Sign in to follow this  
fletch44

Lucas Giolito 2019 Outlook

I'm getting confused. First people tell me that Mike Soroka is the new Greg Maddux, but now Giolito is the new Maddux? Who is the real new Maddux!?

• Haha 1

Maddux has a 22 year old son. Maybe HE's the new Maddux. 

4 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

Anyone worried this week vs yanks?  Feels like I am getting guy shy. 

Worried or not, don't think there is any way you can sit him with what he has done lately.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 5:54 PM, Jor357 said:

Hottest pitcher in baseball . Prove me wrong . 

Last 8 Starts

Jake Odorizzi: 7 wins, 47.67 IP, 4 ER, 0.76 ERA, 5 QS

Lucas Giolito: 7 wins, 56.33 IP, 8 ER, 1.28 ERA, 6 QS

Hyun-Jin Ryu: 7 wins, 59.67 IP, 5 ER, 0.75 ERA, 8 QS

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dylan Jenniges said:

Last 8 Starts

Jake Odorizzi: 7 wins, 47.67 IP, 4 ER, 0.76 ERA, 5 QS

Lucas Giolito: 7 wins, 56.33 IP, 8 ER, 1.28 ERA, 6 QS

Hyun-Jin Ryu: 7 wins, 59.67 IP, 5 ER, 0.75 ERA, 8 QS

By hottest I think he meant sexiest. Those two got nothing on Lucas.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

By hottest I think he meant sexiest. Those two got nothing on Lucas.

He'll never be the sexiest until he goes full Matt Harvey in ESPN The Body issue. 

For anyone worried, looks like he got a terrible zone last night and got 21whiffs on 88 pitches. Even his bad starts don't really look so bad.

6 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

For anyone worried, looks like he got a terrible zone last night and got 21whiffs on 88 pitches. Even his bad starts don't really look so bad.

I gave up watching it after he gave up the 2nd HR to Contreras, but it did seem like the umpire wasn't helping either.  Although most of them are bad, so in the end, I still put it on Giolito and that he just didn't really have it like he usually does.

Still, in the end, I'm not concerned at all by it.  It would have been nice if he could have went into Wrigley and pitched good, but he had to have a clunker at some point.  I still view him as one of the best pitchers in the AL, especially since (like you said) he got plenty of whiffs and K's even when he was off.

23 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

no one should be worried after one bad start at Wrigley. 

even though he gave up 2 more solo shots after that crap first inning, it was nice to see him rebound and not totally implode. 

Two bad starts in a row now, and third in a row where he struggled with his control.  The incredible run had to end eventually, but it's maybe a little concerning at the moment.

Hope he’s not in his head. When he was dominating it seemed he was machine-like. No thinking, just executing the pitch that was called. 

6 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Two bad starts in a row now, and third in a row where he struggled with his control.  The incredible run had to end eventually, but it's maybe a little concerning at the moment.

@ Wrigley and @ Fenway....relax. Neither start was "awful" either. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Hope he’s not in his head. When he was dominating it seemed he was machine-like. No thinking, just executing the pitch that was called. 

don't worry, he'll get to take advantage of bums again soon

Edited by FritzLn

It was a fun ride, but worst to first just doesn't happen like that. He's definitely improved from previous years but he is still who he is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every pitcher goes through a bad stretch.. the cubs and Red Sox have good teams with lots of patient hitters.  Can’t keep an era in the low 2s in an AL hitters park.

2 hours ago, Theschill38 said:

It was a fun ride, but worst to first just doesn't happen like that. He's definitely improved from previous years but he is still who he is. 

lol what? two starts and all these nephews coming out and saying "bAcK tO oLd WaYs". If his streak of 10 starts didn't convince you, or his mechanical changes, or his top prospect pedigree, then nothing will. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Theschill38 said:

LOL dude get out of here.  He was one out from a QS.  Yeah, nevermind his complete domination of the Astros and Yankees over the last month, let's focus on the two games where he goes to Fenway and on a Cold, wet, windy night at Wrigley and come to a judgment that he is who he is. 

The guy was a top prospect because of what he looks like this year, not what he did last year.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Cubs & BoSox can make a lot of pitchers look that way.

Unless Chicago trades him, he'll still be seeing a lot of Kansas City, Detroit & Cleveland though.

Is he that good, or does he just feast on bad teams?  Doesn't really matter, as long as he's a White Sock, does it?

Sane posts are starting to win out again.

The White Sox June schedule has been god awful.  People had to know that he was going to have some rough outings, right?  We covered this a couple pages ago.  Don’t mistake him for Clark Kent in the first place and maybe you won’t be so disappointed.  

I missed my window to sell high! ☹️ says a guy (or gal) who got him for free and doesn’t deserve to have him in the first place.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

I missed my window to sell high! ☹️ says a guy (or gal) who got him for free and doesn’t deserve to have him in the first place.

Ha, I get so angry when some idiot in my league lucks their way into a stud pickup.  I'm the only one smart enough to pick these guys up and actually deserve them on my team.  Everyone else is just a blind squirrel who happens to occasionally find a nut.  I'm sure my league mates all agree and are very understanding when I beat them to the Lucas Giolitos, Ketel Martes, and Yordan Alvarezes year after year.  "He's such a smart fantasy player and he really does deserve those studs" is surely what they're all saying.

And I concur that this is just a tough stretch for Giolito.  It's regression time but better days are ahead.  Good time to buy.

Edited by Von Hayes
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Cubs & BoSox can make a lot of pitchers look that way.

Unless Chicago trades him, he'll still be seeing a lot of Kansas City, Detroit & Cleveland though.

Is he that good, or does he just feast on bad teams?  Doesn't really matter, as long as he's a White Sock, does it?

In a way, it does.  If he's supposed to be an ace like he looked like for a month, you should be able to use him against anybody.  He's merely a solid pitcher then if you have to even consider playing matchups with him, which isn't what a lot of people would have expected if they acquired him at any point in the latter portion of his amazing stretch.

Am I saying he sucks now all of a sudden?  No, but just because a matchup is easy doesn't guarantee anything, especially this season (looking at you, Blake Snell and Trevor Bauer).  He made them all look silly like a pitcher is supposed to.  I think that would lead anyone to believe that he was finally turning into that ace he was more than capable of being, but again, he should be able to be used against anybody regardless of the matchup.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

One doesn’t just become an ace overnight.  It was naive of anyone who traded for him to assume they had an immediate ace in their hands.  Giolito cruised through May and was the most dominant pitcher in the league that month but he didn’t really face much adversity.  He just mowed everyone down.  

What makes guys like Verlander and Scherzer complete studs is that they know how to find that extra gear to get out of trouble when they don’t have their best stuff or when they allow a couple of men on base to lead off an inning (which is going to happen to every pitcher at some point).  

Last night, for example, Gio faced Chavis with the bases loaded in the 6th and was within an out of getting out of the inning with a 3-2 lead and a QS.  It was probably the most nerve-wracking at-bat he’s dealt with in the last month and I think the nerves got to him.  He lost the feel for his fastball and wasn’t even close to the strike zone for balls 3 and 4, walked in the tying run, and got pulled.  If he gets out of that jam, most of his owners would probably today be saying that he had a solid start, 6 IP, 2 ERs, 9 baserunners, 7 Ks, a QS and maybe a W.  He’ll hopefully learn from it and have some experiences to build on the next time he finds himself in similar tight spot.  

Bottom line: with the way pitching is going this year, he’s still a guy I’m happily rolling out there every start in the even the shallowest of leagues unless there is a complete collapse down the road.  

Edited by Von Hayes
Typo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Von Hayes said:

One doesn’t just become an ace overnight.  It was naive of anyone who traded for him to assume they had an immediate ace in their hands.  Giolito cruised through May and was the most dominant pitcher in the league that month but he didn’t really face much adversity.  He just mowed everyone down.  

What makes guys like Verlander and Scherzer complete studs is that they know how to find that extra gear to get out of trouble when they don’t have their best stuff or when they allow a couple of men on base to lead off an inning (which is going to happen to every pitcher at some point).  

Last night, for example, Gio faced Chavis with the bases loaded in the 6th and was within an out of getting out of the inning with a 3-2 lead and a QS.  It was probably the most nerve-wracking at-bat he’s dealt with in the last month and I think the nerves got to him.  He lost the feel for his fastball and wasn’t even close to the strike zone for balls 3 and 4, walked in the tying run, and got pulled.  If he gets out of that jam, most of his owners would probably today be saying that he had a solid start, 6 IP, 2 ERs, 9 baserunners, 7 Ks, a QS and maybe a W.  He’ll hopefully learn from it and have some experiences to build on the next time he finds himself in similar tight spot.  

Bottom line: with the way pitching is going this year, he’s still a guy I’m happily rolling out there every start in the even the shallowest of leagues unless there is a complete collapse down the road.  

With all due respect, I strongly disagree with the first bolded statement. He made mechanical adjustments over the off-season and theoretically isn't the same pitcher we've seen in previous years. He literally brought in his high school pitching coach who made him one of the top prospects in all of baseball two years ago, and reverted back to what he was doing then. If we're going to cherry pick scenarios where Giolito wasn't composed, then let's just eliminate every pitcher in the majors from being an ace. While I agree that composure and the many other soft skills required to be a good pitcher are important, to say he's not an ace is just not true. The second bolded statement sort of contradicts your first - what is an ace if not someone we'd confidently roll out there in every start in even the shallowest of leagues? There are probably a dozen guys max I'd roll out there that match that definition - Giolito being one of them - and all are aces. Giolito may not be a Max or Verlander, but he's an ace and he's not the same guy he was last year. 

Edited by Jyeatbvg
  • Like 2

Sorry for the lack of clarity.  I do think he’s an ace (or at least a near-ace) but I was trying to say that those who traded for him thinking they’d have a top 5-10 bonafide stud on their hands who will just mow down everyone he faces (and even the bonafide studs don’t do that), they need to remember that he’s still young and still needs to learn how to fight through adversity.  That’s what I was getting at.  I’m a big fan and think he’s going to be just fine the rest of the way.

• Like 1