Sign in to follow this  
fletch44

Lucas Giolito 2019 Outlook

Only 3% owned in Yahoo. How the mighty prospects have fallen.

He's still only 24. I'm not touching him but he's still someone I want to keep an eye on early in the season. If things click for him his first couple starts, I would speculate.

https://670thescore.radio.com/white-sox-lucas-giolito-plenty-left-prove-2019

• Like 1

His velocity was up a decent amount this spring so I'll be keeping an eye on him. His results were not good though. But spring training and all that.

Great first start, at least on paper (didn't get to catch the game). Does anyone who watched it have any insights?

Posted (edited)

Looked great. Lost focus after losing the no-no. Hard to say much about ROS bc he was facing the Royals and we really need a larger sample from him. Still, if he can get his breaking stuff over he will be a very cheap source of QS and might even get to 9k/9. White Sox have a weak-a** rotation so will need someone to eat innings. Why not Gio?

Worth monitoring or grabbing in a deeper league before someone else does. High ceiling WW guys decide leagues every year. 

Edited by sleepysock
  • Like 1

Didn't see this one coming, but it does show the potential in this guy. I am not a buyer until I see it over a longer sustained period of time. 

4 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Didn't see this one coming, but it does show the potential in this guy. I am not a buyer until I see it over a longer sustained period of time. 

Yeah it's hard for me to trust him after how bad he was last year (worst qualified starter in baseball), I grabbed him though

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

Yeah it's hard for me to trust him after how bad he was last year (worst qualified starter in baseball), I grabbed him though

I can see why you did. His control in cold conditions was very good. The first hitter of the game, Whitt, walked on four pitches, not sure any were even close, but he locked it down after that. 

One thing I was impressed with today was Gios change up, I had not seen him throw it that well in the past. If it stays that good, he could be a nice sleeper. But he could also come out next game and walk 6 over 3, but dude is only 24 years old, has a good arm and good stuff, so it's surely not a bad idea to scoop him up. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The last time he faced Merrifield, he made him look like a single a hitter. It was impressive. 

Edited by boomzdaddy

He completely changed his mechanics last year to this year - arm angle is completely different.  He's always had ++ stuff - this new arm angle ideally will give him better control over his pitches/spotting his fastball.  He looked OUTSTANDING today in putting it all together.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

I want nothing to do with Giolito either, but the kind of thinking above doesn't work out in the long run. If you wait until a guy has proven he's good over a "longer sustained period of time" you won't be able to get him free, and there won't be many sellers period.

You have to be willing to roster at least a few unproven guys if you want to hit on any breakouts.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, cs3 said:

I want nothing to do with Giolito either, but the kind of thinking above doesn't work out in the long run. If you wait until a guy has proven he's good over a "longer sustained period of time" you won't be able to get him free, and there won't be many sellers period.

You have to be willing to roster at least a few unproven guys if you want to hit on any breakouts.

He was #1 on my "NEVER AGAIN" list last season, and just like that he's back on my roster. Might sit him for a few starts though

4 hours ago, cs3 said:

Pretty much. If you want to win your league bc you're the guy that picked up a Carlos Quentin or Jose Bautista in their breakout season, you have to do it early and hold through an inevitable rough stretch. Giolito, Pablo Lopez, Hampson, etc., these guys gotta be rostered in April.

• Like 3

Good test tomorrow vs Seattle

4 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Good test tomorrow vs Seattle

Indeed! Looking forward to it.

Posted (edited)

guy is about to fall off the mound after every pitch

can't believe I forgot how much I hate watching this guy 

Edited by loro1991

So... are we back off LG?

Had a waiver claim, but he didn’t look great. Same old bad to mediocre

21 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

So... are we back off LG?

Had a waiver claim, but he didn’t look great. Same old bad to mediocre

Yep, I'm out. I will need to see a lot more for a long time before moving him into my team from the ww.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Same ole Giolito, teases you, hooks you and then pulls you out of the water and destroys you.

Edited by DJSatane
  • Like 1

I'm sure I'll regret hopping on the bandwagon again, but...

Am I crazy for getting interested in this guy again? Throwing 93-96 last couple starts (velo is the best it's been since '16) with a wicked slider. Some really nice swings and misses in there. SSS (23.2 IP), but in addition to velo, whiffs (about 30%, that's Chris Sale career-average territory) and spin are way up from his past few seasons when he was topping out at 92 and couldn't buy a swinging strike to save his life. If he harnesses his command a little bit he could be a really nice streaming option or rosterable in deeper leagues. The White Sox actually have a league average offense and a reliable backend with Herrera/Colome, so the potential for wins is there. When he's able to get ahead by locating his fastball up in the zone or on the corners, it's game over because his slider has become absolutely unhittable -- 60+% whiff, .077 BAA, .112 WOBA. Problem is he still puts a lot of fastballs and curveballs in the fat part of the plate and his changeup is nothing to write home about, but I'm intrigued. This is not the Giolito of year's past. Question is just how much better he'll be. Uptick in velo and a putaway pitch can only go so far if that's literally all you have in the plus column. Still, why not trot him out against the weak sisters of the AL Central, where you've got 3 of the 6 worst offenses in the AL, including the bottom 2? If he looks good again in his next start, I'm buying. 

2 hours ago, sleepysock said:

I'm sure I'll regret hopping on the bandwagon again, but...

Am I crazy for getting interested in this guy again? Throwing 93-96 last couple starts (velo is the best it's been since '16) with a wicked slider. Some really nice swings and misses in there. SSS (23.2 IP), but in addition to velo, whiffs (about 30%, that's Chris Sale career-average territory) and spin are way up from his past few seasons when he was topping out at 92 and couldn't buy a swinging strike to save his life. If he harnesses his command a little bit he could be a really nice streaming option or rosterable in deeper leagues. The White Sox actually have a league average offense and a reliable backend with Herrera/Colome, so the potential for wins is there. When he's able to get ahead by locating his fastball up in the zone or on the corners, it's game over because his slider has become absolutely unhittable -- 60+% whiff, .077 BAA, .112 WOBA. Problem is he still puts a lot of fastballs and curveballs in the fat part of the plate and his changeup is nothing to write home about, but I'm intrigued. This is not the Giolito of year's past. Question is just how much better he'll be. Uptick in velo and a putaway pitch can only go so far if that's literally all you have in the plus column. Still, why not trot him out against the weak sisters of the AL Central, where you've got 3 of the 6 worst offenses in the AL, including the bottom 2? If he looks good again in his next start, I'm buying. 

You are not the only one.

Giolito is one of the pitchers that I put on top of the list when it comes to 'post-hype breakouts' (along with E-Rod, Castillo, Rodon, Smith, Boyd, etc.)

Not 'very optimistic' with it... But I still believe Giolito has a chance of breaking out in a similar fashion to Glasnow

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Did he look as good as the line suggests?

Watched most of it

Positives: Good command of his fastball and his changeup looked great today. Final line was great as well.

Negatives: He didn't look as filthy as he has before this year, mostly due to just being a 2 pitch pitcher FB + Changeup. Didn't generate a whole lot of swgStr 11 or 12, which isn't bad at all, but not as good as 8Ks would suggest. I would've liked to see his slider used more and I think thats the step he needs to take to truly become a good pitcher. Velocity was solid but not 1 tick down from what I'd like to see from him.

Overall, it may seem like there were more negatives but it was still a great outing. Lack of command was his biggest problem this year and he had it today. But need to see more from Giolito before we can say hes trustworthy and out of the woods.

Edited by terminator10
  • Like 3