Sign in to follow this  
fletch44

Lucas Giolito 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, !!! said:

So this guy is a budding ace now?

1 more good start and his price tag will change.

16 minutes ago, jhsong916 said:

I think it began to shift after the HOU start and it's now pretty set. Any savvy owner can see with two minutes of research that he's now throwing 95-97 with a couple unhittable offspeed pitches. He's also getting two tons of buzz now from every fantasy outlet out there. 

This is nuts.  Been playing fantasy a while.  Can't recall an ace ever being on the waiver wire.

Posted (edited)

[...] LG is just in beast mode, and in the AL central, you gotta love his potential for the remainder of the year. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

6 minutes ago, B&F said:

This is nuts.  Been playing fantasy a while.  Can't recall an ace ever being on the waiver wire.

Doubt it. Klubot, Morton, Bauer, Clevinger, Ceuto....were all waiver wire fodders once. You sound like a rookie.

• Haha 1

He's getting treated only as a solid SP2 because his name is 'Giolito', the man who had a 6.13 ERA last year.

If he was a rising prospect who just got up to the big leagues this year, his value would be close to that of Buehler, Syndergaard, etc.

IMO, one more good start will let people finally erase that memory of 2018. He's on the verge of becoming a bonafide fantasy ace in people's minds.

• Like 1

He has Max Scherzer's fastball, Corey Kluber's curveball, and Greg Maddux's changeup.

5 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

buy high or sell now?

If you can, do both. 

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, B&F said:

Bruh wat. This year alone saw guys like Paddack, Caleb Smith, Ryu, etc. begin the year on wires.

• Haha 1

Apparently, he didn't realize today was a 6:40pm start, and as a result didn't get onto the field until 6:24pm. Didn't go through his complete warmup, hence the rough first inning.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, High&Inside said:

Apparently, he didn't realize today was a 6:40pm start, and as a result didn't get onto the field until 6:24pm. Didn't go through his complete warmup, hence the rough first inning.

100% guarantee this is the fault of the man who still bats Yonder Alonso cleanup and calls for bunts like it's 1907. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

If I’m not mistaken, there was no true set time for the start of the game. It was starting at a pre determined amount of time after the completion of yesterday’s postponement.

Posted (edited)

I'm no expert, but do you guys see a some noticeable rise in his fastball in the 5th K and onward? Ok, maybe not literal rise, but most elevated fastballs I see don't seem to have that kind of jump

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/royals-vs-white-sox/2019/05/28/567289#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=567289

Edited by UberRebel

Just read he hasn't given up a run after the 3rd inning in over 6 weeks. 2nd and 3rd time through the order has been no issue for him to date. The more I dig the more I want to start overpaying a little to grab him now in any league I don't already own him. 

1 hour ago, jhsong916 said:

Why after 1 more start?  Seems kind of arbitrary.

Like, who's saying, "Yea, I saw what he did at Houston, but I wanna see him get Cleveland at home before I really make up my mind."

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

What kind of innings total do you guys expect to see from him, assuming he stays healthy?

He pitched 173 innings last year.

12 minutes ago, Macgregor said:

What kind of innings total do you guys expect to see from him, assuming he stays healthy?

He pitched 173 innings last year.

180-190?  Have to figure he wouldn't go any less as long as he stays healthy.  If he can continue efficient pitch counts, they seem to be fine with him going late into games thus far.

How in the world is he only rostered in 40% of leagues on ESPN? I added him a week or so ago. Already have league mates wanting to make a deal. lol, nah, I'm good for now guys.