Sign in to follow this  
fletch44

Lucas Giolito 2019 Outlook

At the very least he seems like a solid streaming option.

5 minutes ago, B&F said:

At the very least he seems like a solid streaming option.

Yeah, he has the Jays next so that's an easy one. They are pathetic. 

14 hours ago, einstein2u said:

the fangraphs article caught my attention. i play in a 10 team H2H, where LG's point total is now nearly identical (between 1-2 points above or below) to jon gray, ross stripling and jack flaherty. i'm gonna give him a shot..... i'm dropping tyler skaggs so, i'm not risking a ton. 

He seems like one of those guys whose either going to pitch pretty well or pretty badly, just depends on if he shows up to the ballpark with his command or not. Will be interesting to see if he can string together 2-3 decent to solid starts in a row since he hasn't been able to thus far.

The problem with this guy over the past 2-4 years is super simple: if you aren't getting sufficient separation between your fastball and your change, and you're primarily a fastball/change pitcher, you're going to get crushed.  Now that his fastball is back up to 94-96, he's worth monitoring/streaming to see if he can keep it together.  I picked him up for his last game and I plan on streaming him at least one more.  

His fastball woes are truly bizarre.  Was he hiding an injury?  Did they f--- with his mechanics so badly that it took him two to three seasons to right the ship?  What the heck happened?  How do you go from an 80 grade fastball to a flat, BP fastball of 90-92, then this year he's back dancing in the mid 90s with no injury history to explain it?  

• Like 1

with giolito its all about him repeating his mechanics. when he’s in rhythm he’s almost lights out. his mechanics also allow his to hover in around 94 to 96mph on his fb. 

another weird dev is his curve used to be almost his best pitch.. plusplus according to some. now he cant throw it at all but have developed a pretty nice change. 

57 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

More like a GioSUPERSTUD amirite?

Walk, don't run, to pick this dude up if he's still on your wire. Everything I said a handful of posts above is true, but on top of that he's now flashing a putaway change that's -12mph off his greatly improved fastball. Everything I'm seeing is legit. 3.70 ERA, decent WHIP, and at least 1K/IP. Book it. In QS leagues especially, he's going to be a great bargain bin find.

Lots of Tigers, Indians, and Royals on the schedule.  Yummy.

• Like 3

Gets the Jays in a rematch the next time out. Sign me up.

• Like 1

Just imagine, last year he was statistically one of the worst starters in baseball.  And now the uptick in velocity to go along with what is obviously a very nice arsenal of secondary pitches.  Hell of a story.

• Like 1

This dude is still available in 40% of CBS leagues, which is just crazy. Even if the wheels fall off somewhere down the road, he has been killing it lately. And playing in the division he's playing, he should have a lot of decent-good matchups. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You guys convinced me...[...] hope we are right....future top prospect regaining form....interesting to say the least!

I really do like the fact that he plays in such a horrible division with great match-ups a plenty.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

27 minutes ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

You guys convinced me...[...] hope we are right....future top prospect regaining form....interesting to say the least!

I really do like the fact that he plays in such a horrible division with great match-ups a plenty.

All of this ^^ 

I am sucker for scooping up former "top prospects" that regain form. 

Love AL central Pitchers too (Not on the Tigers) 

One thing that will continue to be frustrating is when his curveball ends up in the strike zone, but umps call it a ball because they don’t know what to make of it.  He’s doing a decent job of limiting the walks, though.  BB/9 ratios in his last 4 starts: 3.38, 3.60, 3.68, 1.26

This guy has ace potential right now.  Yes I said that.

That changeup scares the heck out of me though.  It is not a circle change like most pitchers throw that just drops off the table.   It just sort of hangs in the strike zone and it looks like it is on a tee for the hitter to hit into the upper deck.

Apparently hitters can't pick it up.

• Like 1

This guy has always flashed his breakout potential only to come crashing back down to earth. 

Potential............there

Walks..........bountiful

K's............solid

division........terrible

added.............yep

confident............nope

yee.......haw

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, B&F said:

This guy has ace potential right now.  Yes I said that.

That changeup scares the heck out of me though.  It is not a circle change like most pitchers throw that just drops off the table.   It just sort of hangs in the strike zone and it looks like it is on a tee for the hitter to hit into the upper deck.

Apparently hitters can't pick it up.

The nice thing about the change is that it's so damn slow compared to the FB and does seem to look like his heater coming out of his hand given the way hitters are reacting to it. Deception is more important than location or even movement IMO. It's not like a hanging curve in the top of the zone that you can pick up immediately and adjust to even if you're sitting dead red waiting for a 100mph heater. 

On 5/12/2019 at 5:18 PM, AnonymousRob said:

Yo that freeze frame of his delivery on that article doesn't even look real the way his legs are😂...that just gave me new context on how Kershaw's bad back inhibits him.  There's no way in the world you can comfortably get into that kind of a position with a bad back lol.

Can't believe I'm being sold on this guy again, but you never know when the breakout can happen so you just gotta be a glutton for fantasy punishment.  I mean, inevitably he HAS to breakout one of these years right??? 😄

• Like 1

I grabbed him off the WW this week based on this thread, so I hope to see some dividends as early as tonight from him. In a keeper league, I still like the upside. 

• Like 1

I added LG in H/H Points league last week probably wont use him unless he has a double start week  or goes on a huge run

Really like where he is right now.  Maintened his velocity gains yesterday.  Reminding me of Greg Maddux with the fastball, curve, and changeup all being plus.  Not overpowering but does need to be. 

Should be owned in all leagues.

• Haha 1

The rare complete game non-quality start (and yet only gave up 1 run)

• Like 1