about it some high usage players you gotta live with the good and the bad (Westbrook, Harden, LBJ, etc.). I learned my lessons a lot from punting, sometimes I'm sure it works if it all plays out well for you but you should ideally build a 9 cat team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, megaplayboy said:

My recommendation take it with a grain of salt is to not punt period, always give yourself a chance to win in all cats because when you're punting and in some weeks you still lose the cats you're strong in, you're already almost guaranteed to lose the cats you punted in those weeks also and in those cases you take a bigger L. I wouldn't say ignore TO's too but I would say don't worry too much about it some high usage players you gotta live with the good and the bad (Westbrook, Harden, LBJ, etc.). I learned my lessons a lot from punting, sometimes I'm sure it works if it all plays out well for you but you should ideally build a 9 cat team.

THIS!

not to mention what an injury does to your team when you’re tanking categories. Last season I was tanking assists, loosing kawhi, Gallo, Seth Curry, and Gobert gave me no hope especially considering a lot of top waiver options don’t cater to your specific team build. Don’t tank man, only works if your fully healthy and your league mates don’t catch up and counter

Edited by Simsanityy179
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I won the championship (barely) and 500 bucks my 3rd championship in a row (money league), but I think I am done with fantasy basketball. Too many primadonnas and bull**** excuses these days. 

Edited by bsu27
  • Confused 1

On 3/31/2019 at 2:00 PM, taenggg said:

I'm not hard punting tos, I have no problem adding guys that will contribute in the counting cats but will hurt me slightly in TOs (Dunn for example). It's more about finding a balance/right medium between assists and controlling turns. I wouldn't want multiple Lebron/simmons types because they cost too much and turns will most likely be a lost cause. 

@hipriest69

Didn't have Simmons, drumm or dray but I was willing to trade for them. You need to get stls/stocks from your bigs. Guys like Adams, jokic, Nance, mitch, favors, Gasol, (pre trade) rostered. At the same time weeks where assists might be low is where you you can take advantage of winning turns. 

For guards guys who get assists but have low turns are guys to target. White (out of position blocks as well), tyus, smart - he avged 4~ with 1.5 turns/1.5stls and has been consistent, Sato, rondo, butler (low turns, solid assists and stls), collison (he got lucky with dipo injury but he couod be had for cheap earlier in the season), Shai, Bev, Morris, etc. Lots of these guys were available the wire in 12 teams at some point esp early. 

Yep.  I was able to get the chip in one league with a hard punt on FT%/3's/pts.  Roster included; Jokic, Mitch, Adams, Plumlee, Favors, Milsap, Bagley, Thadd, Harkless, Rondo, Sato, DJA and a few streamers -- the end of season, shutdown beneficiary types (Wright, Caboclo, Wood, etc.).  Staight bigs & PG's ftw, as someone mentioned earlier. 

2 hours ago, Simsanityy179 said:

THIS!

not to mention what an injury does to your team when you’re tanking categories. Last season I was tanking assists, loosing kawhi, Gallo, Seth Curry, and Gobert gave me no hope especially considering a lot of top waiver options don’t cater to your specific team build. Don’t tank man, only works if your fully healthy and your league mates don’t catch up and counter

When you're losing a combination of players like Fun Guy and Stifle, you're not losing because of your roster "build".  Missing a couple top-20 players will generally spell doom regardless.  

Punting is highly effective (almost necessary in competitive H2H) and there are WW pick-ups that cater to certain punts more readily available than there are for others.  To be frank, punting assists is one of the easier strategies to recover from if missing a star player, because assists are one of the harder cats to find on the wire. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 80version said:

When you're losing a combination of players like Fun Guy and Stifle, you're not losing because of your roster "build".  Missing a couple top-20 players will generally spell doom regardless.  

Punting is highly effective (almost necessary in competitive H2H) and there are WW pick-ups that cater to certain punts more readily available than there are for others.  To be frank, punting assists is one of the easier strategies to recover from if missing a star player, because assists are one of the harder cats to find on the wire. 

Idk my guy , punting is risky if the other top teams catch on and counter your team comp. I will always prefer “ soft tanking “ 1-2 categories based on the other top 3 teams in H2H. 

8 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

We were talking about Roto btw, but yeah.

Devin Booker is shadow of James Harden.

Will draft him again next season.

23 hours ago, hkchuchu said:

Devin Booker is shadow of James Harden.

Will draft him again next season.

will try to get booker as well combined with harden. that time i can get low scoring big rebound bigs

On 4/2/2019 at 1:29 PM, Simsanityy179 said:

Idk my guy , punting is risky if the other top teams catch on and counter your team comp. I will always prefer “ soft tanking “ 1-2 categories based on the other top 3 teams in H2H. 

Agree soft punt puts you ahead of those 3-4 other teams inevitably punting assists.

Also gives more flexibility on waiver wire pick ups and if you need to pivot.

1) Other Harden and perhaps a healthy AD, no one is worth more than $60 in auction.  Several of the players in the top 15 (George, Vuc, Beal, and Lillard in some leagues) cost well under that.  Meanwhile, there were several busts if you include injury or poor performance during the fantasy playoffs including LeBron, Durant, and AD among players who cost that much in auction.  

2) Players valued $10-20 are generally a waste of money.  I've moved on from having a perfectly balanced approach to auction spending not because it's a bad idea in theory but because in practice spending around $20 typically gets a top 75 guy.  If you draft well you can find a Gallo, Siakam, Harrell, MitchRob, McGee type at that price point but most of those guys were actually cheaper fliers.  Nothing is inherently wrong with top 75 players, the problem is that if your team is filled with only players like that then you'll lose.  The other problem is that often ww players or $1-3 fliers sneak into the top 75.  Spending $20 often nets you a guy like Jarrett Allen, who while serviceable, doesn't move the needle. Spending $20 on a player is often a waste of about $15.

3) If $60+ players are often a colossal waste, particularly because if they get injured you're out 1/3 of your budget, and players around $20 are also a waste then that leaves players $21-$59 as my targets.  We're looking at PG13, Vuc, Beal, Lillard, Kemba, Jrue, Stifle, Drummond, Capela, Turner Klay, Tobias, type players.  I still strive to be somewhat balanced as I aim to get as many top 30 players as possible without spending more than $50 on any given player.  If you can spend $175ish total on a starting lineup consisting of 5 top 30 players then you're going to do very well.  That still leaves $25ish for the final spots.  I like to save $3 for each of my fliers that way if I nominate someone and an opponent bid $2, I can go $3.  

4) Fallen angels (Vuc, Gallo, Lopez) can be some of the best targets.  We know they can be second round players as they've done so in the past but for whatever reason, age, injury, new team, etc. they go for less than they should.  Rookies tend to be the opposite, generally poor targets.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

1) Other Harden and perhaps a healthy AD, no one is worth more than $60 in auction.  Several of the players in the top 15 (George, Vuc, Beal, and Lillard in some leagues) cost well under that.  Meanwhile, there were several busts if you include injury or poor performance during the fantasy playoffs including LeBron, Durant, and AD among players who cost that much in auction.  

2) Players valued $10-20 are generally a waste of money.  I've moved on from having a perfectly balanced approach to auction spending not because it's a bad idea in theory but because in practice spending around $20 typically gets a top 75 guy.  If you draft well you can find a Gallo, Siakam, Harrell, MitchRob, McGee type at that price point but most of those guys were actually cheaper fliers.  Nothing is inherently wrong with top 75 players, the problem is that if your team is filled with only players like that then you'll lose.  The other problem is that often ww players or $1-3 fliers sneak into the top 75.  Spending $20 often nets you a guy like Jarrett Allen, who while serviceable, doesn't move the needle. Spending $20 on a player is often a waste of about $15.

3) If $60+ players are often a colossal waste, particularly because if they get injured you're out 1/3 of your budget, and players around $20 are also a waste then that leaves players $21-$59 as my targets.  We're looking at PG13, Vuc, Beal, Lillard, Kemba, Jrue, Stifle, Drummond, Capela, Turner Klay, Tobias, type players.  I still strive to be somewhat balanced as I aim to get as many top 30 players as possible without spending more than $50 on any given player.  If you can spend $175ish total on a starting lineup consisting of 5 top 30 players then you're going to do very well.  That still leaves $25ish for the final spots.  I like to save $3 for each of my fliers that way if I nominate someone and an opponent bid $2, I can go $3.  

4) Fallen angels (Vuc, Gallo, Lopez) can be some of the best targets.  We know they can be second round players as they've done so in the past but for whatever reason, age, injury, new team, etc. they go for less than they should.  Rookies tend to be the opposite, generally poor targets.  

Great post. I’ve bookmarked for my draft next year. #3 is spot on. I’m going to finish second in my big money roto auction league with a core of Lillard, Kemba, Stifle, Tobias (and unfortunately Oladipo). First place team featured PG, Beal, Jrue, Hield. Neither of us had a 60 dollar player.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Purple Hippo said:

Great post. I’ve bookmarked for my draft next year. #3 is spot on. I’m going to finish second in my big money roto auction league with a core of Lillard, Kemba, Stifle, Tobias (and unfortunately Oladipo). First place team featured PG, Beal, Jrue, Hield. Neither of us had a 60 dollar player.

Agreed and I'm a huge believer in this. In my main league I drafted 5 guys in the $36-$25 range and filled out the roster with low cost shots in the dark. Combined with a lot of waivers work, I ended up with the deepest team in the league. 

Edited by cochise316
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Purple Hippo said:

I'm likely going to finish first in my biggest roto league ($1800 for first) with a similar approach:

G: Jrue, Kemba, Irving

C :Vuc, DeAndre Jordan

F/Util: Klay, Gordon, Gay, Grant, Baze or Ariza 

Nikola Mirotic is the ultimate cock tease, but we already knew that.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2019 at 5:51 PM, StifleTower2 said:

I had never really given the $10-20 players a lot of thought, but after reading this I figured I'd have a look at all the $10-20 players drafted in our roto league to see how they have performed.

$14: Josh Richardson

$15: Jarrett Allen

$16: Gordon Hayward

$12: Lou Williams

$16: Steven Adams

$13: Will Barton

$10: Lauri Markkanen

$20: Hassan Whiteside

$19: John Collins

$12: Robert Covington

$14: Aaron Gordon

$11: Paul Millsap

$10: Taurean Prince

$11: Ricky Rubio

$15: Jayson Tatum

$10: Joe Ingles

$12: Jeff Teague

$12: Brook Lopez

$10: Dejounte Murray

$20: Enes Kanter

Apart from a few good value picks the majority of them have either performed on par with cheaper picks or even significantly worse than them. Seems like something to keep in mind for next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, WFK said:

I had never really given the $10-20 players a lot of thought, but after reading this I figured I'd have a look at all the $10-20 players drafted in our roto league to see how they have performed.

$14: Josh Richardson

$15: Jarrett Allen

$16: Gordon Hayward

$12: Lou Williams

$16: Steven Adams

$13: Will Barton

$10: Lauri Markkanen

$20: Hassan Whiteside

$19: John Collins

$12: Robert Covington

$14: Aaron Gordon

$11: Paul Millsap

$10: Taurean Prince

$11: Ricky Rubio

$15: Jayson Tatum

$10: Joe Ingles

$12: Jeff Teague

$12: Brook Lopez

$10: Dejounte Murray

$20: Enes Kanter

Apart from a few good value picks the majority of them have either performed on par with cheaper picks or even significantly worse than them. Seems like something to keep in mind for next year.

Yes, they're typically absolute dog s---, and a waste of money.  RoCo overperformed until injury and BroLo was good.  Other than that you have players worth a few dollars, injured players, and many players just barely playable over ww players.   

5 hours ago, WFK said:

Yeah man! 

I usually take a ton of guys in rounds 2/3-5 in auction (depending on value). I hope to have 1 of those guys perform top 10-20 every week, its kinda like a rotation. You don't have a true stud like that but you are hoping that on any given week, you can have 6+ guys in the top 30-40 and one stands out every week. 

• Like 1

Don't get in a league that runs thru the 10th of April... 

• Like 2