Sign in to follow this  
fletch44

Lucas Giolito 2019 Outlook

His control was off yesterday and he still managed to hang in there and keep his team in the lead. Would like to see this more against better lineups but after years he's finally starting to show signs.

He's beaten the helpless Blue Jays twice.  The true test comes vs Houston.  If he throws well..he becomes a must own pitcher.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

He's beaten the helpless Blue Jays twice.  The true test comes vs Houston.  If he throws well..he becomes a must own pitcher.

If he goes 7 strong against the stros then he's earned set it forget it status IMO.

6 hours ago, sleepysock said:

If he goes 7 strong against the stros then he's earned set it forget it status IMO.

Lol. that's a pretty high bar 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, midlip said:

yeah right, i'm hoping for 6IP and 2-4 runs allowed....and a W of course

I will not be rolling the dice with him against the 'Stros, but given that division I think he can be a waiver wire gem for the entire final 65% of the season. 

The Astros team OPS is .860, but they’re already without Altuve and Springer is gimpy.  Tough call, but I’ll likely sit Giolito.

Even if he gets lit up, he’s still a must-own starter at this point.  

Potential upcoming starts after Houston:

KC, CLE, at KC

Followed by NYY, at TEX, and MIN, though.  But maybe the Twins will come back down to Earth by then.  They currently have a team OPS of .840, which is utterly preposterous.  No disrespect though, they are stacked with .500 SLG caliber hitters.

So that mid-to-late June stretch will be crucial.

• Thanks 1

I feel like LG is a waiver wire pickup gem. He may not be "set it and forget it" like verlander or gerrit cole but, you hopefully have enough other options on your bench that you can sub LG out for a lesser arm on your roster with a better matchup, vs, say, the marlins or giants. I benched him this week in favor of montas vs the indians, but will have him back in there vs the royals and indians next week

also, looks like corbin martin is starting for the stros tonight so, better chance that the sox may be able to score some runs as well. 

Have to go with the hot hand here.  (famous last words)

Today will be the start that might define Giolito's value in fantasy.

IF he turns out to be a stud tonight, he's going to enter the 'legit SP 2 (top 30)' conversation. Important day for him and his fantasy owners.

He was out there in most of my leagues and I was listening to a Pod right around the end of spring and host said a scout had told him that Giolito was looking like he did when he was a top prospect.  

9 minutes ago, jhsong916 said:

Today will be the start that might define Giolito's value in fantasy.

IF he turns out to be a stud tonight, he's going to enter the 'legit SP 2 (top 30)' conversation. Important day for him and his fantasy owners.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing.  Game is on MLB Network tonight too.  Eagerly awaiting.

GL to us.

I'm ahead of max IP pace in a tough roto league, and there for me it's a very easy sit tonight for Giolito. He is approaching start your stud territory, and he could twirl a QS and possibly get a W tonight, but even if I miss out on it I'll be thrilled for the harbinger such a performance will be in our eyes.

I wasn't going to start him, but no Springer or Altuve?   I probably still shouldn't start him, but what the hell.  

#YOLO

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Overlord said:

I wasn't going to start him, but no Springer or Altuve?   I probably still shouldn't start him, but what the hell.  

#YOLO

Doing the same. Lots of back-ups in the lineup tonight. 

Yoda.jpg

15 minutes ago, djmax101 said:

Doing the same. Lots of back-ups in the lineup tonight. 

Yoda.jpg

Their 5-9 isn't much of anything, but 1-4 can still really hurt you. I'm still rolling with him nonetheless.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:44 AM, midlip said:

Well set-it forget-it is a pretty limited tier. Marquez is probably the "worst" pitcher I would put on that list. But if Gio can do well on the road tonight and with the division he's playing in, he's right there IMO.

Man, he's touching 97 with ease.

• Like 1

To those of you who took the risk, I salute you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/20/2019 at 2:09 AM, sleepysock said:

gotta love that he did exactly that. 7 strong. 3 hits allowed. 6k's.

Who would’ve thunk that Glasnow and Giolito would turn their careers around in the same year?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, twentyone said:

gotta love that he did exactly that. 7 strong. 3 hits allowed. 6k's.

Correction: 8 strong, no runs, 8ks, just one runner touched second base tonight.

Dude's a straight up ace.

• Like 1