dschddny

New England Patriots 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

So what do the Pats do at TE now?  Assuming they can't steal away Jared Cook from the Saints, do you think they draft one of the Iowa TE's Hockenson or Fant in the first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pats need talent at WR and TE badly now.  Gronk waiting till after free agency started to make his decision definitely tied the Pats hands to a degree in free agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, simanium said:

The Pats need talent at WR and TE badly now.  Gronk waiting till after free agency started to make his decision definitely tied the Pats hands to a degree in free agency.

 

No it didn’t. They went after Cook, didn’t work out. Now they have the draft to prepare for. What did Gronk “waiting til now” (which he deserved to take his time anyway) prevent them from doing exactly?

Edited by ThreadKiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So now the rest of the AFC have a legitimate shot to win the conference. . .THE RIVERS ERA IS UPON US😂

oh wait the REID ERA IS UPON US. . .

 

Wait a sec the WATSON. . .LUCK. . .HARBAUGH. . .JET--nope. . . ERA IS UPON US🤷‍♂️

Edited by dashoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thebadferret said:

Irv Smith Jr ?

 

This is who I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

 

This is who I want.

 

Irv Smith with one of the seconds

Will Grier with one of the thirds

I'd really like to see this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or just pick up one of the 6 TE's Ravens seem to carry every season. . .😝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thebadferret said:

 

Irv Smith with one of the seconds

Will Grier with one of the thirds

I'd really like to see this.

 

Found an article that agrees with you.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chowderandchampions.com/2019/03/22/new-england-patriots-2019-nfl-draft-will-grier-perfect-fit-team/amp/

 

I don't think I know enough about Grier to give an opinion, but they should def be looking at QB this draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gronk thread got locked in a hurry huh? Not sure why we can't talk about him a bit, it is March and the boards aren't hopping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, they picked the right time in terms of draft class to have the TE need I guess.    

Not much out there in terms of FA's, but i'll throw an idea out there-  Cameron Brate?  His salary is now guaranteed but its essentially a one year 7 mil deal.  Pats can manage that, and probably dont have to give up much to trade for him.   I'd still be drafting a guy for sure, maybe even two, but Brate at least gives them something to use for one year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Gronk thread got locked in a hurry huh? Not sure why we can't talk about him a bit, it is March and the boards aren't hopping.

 

If that's what people want to talk about, let them. It's all sports related. Plus there are fantasy implications to him retiring...In my opinion it's kind of silly when threads that bring traffic and discussion are the ones that get controlled or locked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

 

Found an article that agrees with you.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chowderandchampions.com/2019/03/22/new-england-patriots-2019-nfl-draft-will-grier-perfect-fit-team/amp/

 

I don't think I know enough about Grier to give an opinion, but they should def be looking at QB this draft.

 

This here is a very nice bit on Grier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKy9NbJiVQI

 

41 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Well, they picked the right time in terms of draft class to have the TE need I guess.    

Not much out there in terms of FA's, but i'll throw an idea out there-  Cameron Brate?  His salary is now guaranteed but its essentially a one year 7 mil deal.  Pats can manage that, and probably dont have to give up much to trade for him.   I'd still be drafting a guy for sure, maybe even two, but Brate at least gives them something to use for one year.  

 

Also that would make Howard the TE in Tempa which I assume other fantasy players also would welcome ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, thebadferret said:

Also that would make Howard the TE in Tempa which I assume other fantasy players also would welcome ;)

 

Indeed, plus I'm in for the extra Godwin targets.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

If that's what people want to talk about, let them. It's all sports related. Plus there are fantasy implications to him retiring...In my opinion it's kind of silly when threads that bring traffic and discussion are the ones that get controlled or locked.

That's the 2018 one. If someone made a 2019 it would stay up I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

That's the 2018 one. If someone made a 2019 it would stay up I think.

 

Keyphrase: "I think." Yes, possibly, but the point still stands with regards to threads being closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

Keyphrase: "I think." Yes, possibly, but the point still stands with regards to threads being closed.

They have to close 2018 threads though

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

They have to close 2018 threads though

 

No kidding. My point still stands though about thread control and closing because last I checked, threads weren't only controlled/locked when the year becomes outdated. Let's move on though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

No it didn’t. They went after Cook, didn’t work out. Now they have the draft to prepare for. What did Gronk “waiting til now” (which he deserved to take his time anyway) prevent them from doing exactly?

Cook didn't want to go to New England because he was concerned about playing time behind Gronk.  Obviously this wouldn't have been a roadblock if Gronk had announced retirement earlier.  Additionally, the Pats would have had an additional $9 million in cap space that would have helped them in their pursuit of Humphries and other free agents.  It definitely affected their ability to make decisions in free agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simanium said:

Cook didn't want to go to New England because he was concerned about playing time behind Gronk.  Obviously this wouldn't have been a roadblock if Gronk had announced retirement earlier.  Additionally, the Pats would have had an additional $9 million in cap space that would have helped them in their pursuit of Humphries and other free agents.  It definitely affected their ability to make decisions in free agency.

 

I find it hard to believe they would have overpaid for Humphries by getting into a bidding war. I'll go along with what they've consistently done and what I hear throughout the week on the Patriots podcasts I listen to regularly over what ESPN heads say (Pats desperately wanting Humphries, etc). Maybe the Cook situation panned out differently, but I'm not sure it would have. All speculation on your part.

 

What other FAs did they "lose out on"? They werent going to overpay for Flowers, Brown, Shelton, 'Dola, etc. So who exactly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wow, Gronk retiring really blows for the Patriots. I know it has to rub Brady the wrong way but injuries and stiffness have been tugging at Gronk for a long time and now he's looking forward to taking a load off and getting a nice massage. I'll bet Bob Kraft is truly sorry to see him go but Gronk's 5 minutes are up and it's time to throw in the towel I guess.

Edited by FreakFries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be surprised if they go after a high round draft pick at TE or trade for an established TE. I think they do what they have been doing with WR/RB for years, take something off the discard pile and make it shine. Someone like an O'Leary or Seals-Jones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

I would be surprised if they go after a high round draft pick at TE or trade for an established TE. I think they do what they have been doing with WR/RB for years, take something off the discard pile and make it shine. Someone like an O'Leary or Seals-Jones.

They signed Matt lacosse st 2 years, 4+ mill. Could fill in the TE roles while they draft a TE later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, thebadferret said:

Irv Smith Jr ?

I like him the best, and the question is will he be there at 32?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...