WTP333

Max Fried 2019 Outlook

Touki demoted 

KW and Fried likely to start year in rotation 

The Braves rotation to start the season: Teheran, Wilson, Wright, Newcomb and Fried They wanted to start three RHP vs. Philly. Wright’s first career start will come during the Sunday night series finale. Teheran will come back for the fifth game. Fried is set up for the 6th game

I'd be surprised if he sticks in the rotation.  Probably holding a spot for Soroka right now.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

I'd be surprised if he sticks in the rotation.  Probably holding a spot for Soroka right now.

Maybe for gausman who’s supposed to be back early April they tweeted 

edit: here’s what bowman said 

Braves rotation at Philly

Thurs: Teheran

Sat: Wilson

Sun: Wright

Vs. Cubs

Mon. Newcomb

Wed. Teheran#

Thurs. Fried (if he isn’t used as a long reliever within the first five games)

Vs. Marlins

Fri. Gausman ( will start on the IL)

Edited by WTP333
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

Maybe for gausman who’s supposed to be back early April they tweeted 

edit: here’s what bowman said 

Braves rotation at Philly

Thurs: Teheran

Sat: Wilson

Sun: Wright

Vs. Cubs

Mon. Newcomb

Wed. Teheran#

Thurs. Fried (if he isn’t used as a long reliever within the first five games)

Vs. Marlins

Fri. Gausman ( will start on the IL)

makes sense

1 hour ago, dfstout said:

RP/SP worth a scoop?

I think it's a sneaky play, but he'll have to force his way into starts. All he does is pitch well but gets disrespected by a Braves team swimming in quality young arms, and gets dismissed by fantasy experts as a result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2019 at 10:39 AM, Hockey_Baseball said:

I think it's a sneaky play, but he'll have to force his way into starts. All he does is pitch well but gets disrespected by a Braves team swimming in quality young arms, and gets dismissed by fantasy experts as a result.

Great start tonight, at Colorado next then if all goes in order some decent matchups after the visit to coors

• Like 2

Problem with Fried is his control. I don't trust him at all. Great start today, but I'll let someone else take the plunge. 

are they gonna watch his Innings later on? 

otherwise he looks better than Teheran, wright, newcomb and wilson. so he should stay in the rotation. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I think Fried should start for the foreseeable future as long as he pitches well.  He was pretty good most of last year.  He is young and now has a lifetime ERA of less than 3 in more than 60 IP.       The Braves SP when all are healthy  1. Folty,  2. Teheran  3. Gaussman  4. Fried  5. Newcomb

Edited by 6Time
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cornerback said:

are they gonna watch his Innings later on? 

otherwise he looks better than Teheran, wright, newcomb and wilson. so he should stay in the rotation. 

What about Folty and Gausman, both of whom are entrenched in the rotation?

Let’s keep in mind this was just one start, in rainy conditions, against a team that is slumping horribly right now.  Fried did show exemplary command tonight - but that is a downright anomaly considering his long history of struggles with his control.  I’d assume they will send him down to Gwinnett when the regulars return so as to have him available as a fallback option at some point later in the season.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BMcP said:

What about Folty and Gausman, both of whom are entrenched in the rotation?

Let’s keep in mind this was just one start, in rainy conditions, against a team that is slumping horribly right now.  Fried did show exemplary command tonight - but that is a downright anomaly considering his long history of struggles with his control.  I’d assume they will send him down to Gwinnett when the regulars return so as to have him available as a fallback option at some point later in the season.

On the surface it seems that way, but coming into that game Cubs hitting actually ranked tops in baseball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crafty said:

On the surface it seems that way, but coming into that game Cubs hitting actually ranked tops in baseball.

Wow - look at that.  I’m stupefied - my apologies, it appears I have been neglecting to watch the Cubs so far.  Maybe I need at least one of them on one of my teams!

That certainly renders his outing more impressive—

10 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Problem with Fried is his control. I don't trust him at all. Great start today, but I'll let someone else take the plunge. 

Control issues arent nearly as bad as Newcomb or Touki though. Definitely is something that could hold him back but he was recovering from TJ only a few years ago and had several weird injuruies recently--blisters, etc. and shuffled back and forth between pen and rotation. I think its worth a shot to see what he can do in a reasonable sample size. His stuff is and always has been, great and I think he has a lot more upside than Soroka, Wright and Wilson. 

If he was in another system I think he would have a lot more hype but hes overshadowed by all the Atlanta young arms. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Letitbe793 said:

Control issues arent nearly as bad as Newcomb or Touki though. Definitely is something that could hold him back but he was recovering from TJ only a few years ago and had several weird injuruies recently--blisters, etc. and shuffled back and forth between pen and rotation. I think its worth a shot to see what he can do in a reasonable sample size. His stuff is and always has been, great and I think he has a lot more upside than Soroka, Wright and Wilson. 

If he was in another system I think he would have a lot more hype but hes overshadowed by all the Atlanta young arms. 

Well, not nearly as bad as Newcomb's but pretty close to Toussant's, and he doesn't have the K rate that either one of them have either. But that's also why I don't own and didn't target any of the trio...and won't until they gain control of their pitches. As far as injuries, he was having control issues before TJS, and his walk rate has been pretty consistently bad. It didn't spike because of injuries...he's just struggled to find the zone. In 2017, in his second full season following TJS, he posted his worst bb/9 of his minor league career. 

As a Braves fan, I'm rooting for the kid. But when it comes to my fantasy teams, I'll root from a distance because I don't need those walk rates inflating my team WHIP. I hope he gets it all together, and I believe he can be a valuable asset if he can drop his walk rate. I'm just going to let someone else take the risk, lol. 

And yes, I agree that he has more upside than Wright and Wilson, but I'll agree to disagree about Soroka. I'll take the kid who's more than three years younger and has shown better commando of his pitches. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Fried was sort of pegged for the Josh Hader/Andrew Miller type roll by a lot of people preseason. Injuries have him starting now and I think he'll stay in until he falters. They have been trying to create competition amongst these young pitchers and it would be going against all of what they have been saying to not keep him in the rotation over the more highly regarded prospects like Wright and Soroka now. Like all these young guys, they just want someone to grab the job and run with it. Maybe he's the one to do it.

Edited by Bigfische
  • Like 1

he was a pretty hyped prospect a few yrs ago....sometimes it takes a while for young pitchers to put it together....I do think they will stick with the hot hand and he just looks the best now....Im buying

Last nights game was on tv and pre-game his teammates were gushing about the quality of his stuff and how impressed they were with it.

Then he pitched a great game and looked like the guy they were raving about.    I'm buying into Max breaking out finally.

30 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

he was a pretty hyped prospect a few yrs ago....sometimes it takes a while for young pitchers to put it together....I do think they will stick with the hot hand and he just looks the best now....Im buying

Yeah, it's a bit of an old trope, but lefties do seem to take longer to develop. Very encouraging outing. Stuff is plenty good, we will see if he gets an opportunity to continue working every 5th day in rotation...given the other options it might make sense to leave him alone, at least until May.

He doesn't appear to be scheduled for a start the next week. Didn't see any news, I know Gausman is back, but is Fried sticking or not?

10 minutes ago, k.k. said:

He doesn't appear to be scheduled for a start the next week. Didn't see any news, I know Gausman is back, but is Fried sticking or not?

cbs has him scheduled tue@col and sun against the mets.

10 minutes ago, cornerback said:

cbs has him scheduled tue@col and sun against the mets.

Not sure you bank on that. On MLB site Mon and Tues starters for ATL are listed as TBD.

Just now, k.k. said:

Not sure you bank on that. On MLB site Mon and Tues starters for ATL are listed as TBD.

There is no way he is going to be sent down after that start.