dschddny

New England Patriots 2019 Outlook

21 minutes ago, sSektor said:

The same defense didn't hold an elite offense to 3 points in the SB last year or anything

They are not by any means the "same defense". 

Here’s who they lost:

DE Trey Flowers (70.18% of snaps)

DT Malcom Brown (43.72% of snaps)

DE Adrian Clayborn (30.49% of snaps)

DE Keionta Davis (17.55% of snaps)

CB Eric Rowe (13.04% of snaps)

DE Derek Rivers (7.48 % of snaps)

CB Keion Crossen (3.74% of snaps)

Here’s who they gained:

LB Jamie Collins (75.71% of snaps)

DE Michael Bennett (37.85% of snaps)

LB Shilique Calhoun (34.70% of snaps)

DE Chase Winovich (31.86% of snaps)

SS Terrence Brooks (27.13% of snaps)

DT Byron Cowart (5.05% of snaps)

CB Joejuan Williams (2.52% of snaps)

1 minute ago, MSkibisky said:

They are not by any means the "same defense". 

Here’s who they lost:

DE Trey Flowers (70.18% of snaps)

DT Malcom Brown (43.72% of snaps)

DE Adrian Clayborn (30.49% of snaps)

DE Keionta Davis (17.55% of snaps)

CB Eric Rowe (13.04% of snaps)

DE Derek Rivers (7.48 % of snaps)

CB Keion Crossen (3.74% of snaps)

Here’s who they gained:

LB Jamie Collins (75.71% of snaps)

DE Michael Bennett (37.85% of snaps)

LB Shilique Calhoun (34.70% of snaps)

DE Chase Winovich (31.86% of snaps)

SS Terrence Brooks (27.13% of snaps)

DT Byron Cowart (5.05% of snaps)

CB Joejuan Williams (2.52% of snaps)

They got better. Collins is filling in admirably for Flowers and they retained most of the elite secondary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Next up, NY Jets.  Another big week.  This was easy, the division and schedule is so weak.  It's money in the bank.  Between the Pats Def and Dalvin Cook I haven't lost.  I even have the Bears Defense on the bench.

3 minutes ago, TommyKramer said:

This is like having a cheat code

I was thinking it's like having another RB1, but it's more like having a second QB1.  Not too many RB1s can keep up with the New England defense. Well, I'm off to plan for next season, since I don't have the New England defense and am already toast after facing them last night.

Lots of jinxing in this thread. I hate it LOL. Nothing is guaranteed and it's very possible Pats D could get 5 points vs NYJ. Plus, the cake part of the schedule is about to end after Cleveland. 

Just now, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Lots of jinxing in this thread. I hate it LOL. Nothing is guaranteed and it's very possible Pats D could get 5 points vs NYJ. Plus, the cake part of the schedule is about to end after Cleveland. 

lol you must be new here

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 99-percent-sure said:

I was thinking it's like having another RB1, but it's more like having a second QB1.  Not too many RB1s can keep up with the New England defense. Well, I'm off to plan for next season, since I don't have the New England defense and am already toast after facing them last night.

Image result for when the germans bombed pearl harbor

• Haha 1

The secondary is elite - it helps the D-line tremendously.  Their linebacker core is probably one of the best in the NFL and all three playing at a high level (Hightower/Collins/Van Noy).

10 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

Their schedule is always easy and their stacked D just makes it unfair. I mean Bills, Dolphins, and Jets every year. What a pathetic division. That is nearly a lock for 6 wins right there alone. Go 5-5 rest of schedule and BOOM playoffs!

Since 2001 excluding this season:

Pats record vs AFC East is 86-24

Pats record vs everyone else is 134-44

Yea the division has sucked but they've slapped around everyone else at nearly an identical clip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Balt/Philly/KC, that’s it for NFL opponents this season remainder, and one comes after a bye.

1 hour ago, fingers said:

Yea the division has sucked but they've slapped around everyone else at nearly an identical clip.

While that's true, there has also been virtually no pressure from any other team getting double digit wins to threaten a division title.

That pressure may have actually benefitted them given the way Brady and BB are wired, who knows.  But it is nice to know you've got at least one home game in Foxboro in your back pocket.

5 hours ago, WayneFontes said:

19-0 is a real possibility this year.

I honestly don't think that is a possibility. Their offense can't overcome any poor outings this season. There will inevitably be a game or two where some things don't go their way and they end up in a hole that the offense can't overcome and the defense can't stop. And there is almost always one or two division games that end up being really rough for the Patriots every season.

Still think their defense is a fantasy stud ROS.

Playing real teams or not, this fantasy defense is carrying fantasy teams. They are already close to the amount of points Chicago scored in the whole season. Yeah 2019 Pats D will probably outscore the leading 2018 D in half the games. 

11 hours ago, fingers said:

Yup, and to be fair like @mrblonde1984 points out the AFC East has been competitive at times.  Both the Jets and the Dolphins have had double digit win seasons 5 times since 2000.  Basically the AFC East was competitive up until 2012 or so.  I think there was one good Dolphins and Jets seasons after that but they were mostly fluky iirc (the Jets Fitzpatrick season and Gase’s 1 good year with the fins)  

Edited by Iron-cock

11 hours ago, WayneFontes said:

The real stumbling block is KC in the regular season and the playoffs.  Maybe Baltimore or Philly if they play a turnover free game. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if a lesser team picked them off at some point either,  The injuries are mounting. 

Edited by Iron-cock

This defense is incredible. And before I see "but look who they played" posts, look at the opponents the 2000 Ravens played. It included legends such as Tim Couch, Jay Fiedler, and a bunch of other trashbags.

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2019 at 10:10 PM, WayneFontes said:

Their offense isn't good enough 

• Thanks 1

Tougher run of games coming up for the Pats DST especially after their bye but I kinda feel you have to stick with them until they stop producing.

This run has been absolutely amazing but I'm afraid it's come to an end. Still gotta be thrilled with the defense's production, but they'd definitely be a sell high for me assuming you could get decent value. 

6 hours ago, mrblonde1984 said:

This defense is incredible. And before I see "but look who they played" posts, look at the opponents the 2000 Ravens played. It included legends such as Tim Couch, Jay Fiedler, and a bunch of other trashbags.

Vinny Testaverde threw for 481 yards on them...on 69 attempts.  🤣

On 10/11/2019 at 11:05 AM, sSektor said:

They got better. Collins is filling in admirably for Flowers and they retained most of the elite secondary.

Collins plays a different position than Flowers did so how’s he “filling in for Flowers”? Do you watch the games?

Edited by ThreadKiller

On 10/12/2019 at 6:32 AM, HarambeLives said:

One day they’ll play a real team. 

And they’ll win 28-14 or 28-21 instead of 35-3? This train of thought makes no sense. They are absolutely dismantling teams that were put on their schedule out of their control. What more do people want?

Edited by ThreadKiller