Sign in to follow this  
fletch44

Lucas Giolito 2019 Outlook

9 minutes ago, Watermock said:

How in the world is he only rostered in 40% of leagues on ESPN? I added him a week or so ago. Already have league mates wanting to make a deal. lol, nah, I'm good for now guys. 

Most of the teams on ESPN are abandoned for one reason or another.

Posted (edited)

5th most fantasy points amongst all SPs. watch out verlander...we're coming for you

Edited by ghostdragon

Sometimes a lottery ticket wins the jackpot.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Remember, he's gonna be facing these punchless AL Central offenses all year long...

tenor.gif

Edited by largeshot
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Next start in KC, and the rest of the month is Yankees at home, at Wrigley, at Arlington, at Fenway, and the Twins at home.  He won’t get another easy start until July.

The fact that the White Sox are 29-30 is simply miraculous.  Consider the rotation behind Giolito - Lopez/Nova/Covey/Banuelos

3 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Consider the rotation behind Giolito - Lopez/Nova/Covey/Banuelos

No, I most certainly will not.  And you can't make me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gio1337o. 

What a great move for the White Sox to get him. I think he is ranked number 1 for pitchers in my league. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Next start in KC, and the rest of the month is Yankees at home, at Wrigley, at Arlington, at Fenway, and the Twins at home.  He won’t get another easy start until July.

The fact that the White Sox are 29-30 is simply miraculous.  Consider the rotation behind Giolito - Lopez/Nova/Covey/Banuelos

Thanks for that.

I am 1% worried really.  That changeup is going to give fits to all these sluggers around the league.

1 hour ago, B&F said:

Thanks for that.

I am 1% worried really.  That changeup is going to give fits to all these sluggers around the league.

Plus even if they’ve been extensively scouting him, this is the first time they get to actually see new Giolito with a high 90s four seamer instead of a sinker, a put away floating change up, and a borderline unhittable slider. Edge typically goes to the pitcher in these situations. It’s like facing a rookie with hot stuff who happens to have the book on you to boot. 

Unless his command completely deserts him, Gio is a must start ROS. I’m sliding him ahead of Marquez (coors) and Smith (Marlins effect) and into my top 20-25. 

4 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Doesn't hurt when they've played the Indians a lot already.  I think they may literally be the only team Nova has not been destroyed by this season.  He looks like a totally different pitcher against them and it's embarrassing.  Still, you are right.  It's amazing that they are near .500 with one pitcher.

Honestly, 3 of those starts scare me (Yankees, Boston, and Minnesota).  The Cubs suck right now, and Texas will likely still be without Gallo then, so they don't worry me that much either.  At this point, like others have said, he's a must start for anybody who owns him until further notice.  A month like he had warrants that.

Giolito, at the very least, is at MUSTUBU* territory at this point, regardless of opponent.

*must start until blown up.

Posted (edited)

He had 18 swinging strikes, 21 called strikes, and only 12 fouled balls. I’m not 100% sure on the significance of a low fouled off number but in conjunction with 39 called+swinging strikes, I like that a lot. For reference Scherzer had 23/19/30(swinging/called/fouls) in a dominant start. Seems like the more swinging+called strikes with fewer fouls means he’s really keeping hitters confused. He gave up 5 hits so only 17 pitches(of 103)were touched with a bat, very impressive. 

Edit: he’s 15th in the league in contact%, and the guys above him are mostly aces and potential aces. Also, Blake Snell is ridiculous. 

Edited by mavsfan23

16 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Huh. TIL former Yankees' superprospect Manny Banuelos is still in baseball.

18 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

I looked ahead awhile ago before buying and agree it’s tough but if he makes it through the first half and this thread still sounds as loving as they do now he’s a completely legit ace. He’s had pretty easy matchups thus far but seeing the Indians a second time and still dominating them was a great sign. 

And not to be nitpicking but just being accurate giolito’s next starts if he stays on schedule in the rotation are as follows for the rest of the first half:

@KC

vs NYY

@TEX

vsMIN

vsDET

FWIW he actually bypasses the cubs at wrigley and Red Sox at Fenway

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Unless his command completely deserts him, Gio is a must start ROS. I’m sliding him ahead of Marquez (coors) and Smith (Marlins effect) and into my top 20-25. 

Yeah, I might even have him in my top 15-20 at this point.  Looking at Pitcherlist's current rankings, I don't see myself selling him for anyone below Paxton (#14).  The market always seems so slow to react to post-hype players like Giolito.   There is way too much emphasis placed on prior performance (before adjustments were made or before the talent just clicked) and not enough emphasis placed on current performance and pedigree.  I'm still seeing "experts" saying that he's probably a top 40 arm now.  If that's the sort of talent it takes to acquire Giolito at this point, I'm buying him all day long.  He's the #6 overall pitcher in my points league and 4th overall in PPG.  He's been the most dominant pitcher in the league for over a month now.

• Like 1

I have him ranked 7th in my keeper league rankings. He's in the Nola/Corbin/Degrom tier but has the edge due to his age and pedigree. I'm expecting some backlash but the 6 guys ranked above him are the only guys I'd trade Giolito for straight up. Might even knock some of the older guys (Max, Verlander) down if push came to shove.

1. Max
  2. Verlander
  3. Cole
  4. Snell
  5. Sale
  6. Bauer
  7. Giolito

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wytchclt55 said:

I looked ahead awhile ago before buying and agree it’s tough but if he makes it through the first half and this thread still sounds as loving as they do now he’s a completely legit ace. He’s had pretty easy matchups thus far but seeing the Indians a second time and still dominating them was a great sign. 

And not to be nitpicking but just being accurate giolito’s next starts if he stays on schedule in the rotation are as follows for the rest of the first half:

@KC

vs NYY

@TEX

vsMIN

vsDET

FWIW he actually bypasses the cubs at wrigley and Red Sox at Fenway

Giolito was originally scheduled to pitch on June 9th, but his start was moved up to June 8th.  That means Banuelos is getting skipped in the rotation.  Hell, the way the schedule works out this month with off days, they could skip him multiple times.  And why not?  He might be the worst starter in the majors.  So after the KC June 8th start:

6/13 or 6/14 NYY, 6/18 or 6/19 @ Wrigley, 6/23 @TEX or 6/24 @BOS, 6/28 or 6/29 MIN

I think they’ll want Giolito to start in Wrigley just to flex their muscles a bit and show casual fans in the Chicagoland area that there might be something worth checking for on the south side.  

3 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

I have him ranked 7th in my keeper league rankings. He's in the Nola/Corbin/Degrom tier but has the edge due to his age and pedigree. I'm expecting some backlash but the 6 guys ranked above him are the only guys I'd trade Giolito for straight up. Might even knock some of the older guys (Max, Verlander) down if push came to shove.

1. Max
  2. Verlander
  3. Cole
  4. Snell
  5. Sale
  6. Bauer
  7. Giolito

I haven’t looked this in depth, and would have to look deeper before deciding. But it may not be outrageous. As I watch him, I’m reminded of two guys: Halladay and Verlander. Both elite prospects, both came up and struggled, particularly with walks, then figured it out and were elite. In fact, Glasnow fits the same boat (if he continues what he started this year). I don’t think it’s unique for these big guys to struggle early with command before figuring it out. 

If he struggles later in the season we can all quote this and laugh, but I really think he’s going to turn into a true ace.

• Like 1