Sign in to follow this  
tonycpsu

MLB Waiver Wire Thread 2019 Week 1

tonycpsu

This thread is for offering suggested waiver wire pickups and streaming options for week 1 of the 2019 MLB season.

It is not for the following:

Comments that fall into one of these categories or are otherwise not on topic for this thread will be removed.

Some discussion of waiver suggetions is allowed, but this is not the place for an extended debate on the merits of any particular player. Take these in-depth discussions over to the outlook threads for the individual player(s) in question.

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for offering suggested waiver wire pickups and streaming options for week 1 of the 2019 MLB season.

It is not for the following:

Comments that fall into one of these categories or are otherwise not on topic for this thread will be removed.

Some discussion of waiver suggetions is allowed, but this is not the place for an extended debate on the merits of any particular player. Take these in-depth discussions over to the outlook threads for the individual player(s) in question.

In this order

Kike

joc

beckham

Pitchers

Stroman

Keller

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

In this order

Kike

joc

beckham

Pitchers

Stroman

Keller

Stroman and Kiki. Yes yes yes to all formats if still un-owned?

Keller: Situational starter to pick up. Be ware he's a FB/SL guy the of mold of Tyson Ross/Justin Masterson. So be sure to bench him when facing tough lefty LU's.

Pederson: Is who he is. Mashes RHP, but BA/SBs are not super sexy. if he's somehow available in daily formats with decent benches. Go for it

Beckman: If you miss out of Kiki, sure. Not super high upside, but usable IF depth.

Marcus Semien

Taylor Rogers needs to be owned in all leagues. Pick him up now

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

In this order

Kike

joc

beckham

Pitchers

Stroman

Keller

Kike Yes, all others = meh. Deeper leagues sure. 

8 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

In this order

Kike

joc

beckham

Pitchers

Stroman

Keller

For standard sized 12 team leagues, this seems like a list of fringe guys that will be added and dropped all season long by desperate teams.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bgbg22 said:

who is Kike?

Enrique Hernandez of the Dodgers

17 hours ago, cs3 said:

For standard sized 12 team leagues, this seems like a list of fringe guys that will be added and dropped all season long by desperate teams.

I don't see Kike being a fringe guy, especially with a starting job and positional flexibility. He's a must-own Swiss army knife, imho. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I don't see Kike being a fringe guy, especially with a starting job and positional flexibility. He's a must-own Swiss army knife, imho. 

Idk. Im not convinced he plays more than 5 times per week, and I'm betting there will be plenty of weeks where he only starts 3-4 games. We're talking about the Dodgers afteralI - depth everywhere.

And I know he was solid last year, but the previous 2 years before that he was terrible. Even if his bat settles somewhere in between, that would make him a fringe fantasy hitter whose value is nearly all in his positional flexibility. Now thats great at the end of the season and going into playoffs when you need a guy you know you can just plug in, but at the beginning of the year I prefer higher upside breakout candidates on my bench

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Yeah he's the good version of Marwin. 

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Idk. Im not convinced he plays more than 5 times per week, and I'm betting there will be plenty of weeks where he only starts 3-4 games. We're talking about the Dodgers afteralI - depth everywhere.

And I know he was solid last year, but the previous 2 years before that he was terrible. Even if his bat settles somewhere in between, that would make him a fringe fantasy hitter whose value is nearly all in his positional flexibility. Now that's great at the end of the season and going into playoffs when you need a guy you know you can just plug in, but at the beginning of the year I prefer higher upside breakout candidates on my bench

How many starts he'll get remains to be seen, but all we can go off of right now is that he was named the starting 2B. 

And we view last year differently. You're expecting him to settle somewhere between 2016-17 and 2018...I see 2018 as growth and a sign of more to come. I don't expect him to be a high-BA guy, but I do believe he can hit for an avg that won't kill fantasy owners. The thing that sticks out to me is his drastic drop in k-rate, and that stuck through ST. That tells me he's a guy who's figuring things out, so I look at his 2019 season as having the potential to be his best ever to this point...with health, I'm expecting it. 

As for positional flexibility and higher upside breakout candidates...Prior to him being named the starting 2B, I drafted Kike in the 27th round of a 30-rd keeper league (rounds attached to keepers), so I guess maybe part of our difference is format dependent. In a daily 12-team league starting 14 hitters (including 5 OF, CI, MI, 2 UT), he's not a fringe guy and his positional flexibility only serves to amplify his value. He's a highly valued bench bat who can start at four different positions on off-days or for an injured starter. And if he hits well enough, he forces himself into the lineup. And drafting him that late, there is no easily identifiable higher-upside breakout candidate...especially when I have an apparently different set of expectations than you do. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 2

Jorge Soler. Potential has always been there and he might have a breakout year. Starting out well. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JaeTM said:

Jorge Soler. Potential has always been there and he might have a breakout year. Starting out well. 

Soler is a beast but the injuries haunt him 

2 hours ago, Motorcat117 said:

Soler is a beast but the injuries haunt him 

New year tho. If he’s healthy could truly impact your team in a good way. He’s in a great spot in that lineup. Many people are down inn KC but with Merrifield, Mondesi and Gordon ahead of him, he’s got great opportunity to rack up RBIs which he’s already doing. 

• Like 1

Matt Festa is someone to keep an eye on in that Mariners CL situation. Cody Gearrin as well.

2 hours ago, jbarretta said:

Anyone like Jake orodizzi, Lauer, and Christian walker? 

Pablo Lopez is the answer.

1 hour ago, gbill2004 said:

Aaron Sanchez. 

All 3 of the blue jays pitchers have my interest. Just need to see them against not the tigers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jbarretta said:

Anyone like Jake orodizzi, Lauer, and Christian walker? 

Walker doesn't look like he'll be getting enough playing time.  Otherwise I would have said definitely yes.

How about Adam Jones?  Maybe he regains se of his vintage form in a new environment.  Thus far he’s looked solid. Always has hit for a good average but it’s not crazy to think he could get up to 25 HRs. 

13 hours ago, nlm said:

Matt Festa is someone to keep an eye on in that Mariners CL situation. Cody Gearrin as well.

Are they any good, have you seen them throw?

Domingo German lines up against DET & BAL this week. If there was ever a week to take a chance on him...

(schedule looks good for several weeks afterward too)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

Domingo German lines up against DET & BAL this week. If there was ever a week to take a chance on him...

(schedule looks good for several weeks afterward too)

Something to monitor about Germans potential starts this coming week, the dreaded openers:..https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/20544/domingo-german

Edited by FISH ON
  • Like 1