WTP333

Max Fried 2019 Outlook

Pitch well, stay in the rotation, don't, won't...simple...Happy Fried-day!

Why 12 days for his next start? It had him starting today but now it says 4/21. Was he hurt or get demoted? 

5 minutes ago, SouthSideSale said:

Why 12 days for his next start? It had him starting today but now it says 4/21. Was he hurt or get demoted? 

I never saw today. I still see 4/16 (Tues) and 4/21. 

5 minutes ago, SouthSideSale said:

He’s pitching this tuesday 4/16. Lined up for a two start week

I thought I saw the 14th since for some reason on ESPN its showing next start as the 21st, with no mention of the 16th. Kinda odd but oh well, Ill take a two start week!

He could end up like Kenny Rogers...Kenny Rogers Roasters...Max Fried Chicken...if he is so inclined...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Originally the 5th starter on a team full of arm talent, somehow three of the pitchers ahead of him (Wright, Wilson, and Newcomb) have all been optioned to the minors and its only mid-April. Who would have thought on opening day the only Braves starters still around would be Teheran and Fried? Gausman is back and Foltynewicz should be soon. But it's looking real good for Fried to stay in the rotation. Now he just has to perform. We'll see on Tuesday

• Like 1

zAf76DlY_bigger.jpgMark BowmanVerified account @mlbbowman
FollowFollow @mlbbowman
More

Fried ranks fourth among left-handed starters (min. 100 pitches) in average 4-seam velo (94.9 mph).and fifth among all starters (min. 25 curveballs) in curveball spin rate (2835 RPM). In his 5 starts last year, his 4-seamer averaged 92.7 mph. His avg. CB spin rate was 2830 RPM

9:16 AM - 16 Apr 2019
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Tonight the DBacks strung a couple of soft singles, a couple of fairly well struck singles and a HBP together, and caused Max to give up a couple of runs in the 4th.  But the kid was pretty unflappable and hung in for a QS in the end (and hopefully the win).  I’m impressed by the fact that he’s so poised and works fairly quickly.  Just by way of comparison:  I was also keeping tabs on Quintana’s relative dominance of the Marlins this evening.  Honestly, Fried was more impressive in terms of stuff and when you take quality of competition in to consideration.  This kid could become something special if he refines things just a little. I hope the Braves give him a real shot in the rotation this year.

Edited by Turkey Burgers
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Turkey Burgers said:

Tonight the DBacks strung a couple of soft singles, a couple of fairly well struck singles and a HBP together, and caused Max to give up a couple of runs in the 4th.  But the kid was pretty unflappable and hung in for a QS in the end (and hopefully a win).  I’m impressed by the fact that he’s so poised and works fairly quickly.  Just by way of comparison:  I was also keeping tabs on Quintana’s relative dominance of the Marlins this evening.  Honestly, Fried was more impressive in terms of stuff and when you take quality of competition in to consideration.  This kid could become something special if he refines things just a little. I hope the Braves give him a real shot in the rotation this year.

Come on bro! 🤨

Coming into this game though early, D-Backs was hitting lefties pretty well. I'm not disappointed at all. Now the Braves bullpen, that's another story. I'm speaking about tonight. blowing Fried's win.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:33 PM, Theschill38 said:

Fried pitched real well most of last year and so far so good this year.  Even with all the depth, he should definitely be in the rotation, if he continues to pitch well.  IMO, Although, I believe, due to his past injuries and his and his relatively few innings over the last several years, I assume he will likely be limited to about 120 Innings or so.  I assume they will achieve this by limiting his innings per start, skipping his rotation start every now and then, and or shutting him down in Sept or so!

A little surprised his Ks are down, as that's never been a problem in the past. But he's also had much better control thus far. It's still way early to dra any conclusions, but good stuff, low walks, and a groundball machine all seem to bode well.

• Like 1

worth holding even with the low K's? or throw him back and grab him again if he's still out there for next time around 

5 minutes ago, paper_boi said:

worth holding even with the low K's? or throw him back and grab him again if he's still out there for next time around 

He has an under 1 ERA and under 1 WHIP after 5 games (3 GS) and 19 2/3 IP.  If you're still thinking of dropping him with those numbers, good luck in your league.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, MrBrown said:

He has an under 1 ERA and under 1 WHIP after 5 games (3 GS) and 19 2/3 IP.  If you're still thinking of dropping him with those numbers, good luck in your league.

he's not really getting strikeouts...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Guys...I know it looks like a Fried as in Fried chicken, but it's pronounced Freed. Not Fried-day or Fried chicken, but you can Let Fried-dom Ring 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bigfische said:

Guys...I know it looks like a Fried as in Fried chicken, but it's pronounced Freed. Not Fried-day or Fried chicken, but you can Let Fried-dom Ring 

Some Atlanta bars will start serving Friedom Fries soon if they haven't already. Comes with 3 kinds of melted cheese and jalapenos.

• Like 3

Great outing. Didn't deserve that last earned run, but whatever 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Love hearing ARod compare him to prime Zito, the curve is for real

What a great comparison. That curve is totally Zito esq. 

28 minutes ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

Is he sticking around and/or is he on a pitch count this season?

i cant imagine them letting him go over 140-150 Innings.