WTP333

Max Fried 2019 Outlook

On 4/23/2019 at 7:41 PM, cornerback said:

i cant imagine them letting him go over 140-150 Innings.

I think I remember seeing a range above that but I can’t find the source.

10 minutes ago, bgar15 said:

Most people showing him the bench tonight?

Nah.  Col on the road isn’t the same team as they are at home.  Start with confidence...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bgar15 said:

Most people showing him the bench tonight?

Why? Anything can happen of course, but the Rockies aren’t scary at all on the road. ATL is favored. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rockies are averaging 2.9 runs per game on the road this season. This is one of the better matchups Fried will get.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Impressive outing last night. He does not walk a lot of batters.

He showed flashes last year of how good his stuff was. I am glad he is getting and capitalizing on his opportunity now.

As others have pointed out, this kid is FOR REAL. His curve ball is filthy, he hits spots and he pitches with a ton of confidence. I would advise everyone who doesn't currently own Fried to make a play for him today and buy high. I personally traded a high end closer (chapman) for him straight up in one league last week. This kid has top 5-10 SP potential ROS. 

Lolol Top 5-10 SP ROS? So he’s in the same category as guys like Snell Paxton Thor Carrasco type pitchers? Let’s slow down....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terminator10 said:

Lolol Top 5-10 SP ROS? So he’s in the same category as guys like Snell Paxton Thor Carrasco type pitchers? Let’s slow down....

Potential being the key word here. If you take a look at the consensus top 10-15 SPs pre season you'll find names like Flaherty, Taillon, Berrios, Corbin etc. From what I've seen during Fried's outings I certainly believe he has what it takes to sit amongst guys of that caliber when all is said and done barring a total loss of command/moxie. Again, its just my opinion, and I certainly could be wrong but as a former pitcher I trust my gut/eye test for the most part when it comes to pitching and from where I'm sitting Frieds stuff looks very legit. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Potential being the key word here. If you take a look at the consensus top 10-15 SPs pre season you'll find names like Flaherty, Taillon, Berrios, Corbin etc. From what I've seen during Fried's outings I certainly believe he has what it takes to sit amongst guys of that caliber when all is said and done barring a total loss of command/moxie. Again, its just my opinion, and I certainly could be wrong but as a former pitcher I trust my gut/eye test for the most part when it comes to pitching and from where I'm sitting Frieds stuff looks very legit. 

I 1000% agree. Kid just has it. I was saying that the other day. Hyped to find 2 longterm keepers in he and dozier this year.

lol I hate that I held out hope for this guy for the past 2 seasons and I've somehow ended up with 0 shares of him once he actually broke out 😑

1 minute ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

lol I hate that I held out hope for this guy for the past 2 seasons and I've somehow ended up with 0 shares of him once he actually broke out 😑

I hear you man. I had so many shares early and his development just was real slow and now I barely have any shares of him...

Lefties can really take a long time to get it all dialed in. I like what I have seen thus far, but can no way get down with his ceiling being anything near what has been tossed around here...I love that his command has really sharpened but I am not altogether sold there yet. He also is mostly getting by on 2 pitches--yes they are very good but he needs to establish that 3rd offering more. 

• Like 2

It not so much the stuff. It's his attitude. Heard him interviewed and he just has it. He seems like he takes the game very seriously and he talks very intelligently. Almost reminds me of a maddux or glavin type. If he can put it all together, I could see him being the ace of the braves for a long time. 

21 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I love that his command has really sharpened but I am not altogether sold there yet. He also is mostly getting by on 2 pitches--yes they are very good but he needs to establish that 3rd offering more. 

I think this is could show itself as he starts to face lineups for the second time.  He gave up 5 hits 0 earned against Colorado the first time in Colorado then gave up 7 hits and 4 earned against them at home the 2nd time.  Being a 2 pitch guy really allows batters to guess easily and could lead to a spike in hard hit balls.

1 hour ago, intothedarkness said:

It not so much the stuff. It's his attitude. Heard him interviewed and he just has it. He seems like he takes the game very seriously and he talks very intelligently. Almost reminds me of a maddux or glavin type. If he can put it all together, I could see him being the ace of the braves for a long time. 

Right! That’s what I was saying earlier when I noted his “moxie”. I’ve watched him get into a bit of trouble and be unphased. Still battled and pitched his game while seeming Uber focused. 

20 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Dont get me wrong I really like him too. What I find exciting is he has good fastball command along with a wipeout pitch his curveball and another good developing pitch his slider. With all 3 he can be really good.

But durability and consistency go a long away for pitchers. He has the stuff but he hasn’t done it as consistently or has a good history of being durable. That’s my main concern 

Anyone else nearly have a coronary watching this guy slide head first in to home as a freakin' pinch runner?

3 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Anyone else nearly have a coronary watching this guy slide head first in to home as a freakin' pinch runner?

really? wow that would be just my luck this year. so dumb. 

Hit in pitching hand by comebacker and pulled from the game.  Hope he’s ok....

2 minutes ago, herschel said:

Hit in pitching hand by comebacker and pulled from the game.  Hope he’s ok....

1st Kluber and now Fried...worst luck ever for me

Posted (edited)

Contusion on left hand. Considered day-to-day....

Mark Bowman‏Verified account @mlbbowman 6m6 minutes ago

More

The Braves announced X-rays of Fried's left hand were negative. He's day-to-day.

Edited by Z06vette
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

Contusion on left hand. Considered day-to-day....

Mark Bowman‏Verified account @mlbbowman 6m6 minutes ago

More

The Braves announced X-rays of Fried's left hand were negative. He's day-to-day.

Huge huge sigh of relief....

Edited by The_Real_Deal
  • Like 1

I'd guess he goes on the IL tomorrow. If you push him back a day or two, he'd only really miss one start. Since they had to get 8 innings out of the bullpen tonight, the Braves will be looking for a fresh arm or two.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 1:33 PM, intothedarkness said:

I 1000% agree. Kid just has it. I was saying that the other day. Hyped to find 2 longterm keepers in he and dozier this year.

Not sure I’d count on Dozier doing this long term. Hunter Dozier that is.  If I owned him I think I’d be trying to sell high.  He’s decent, but I am very skeptical that he’s as good as he’s played thus far this season.